inTank Media Baskets

10 gallon stocking

ReeferReefer

So my 10 gallon nano reef is finally settling down with a few corals. Its past fully cycled.

I know I want a clown fish but I am wondering about tankmates.

I dont want anything that will move the sand around too much or hide a lot.

I was thinking a royal gramma or a orchid dottyback?

Any other ideas?

My 10 gallon is a cube so it has even less swimming space so I think a six line is out of question.

What do you guys think?

Ive seen the list. I am just wondering if a clownfish and a dotty back would get along, or with a royal gramma.

Its more of an aggression issue that I am unsure of.

altolamprologus

Royal grammas are pretty hit or miss behavior wise. I used to have one that would bite my clown any time he came near the rocks, but my friend has one that pretty much never leaves his cave and doesn't bother anything. On the other hand dottybacks get too big for a 10 gallon so I would avoid those.

animalmaster6

Given enough space and territory room I think you could do either one with the clownfish. If there is any aggression between the two then reintroduce them both to have an equal shot at a territory.

altolamprologus
Given enough space and territory room I think you could do either one with the clownfish. If there is any aggression between the two then reintroduce them both to have an equal shot at a territory.

I still say dottybacks are too big. A full grown one will be half the length of the tank

animalmaster6
I still say dottybacks are too big. A full grown one will be half the length of the tank

Orchid Dottybacks only get to 3.5 inches. Maybe 4 inches.

That should be fine in a 10 gallon with enough space in the rocks IMO.

altolamprologus
Orchid Dottybacks only get to 3.5 inches. Maybe 4 inches.

That should be fine in a 10 gallon with enough space in the rocks IMO.

I guess you're right. Only one's I've seen full grown were in large tanks and are years old so I suppose one would be ok in a 10

The orchid dottyback is what I was hoping for with the dottybacks.

Should I add the clowns first so there is no territory issues?

Why are orchid dottybacks so much more expensive?

Anyone know a good site to get them for a decent price?

They are either from the Red sea or ORA captive bred ones, wither way they're around $40-50

Ive heard of issues with aggression with dottybacks. Thats why I am asking.

So a Royal Gramma would be better with a clown then in a 10 gallon?

do not get a doyyback! they are agressive and will kill a clown

Listen more carefully, it's a orchid dottyback not one of those huge Aussie ones that would kill a shark. I've heard more stories of cherub angelfish and six line wrasse being aggressive.

A female clownfish will stand her ground, even occelaris. HTH

I agree with the aggression of the dottyback. I had one for a couple of months before I tore (seriously) my tank apart to return it. Very cool looking fish but it's about the only thing you can keep. Never bother my clown but everything else it did.

I'd do a fire fire fish; or a goby/pistol combo.

I have a 10G nano with 2 clown, 1 Dottyback and 1 Green Clown Goby and they ALL get along just fine. I see my clowns chasing one another every once in a while but thats normal. Also my bigger clown hangs out with the Dottyback alot. I always see the 2 swimming around together. As for the Clown Goby he has his little home in the rock that he doesn't move much from unless it's feeding time. Sometimes, after lights out, he'll come out and float around the tank. But they all get along just fine and I have no issue with any of them.

I've even seen Damsels with Clowns and they were swimming together too. I'd like to think that if the fish are introduced into the tank at the same time that they will get along.

Why dont do a clown pair. I got a pair and a scooter blenny. basically acts as a species only tank for the clowns and makes em real happy.

A clown pair could be neat but I was hoping for more variation than that.

A bicolor blenny or a scooter blenny would be sweet too.

Just throwing this out there... Could a sixline live his whole life in a 10 gallon with a clown?

Archived