Cultivated Reef

Power outage, tank chilled, question

JamieSheffield

JamieSheffield

We had a cold and snowy night last night, and lost power sometime after an early bedtime for me...I woke up this morning to a dark and cold house, and got my tank hooked up to the backup power setup ASAP, but the water was cold and had been still for hours while I slept...

Power came back on during the day, my wife plugged everything back into the main grid...when I got back from work this afternoon, everything looked pretty good except the yellow polyps, which are fully retracted and much more pale than previously...almost white...

Should I give them a couple of days to recover, or yank them from the tank...what is the downside/risk of leaving them in?

Any help or advice would be appreciated...

Jamie

The only risk in this case that I could think of is in the case of their death, the decaying matter getting into the tank. Other than that, I'd certainly wait to see if they recover. A white coral isn't necessarily a dead coral, especially in the case of soft tissue like yellow polyps. If you see that they start to decay or you're sure they're dead, remove them.

JamieSheffield

It looks like the only thing that I lost was the my colony of yellow polyps...my rock anemone looked a bit sketchy for a few days, but it had a big meal last night (after everything in the tank fasted for 36 hours), and this morning had perfectly settled back into its rock after hosing down that end of the tank with a monster poop...

Jamie

It looks like the only thing that I lost was the my colony of yellow polyps...my rock anemone looked a bit sketchy for a few days, but it had a big meal last night (after everything in the tank fasted for 36 hours), and this morning had perfectly settled back into its rock after hosing down that end of the tank with a monster poop...

Jamie

strange, usually yellow polyps are pretty tough..?

JamieSheffield
strange, usually yellow polyps are pretty tough..?

Ricordeas...fine, zoas...fine, rock anemone..fine, GSPs...fine, bizarre mystery anemone...fine, yellow polyps...wilted and paled and turned to goo...

Jamie

Archived