Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help With Lighting for Nano tank

Danoob

Hi,

I've basically been searching this forum for the past 2 months and it's helped me greatly in stepping into the world of reef aquariums. I've had freshwater aquariums for around 2 years and after being given a tank at the start of December, i finally decided to go into Saltwater.

I'll give you a quick introduction to where i'm at, then ask my question on lighting :D

I have an Aquastart 320 which i believe to be 7 Gallons. I have one Hydor Koralia Evo Nano powerhead plus an old aquaone internal filter and heater which came with the tank. The tank includes 5KG of Fiji live rock and i am fully cycled (well not fully as you can argue the cycling process takes months), but in terms of the nitrogen cycle, it's done.

I've added a small clean up crew of a peppermint shrimp, hawaiian red legged hermits and spiny astrea snails. I've added a frag of green Zoanthids, a frag of flordia ricordeas and a torch coral. They are all doing well with the polyps fully open.

My issue is, i don't think my lighting is actually enough to support any coral (eventhough the above seem to be doing well so far). The stock light is 1x 11W PL Compact Fluorescent Tube (Marine Blue).

I've been searching now for around 3 hours about a lighting upgrade. I was looking at the Par38 LED lamps from MarineReefLED:

http://www.marinereefled.co.uk/page3.htm

I am obviously going to have to remove the hood from the tank to fit this.

What i would like to know is:

1) What else do i need to setup this light? Eg. Do i need a ballast? Can i get a stand to clip it onto the back of the tank? etc

2) Would the lamp at MarineReefLED be sufficient or too much for my tank? Am i better with something else.

I've searched for a good few hours so please could someone help a newbie to the hobby out! :)

Thanks!

The 36W is going to scorch that tank. Definitely the 21W Par30 for that tank.

You don't need anything else for a PAR30 or a PAR38 except a normal screw in light socket. You can use a hanging lamp, or a lamp on an arm, as long as it has the standard screw in socket.

Those look like very solid lights for the cost. I wouldn't hesitate on the PAR 30 version. Definitely ease into a full photo period over at least a month to avoid bleaching your coral. This is a significant increase in light compared to what you have.

The 36W is going to scorch that tank. Definitely the 21W Par30 for that tank.

You don't need anything else for a PAR30 or a PAR38 except a normal screw in light socket. You can use a hanging lamp, or a lamp on an arm, as long as it has the standard screw in socket.

Thanks for the swift reply, i'll go with the Par30 21W then, (it's cheaper too!).

What types of coral could i keep under this light? Could it support some SPS?

EDIT:

How would i ease my current corals into this new light setup? Only on for a few hours a day? Hang the lamp further away from the tank (infact how far would you recommend i hang the lamp? The tank is 10" tall by 12" wide)

The par30 lamps on marinereefled are 40 degree lenses, i hear alot of talk about 60 degree lenses being better as it gives more of a spread over the tank. With my tank being small will it matter if i go for the 40 degree lenses?

Also would someone be able to give me some more information (or a link to) on how i should slowly acclimate my current corals into a full photo period using these lights (and how long a photo period should i be aiming for per day with these new lights).

Easiest way is to start at about an hour or so. Make a timeline on how long you want to work up to a full photo period, and then increase the time each day or every few days until you get there. You can use things like fiberglass screens, but the time increase is the easiest.

Easiest way is to start at about an hour or so. Make a timeline on how long you want to work up to a full photo period, and then increase the time each day or every few days until you get there. You can use things like fiberglass screens, but the time increase is the easiest.

This method is semi-incorrect. LED's give off a different type of light. Reducing the photo period does not stop the corals from receiving the stronger light but simply shortens their exposure to it.

The best method is to get window screen from a local hardware store and stack 3-4 squares of window screen on top of each other shading the corals of choice / tank. Then every 5-7 days, take a piece of screen off until you no longer have any.

With this method you do not alter the time your lights are on. Run them as you normally would.

I have an Orphek Par 38 lamp over my 7.5 gallon tank with no problems

Mother of Pearl thats alot of light for your tank. It must be all sps huh? Do you like the UVs?

Back to the topic though. I would say look at the Boost LED par 30s with fixture. They are like $100 and come with a sweet bottleneck clamp. I have two and am growing sps 14 inches below them. Besides, they ave 60 degree optics. Just give them a look. If you want more info on my experience with them just shoot me a message.

I would have gone with a Boost LED as after reading many posts they seen to be one of the best. Sadly I live in the UK and I think it would be too expensive getting them shipped over :(

I've emailed MarineReefLED asking if they have any with 60 degree lenses, as they have only recently switched to selling 40 degree ones. With me having a small tank, am I actually going to see much difference in a 40 degree vs a 60 degree?

Scrap the above, I've actually found a company that supply BoostLED par30's in the UK!

http://www.aquatic-components.co.uk/boostl...cial--177-p.asp

2 Royal Blue, 1 Blue, 1 Neutral and 1 Cool White. 60 degree lenses.

The BoostLED one has 5 LEDs whereas the one at MarineReefLED has 7 (3 Royal Blue - 2 Cool White - 1 Warm White - 1 Fiji Purple) but 40 degree lenses.

I'm going to go with one of these two but not sure which is my best option, which should I go for?

Archived