Top Shelf Aquatics

Firefish aren't working out for me....

nevermore1701

nevermore1701

Any alternate suggestions? I currently have a smallish B/W Oc, medium sized YWG, and some soft corals in my 12g Nano. I managed to kill two firefish, so they're out. What else should I consider?

nevermore1701
Params? Lid?

NC12, stock lid and lights.

SG: 1.024

PH: 8.2

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrites: 0ppm

Nitrates: 0ppm

Phosphates: .25ppm

KH: 197ppm

Ca: 360ppm

Any alternate suggestions? I currently have a smallish B/W Oc, medium sized YWG, and some soft corals in my 12g Nano. I managed to kill two firefish, so they're out. What else should I consider?

I wouldnt put any more fish in there for 2 reasons. Clowns are semi agressive, and thats prob what stressed the firefish out. YWG can get up to 6'' long and they can also be quite agressive when provoked.

YWG can get up to 6'' long and they can also be quite agressive when provoked.

Going to have to disagree with this one. YWG= Yellow Watchman Goby. They get half that size and are peaceful fish. Not really sure where you got that from. Also, though clowns are semi-aggressive, they most likely would not kill a firefish, I have kept those two fish together before (firefish added after clown, like you) and they were fine. I wouldn't get anymore fish though until you find out what happened to the firefish. They shouldn't just die. I suggest trying another source of fish, but before you buy any make sure everyting is okay. Keep an eye on your current fish to make sure it is not parasitic, and also I suggest getting your params checked by someone else, as test kits do go bad. Good luck.

Have your lfs feed them, make sure they weren't new arrivals. ask how long they've had them. I'd assume if you have a ywg and clown living your water can't be overly bad...

Other type of fish, I have a geometric pygmy hawk in my 8 gallon, cool bugger. I LOVE cardinals. another goby could be a good addition.

have you seen any sign that your clown is aggressive?

Going to have to disagree with this one. YWG= Yellow Watchman Goby. They get half that size and are peaceful fish. Not really sure where you got that from. Also, though clowns are semi-aggressive, they most likely would not kill a firefish, I have kept those two fish together before (firefish added after clown, like you) and they were fine. I wouldn't get anymore fish though until you find out what happened to the firefish. They shouldn't just die. I suggest trying another source of fish, but before you buy any make sure everyting is okay. Keep an eye on your current fish to make sure it is not parasitic, and also I suggest getting your params checked by someone else, as test kits do go bad. Good luck.

Well the next time im at my friends i'll take a picture of it for you, and than you can dispute it. And trust me, when they are that big they can be territorial.

According to this:

YMG

You can order Cryptocentrus cinctus up to 5" in lenght.

exactly, and the bigger the fish, the more territory it assumes.

that Link posted earlier almost makes no sense.... it says in the descriptions the maximum size it reaches is 2.8 inches.... and then below that it has 3 category sizes to choose from, the largest being up to 5 inches..... so which is it ? 2.8? or 5?

that Link posted earlier almost makes no sense.... it says in the descriptions the maximum size it reaches is 2.8 inches.... and then below that it has 3 category sizes to choose from, the largest being up to 5 inches..... so which is it ? 2.8? or 5?

6''.....I had one in my hospital tank for 2 weeks not 10 days ago. Unless Im retarded or there was an optical illusion going on when I placed the fish in the tank and took it out, they get that big.

ALL STATISTICS ARE TAKEN FROM A GENERAL POPULATION, therefore, it is true that there are extremes to a general statistic. Albeit, the larger the environment provided for the animal, the larger it has to grow to its fullest potential. Because something says this fish only gets this big, that fish only likes to eat this food...does not mean its set in stone. Its a general finding. Meaning the average of all cases summed up equals the average or mean statistic. An average also includes extremes which may be on the higher or lower end of the average or mean. Its like saying the average height of human males is 5.7'', and than saying there cant be any 6'' human males because the average is 5.7....I rest my case.

there cant be any 6'' human males because the average is 5.7

There's not :lol:

But seriously, since we are talking about statistics, a 6" ywg has to be many standard deviations away from the mean. Comparing to people, gauging ywg average size as 3" and the 5'7" average size you said, the comparable human would have be 11'2."

I'm not trying to be a dick, I have no ywg experience, and I don't doubt they get that big, but I feel the occasions they do are so rare it's safe to assume most stay around 3."

There's not :lol:

But seriously, since we are talking about statistics, a 6" ywg has to be many standard deviations away from the mean. Comparing to people, gauging ywg average size as 3" and the 5'7" average size you said, the comparable human would have be 11'2."

I'm not trying to be a dick, I have no ywg experience, and I don't doubt they get that big, but I feel the occasions they do are so rare it's safe to assume most stay around 3."

lol nice you know something about stats....im not comparing humans to YWG I was using that as an example of comparisson. My point being, statistics are not set in stone, and I have seen a 6'' ywg, so to say that something doesnt exists because of the presence of a statistic is naive.

Lets not hijack this topic. OP has the YWG and Clown already and is looking for a new tank mate.

A small clown goby, neon goby, redhead goby or something along those lines might work nicely. An additional clown might be a good option too.

Other than that take a look at tailspot blenny and flame hawkfish.

Just some ideas.

nevermore1701
Lets not hijack this topic. OP has the YWG and Clown already and is looking for a new tank mate.

A small clown goby, neon goby, redhead goby or something along those lines might work nicely. An additional clown might be a good option too.

Other than that take a look at tailspot blenny and flame hawkfish.

Just some ideas.

Thanks for your input :)

I had two clowns in there at one point and they did very well. I have considered the neon goby and tailspot blenny, and will look into the others you listed too. Thanks again!

Archived