Pod Your Reef

t5ho's or LEDs in my 29g biocube

Alattner

right now i just have the stock lighting in my biocube and was going to upgrade it soon. i have been looking at either doing a t5 ho or a led mod and just would like to get some advise from more experienced reefers. my first thoughts were to go with leds the main reasons were the color options, shimmer and that they would be cool enough to do a diy in the hood without adding a chiller. but the more i read makes me wonder if its really they best choice for what i want. so what i would like to keep in my tank would be mostly zoa's, acans and chalices. those are what i will be mostly filling my tank up with but i also would like to have a clam, plate, and some sort of bta. one of my big things is that i have a 1.5 year old son and my tank is on a desk and there needs to be some sort of cover over the tank so that he cant get in and the fish cant get out. another is heat i would be fine with going with t5ho's but im worried about what kind of heat i will have with the fixture. i do have a reefkeeper lite with temp prob and everything. so i guess my questions are will leds be to intense for my acans and chalices? will it bleach or kill them? if i go with t5ho's how many bulbs should i go with, how high should i hang the fixture to keep the heat at the proper levels? what kind of cover can i get to prevent my son from getting in and the fish from getting out without making it a pain to get into my tank for clean, coral placement, ect? any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

andrew

I can't speak for the rest of the bunch, but my experience with LEDs in my BC14 has been less than impressive. I do absolutely love the shimmer effect they give and the nice color, but I have found that most of the corals I've tried, including acans and zoas (never had a chalice in it) have slowly lost color (with the exception of my hammer coral, but his lighting needs are about as strict as a Beastie Boys music video).

The one shining example of LED love in my tank however is my RBTA, or my RBTAs technically as it has split into two huge monsters (now there is no chance of any high light corals anyway, but it's cool, I like them). So if you want your nem to flourish and take over, then yes, I highly recommend the LEDs. If you want a nice coral garden I recommend the T5 idea, possibly with LED supplement for the shimmer look. Also, if you want the coral garden, ditch the anemone dream, cuz they ain't gonna happen together in a nano. My $.02

I changed out the stock lighting almost immediately, even before I started stocking my tank. It is a custom build from the guys at NanoCustoms (now out of business) that includes three plug-n-play style LED strips. The strips and heat sink were fabricated in their shop and assembled by me with a Meanwell driver. It may be possible that some of the newer LED options are having better results. The Radion LED setup by EchoTech Marine (same maker as the amazingly-life changingly-awesome VorTech pumps) seems pretty bad-ass, but I don't have first hand experience. I'd continue to ask around, but I feel like you might just have to pull the trigger either way on this one because there seems to be a slew of mixed opinions out there on this topic. If you do get LEDs, either a DIY or a pre-fabricated fixture like the Radion, let me know how it turns out for you. I'd hope that eventually the results would be better than what I've seen and even surpass T5 or MH.

I changed out the stock lighting almost immediately, even before I started stocking my tank. It is a custom build from the guys at NanoCustoms (now out of business) that includes three plug-n-play style LED strips. The strips and heat sink were fabricated in their shop and assembled by me with a Meanwell driver. It may be possible that some of the newer LED options are having better results. The Radion LED setup by EchoTech Marine (same maker as the amazingly-life changingly-awesome VorTech pumps) seems pretty bad-ass, but I don't have first hand experience. I'd continue to ask around, but I feel like you might just have to pull the trigger either way on this one because there seems to be a slew of mixed opinions out there on this topic. If you do get LEDs, either a DIY or a pre-fabricated fixture like the Radion, let me know how it turns out for you. I'd hope that eventually the results would be better than what I've seen and even surpass T5 or MH.

Sounds to me like you bleached your coral?

How does it sound like that? I didn't have any corals when I installed the LEDs. So no, I did not bleach my coral, they slowly browned out over time. Yes, I know how to dip and acclimate my corals appropriately.

Archived