Coral Vue Hydros

Stinky polyps....eeeeewweee!

Atela

I have noticed that my zoanthid polyps smell rather unpleasant. My research so far has come up with "decaying polyps". I would agree with this, except that none of the polyps are dead. Is this a sign that they are not as healthy as they look, and are about to begin a death & decaying process? They all do their normal opening and closing routines daily. Some polyps take a break once in awhile, and don't open with the rest of their colony.

As always, I greatly appreciate the words of wisdom from all of you. Thank you.

yeah many of the corals have a smell to them. Some people really hate the smell and others dont seem to mind it.

I dont mind the smell of acroporas.. and I was buying some from a guy the other day and when he took it out of the tank he said "I love the way these smell" lol I thought i was the only one who kinda liked the live coral smell..

but i have smelled dead corals.. nothing beats the horrible smell of a dead anemone

i wouldnt be smelling zoas if i were you though... :blink:

I know that zoas can spit some nasty toxins, so I keep my distance! I happened to notice the odor as soon as I pulled them out of the water. Some stanky little dudes!

NewZealandReefie

I have a leather that is one of most revolting things I've ever smelt when out of the water. I've not had to frag it yet but it's getting big now so the day might be coming. Not looking forward to cutting in to it lol.

Reefolymia ~ Will definitely keep that in mind! Is it one particular variety of xenia? When I brought my LR home from the lfs, the HH xenias were smashed to smithereens! I didn't notice any odd odors then. I'm female, and can usually smell anything right away. My olfactory must have been on vacation!

NZreefie (Lou) ~ Love your tank journey thread. Can I ask which leather you will be putting under the knife?

The worst is xenia. Once you cut into that stuff the whole room becomes unbearable.

I second this. I get queasy whenever I smell them. :/

I have a leather that is one of most revolting things I've ever smelt when out of the water. I've not had to frag it yet but it's getting big now so the day might be coming. Not looking forward to cutting in to it lol.

Leathers smell the worst of all corals. The worst smell is my skimmer cup. I clean it out in the bathroom with the door closed and exhaust fan running.

The worst is xenia. Once you cut into that stuff the whole room becomes unbearable.

Oh man, I hate the way xenias smell and look. THey took over my tank and killed off alot of my sps corals. I had designer montis (sunsets, rainbow, and superman) along with ORA acros. Now they are all frags with no color. They are impossible to stop once they get going. I had to throw away half my live rocks last weekend to combat them. The smell is awful when they get out of the water.

Matt

I second this. I get queasy whenever I smell them. :/

I third this. One of the worst-smelling things on planet Earth.

Archived