Top Shelf Aquatics

Aiptasia and Lemon Juice

patrickf

I have read alot of the threads on killing aiptasia and have seen some people recomend near boiling tank water and also trying lemon juice. Has anyone tried to boil the lemon juice? Do I have to inject it into the aiptasia or just soak it and the rock around it? Thanks for any insight.

Honestly using anything that doesn't keep the aptasia from relesting its spores(think they are gambiots or something) isn't gonna do much but make more aptasia all over the tank. I use aptasia X and it works well, if there is a persistant one I add a little hydrogen peroxide to the mix.

Super Glue Gel.

No injecting, no boiling water, no having to find syringes ...lol

If you can easily reach them, just seal them in their holes.

$3 at CVS for 3-4 little tubes. Save the rest for gluing frags.

Sorry, i am a noob here. Just stick the superglue in the tank and fill the hole?

Super Glue Gel.

surgicalsense
Super Glue Gel.

:P

Sorry, i am a noob here. Just stick the superglue in the tank and fill the hole?

Yep. Just be neat about it. I poke in the center, when it retracts ... glue them in.

Give the glue a sec or two or five to "skin over" and carefully move on to the next.

I have read alot of the threads on killing aiptasia and have seen some people recomend near boiling tank water and also trying lemon juice. Has anyone tried to boil the lemon juice? Do I have to inject it into the aiptasia or just soak it and the rock around it? Thanks for any insight.

You can get a syringe at any pharmacy, no need to boil the lemon juice just get a syringe full and jab the aiptasia with it. I recently had a few hitchhike on some new rock and the lemon juice worked great, I thought about using glue to cover the holes but didn't like the idea of it being able to release new spores that could escape or get elsewhere in my rock

Super Glue Gel.

When super gluing the aptasias in their holes, do you super glue under water?

Every time I've seen this done, the super glue does not stick to the rock and instantly floats.... it then detaches from the super glue and you have wet super glue floating around the tank (and fish with super glued lips) ??

Never? just our experience? Have you ever had this happen or understand what I'm saying? just curious, thanks!!

Also to the OP, ever tried peppermint shrimp? why not?

Super glue sounds interesting I've never tried that I think the gel type would be better for this application.

Aiptasia X works short term but they will spread around the tank once they break up; I would imagine it's the same for boiling water or lemon juice.

I've used lemon juice and white vinegar through a 31 gauge insulin needle with success, you just stab it as quickly as you can while injecting a good bit into it. Though I've had good success with both, white vinegar has worked better. I still had some survive so I decided to give aiptasia-x a try.

It worked very well and the best part about it was I did not need to inject quickly, you slowly move towards it injecting a little into the water. From my understanding it incites a feeding response and they actively consume it. So you just incase them in a little blob of the stuff and any excess degrades safely and naturally. I had a survivor after treatment so it was not 100% effective but it was easier to use.

I've also tried peppermint shrimp with little success.

All of the methods will kill them, you just need to stay diligent. Good luck!

Super Glue Gel.

Dollar store. 3 tubes 1 dollar save the other 2 dollars. :D

I've used lemon juice and white vinegar through a 31 gauge insulin needle with success, you just stab it as quickly as you can while injecting a good bit into it. Though I've had good success with both, white vinegar has worked better. I still had some survive so I decided to give aiptasia-x a try.

It worked very well and the best part about it was I did not need to inject quickly, you slowly move towards it injecting a little into the water. From my understanding it incites a feeding response and they actively consume it. So you just incase them in a little blob of the stuff and any excess degrades safely and naturally. I had a survivor after treatment so it was not 100% effective but it was easier to use.

I've also tried peppermint shrimp with little success.

All of the methods will kill them, you just need to stay diligent. Good luck!

+1

This is in a tank that I purchased off of craigslist and it already has a coral banded shrimp in it. Can I add a peppermint shrimp?

I think I will try the superglue get tonight since I can get it right away and i currently only have two aiptasia and I dont want them to spread.

I went to CVS and got syringes and lemon juice. I saw two heads coming out and immediately injected them with lemon juice and they shriveled up and died. I haven't seen any since.

I had a bad aiptasia problem when I first purchased my tank in Oct. (alread up and running) I bought 6 peppermint shrimp, after 2 weeks they wiped out all the small ones but the bigger ones were still there. I used lemon juice and syringe method on them and they havent returned. (knock on wood) I heated my juices up in the microwave extremely hot first and shot them in the mouth, killed them instantly.

Jeremy

Picked up some hitchhikers on LFS live rock...picked up two peppermint shrimp and the 25 or so aptasia I had were gone in 2 days...now i have trouble keeping them fed, they like to mess with my turbo :(

aiptasia X is horrible, I started with 2 aiptasia, now I have more than 100

+ 1 to the above. They go away for a couple of days and come back 3 fold.....and the stuff bleaches my coraline. Any sure fire ways to get rid of it?

Yep. Just be neat about it. I poke in the center, when it retracts ... glue them in.

Give the glue a sec or two or five to "skin over" and carefully move on to the next.

Tried The glue on the two i had. Applied pretty good and sealed the hole right up. Hopefully it lasts.

Lemon juice worked on the big ones, and a peppermint shrimp took care of the little ones just fine.

What do you do for the lemon juice application? Is it just squirted in the face or actually injected into the mouth or stock?

Inject it with a needle syringe to the base of the aiptasia. I used to have lots of aiptasia, a peppermint shrimp worked wonderfully for me.

Archived