inTank Media Baskets

Fish bite

krackerjacksna

krackerjacksna

What would cause my occy clown to bite me, not once but twice during my wc today. This is the same fish that when my 2 year old puts her fingers in the water he swims through them and splashes with her. The params are all good, and no other fish is acting out of the ordinary

ya some times mine will hit me and then wont they have a territory and will watch it. They wont hurt ur 2 year old might scare ur 2 year old but not hurt.

Im going to train mine to not bite. i will reward good behavior and flick it on the nose for biting.

that'll work!

I've read of clowns drawing blood. but i dont remember the exact kind of clown it was. mine never bites and is shy if my hands in the tank he'll check it out, look around, hide, get brave get close then run away

My occy bites me any chance he gets. No nem, just a jerk. This is normal..

edit: Two additional points.. I've had this fish for 2 years. Flicking a clownfish is harder than you think.

My silly lil occy just started the same behavior... It was right after I added my first corals (not that he is interested in them). He has his stupid lil clump of hair algae he wont leave. And the funny thing, it was also right after I first heard of clowns doing this... That's what I get for thinking mine was too wussy to bite! It actually scared the crap out of me! But doesn't hurt. Guess he showed me... Little F*****!

Mine does this, is is kinda a dull thud.. Then I am also dealing with my coral banded shrimp jumping on for a ride...Kinda makes me laugh every time..

Get out.

Oh no, I was serious, except for the arrow part. That I heard from a guard in the barracks.

Back on topic though, I've just stopped sticking my hand in the tank, so I've avoided that issue. :)

• 2 weeks later...
thelowdowndime

i have two decent sized occys and 3 dwarf lionfish in my tank, do you know what fish makes me not want to put my hands in the tank for maintenance? the female clown. she has in fact drawn blood several times, she bites HARD. its hard enough and sudden enough to make you jump, which once cause a secondary injury courtesy of my long spine urchin, ended up in the ER getting spins cut from my wrist. so in essence my clownfish has hospitalized me.

Honestly, though.. it's a 2" fish. The bites don't hurt. Man up. Mine "startled" me a few times cause you never know when it's coming, but, anymore, I just do what I need to and ignore him biting away.

Honestly, though.. it's a 2" fish. The bites don't hurt. Man up. Mine "startled" me a few times cause you never know when it's coming, but, anymore, I just do what I need to and ignore him biting away.

Yep Xris is right - my maroon hurts like hell though! Its getting fairly large and I'm afraid it will break skin soon - the little bastard is mean to me, and my nets... Other fish going around its home nahhh it will make best buddies with it... But a human finger or anything strange in the tank is war

I have a 2.5-3" white-stripe maroon clown and he bites me sometimes. I can't feel his bite though. He also bullies other fish and it's near impossible to put any fish that aren't at least semi-aggressive in the tank. I usually end up taking them back to the LFS.

The only two fish that have stood up to him are a six line wrasse and a royal gramma. Even gobies aren't safe from his wrath.

nevermore1701

My ~2" B&W Oc has drawn blood a couple of times, she'll remind me real quick if I forget to net her while I'm messing around in the tank.

My Domino clown has been getting more aggressive too. It hosts my Wellso. I had a pair of fire clowns in the past (a different tank) and they were awful- they'd bite no matter where my hand was. I've heard gold/marroon clowns are the worst though. They get huge and are very territorial. While I'm at college, my mom takes care of the tank, and this is a picture she sent me the other day. Not too bad, but she wasn't too happy about it!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...969129143_n.jpg

The culprit:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-..._91428800_n.jpg

My Domino clown has been getting more aggressive too. It hosts my Wellso. I had a pair of fire clowns in the past (a different tank) and they were awful- they'd bite no matter where my hand was. I've heard gold/marroon clowns are the worst though. They get huge and are very territorial. While I'm at college, my mom takes care of the tank, and this is a picture she sent me the other day. Not too bad, but she wasn't too happy about it!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-...969129143_n.jpg

The culprit:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-..._91428800_n.jpg

Awesome tank mate

Archived