inTank Media Baskets

What do you think of these silicone seams? Aqueon says there's NO PROBLEM?!

phyber

long story short: purchased an aqueon 40g breeder from petco 12/26/11. i thouroughly inspected the tank from top to bottom before purchase, everything looked fine. paid for it, brought it home.

took the tank to the basement for a leak test. laid it flat on my cement floor, pulled the garden hose in, and filled it up (it's quicker that way). No leaks at all, but immediately I noticed bubbles in the silicone. Puzzled, i immediately blamed it on the COLD cold well water (30-40* vs room temp of 75ish). I emptied the tank, and the bubbles went away.

purchased a marineland stand made just for a 40 breeder, sat tank on it, filled with sand and room temp RODI water...bubbles came back. Again, no leaks, and when I run my finger up the silicone on the inside of the tank, its smooth and sealed tightly to the walls.

frustrated at the appearance and potential concern of leak, i email/call Aqueon for advice. I emailed these pics to them and after their staff reviewed it, they said that the bubbles are from the curing process, where it seems there was a humidity problem and the silicone didn't cure all the way. Being that silicone dries from the outside in, the seal was made, but left the bubbles. They said it wouldn't cause a leak, but I could return it for a refund ($40 :( ) or trade.

Trouble is, i already had a professional glass shop drill for my Glass-Holes.com overflow/return kit, so i'd be out that cash and have to drill again. This also voided the warranty and after i mentioned it, Aqueon quickly got off the phone.

Please see the attached photos, and judge for yourself...are these a problem? Again, tank is not leaking, has been in its current state for almost a week (wet and running) with no issues. My quick fix is to apply electrical tape over the silicone, thus making it look like black silicone. Works for me, but I wish it was how it should be. Where's their QA dept?!?

Pics are thumbnails that you can click to see larger versions:

img1778eg.th.jpg

img1803ob.th.jpg

img1798y.th.jpg

Just lather on LOTS of silicone and you should be fine.

thought about that, but the inside silicone looks great.If I added silicone it would look horrible. I know...i did my own sump...

as mentioned, it is holding strong. the bubbles appear to be between the front and side panes of glass. Being that the black frame and silicone holds the glass to size, as long as the silicone inside the tank is holding there shouldn't be a problem.

The fact still remains that this cosmetic issue looks pretty bad, and being that it's in my bedroom...makes me nervous of leaks :(

The outside is very tight as is, not sure I could put more than a thin thin bead on there.

My worry is that the cavity will stretch over time causing the seal to break

The outside is very tight as is, not sure I could put more than a thin thin bead on there.

My worry is that the cavity will stretch over time causing the seal to break

Lets put it this way.......the silicone that they use is stronger than you might think/stronger than what you buy as a consumer from Home Depot. It is not going to expand or stretch. Just like you don't see any other silicone seam stretching.

Yes, yours has bubbles and therefore is not as pretty. But unless many of the bubbles are literally up against the glass forming air cavities where you would want a seal, the bond is still strong between the glass panes. You still have the vast majority of the glass touching silicone and not bubble/air. There will be no more stretch in your tank versus mine.

Water test it for a couple weeks. If you see no leak, I don't think you ever will see one.

Thank you for your advice. Maybe indeed I am underestimating the silicone. I purchased the aqueon silicone tube for my DIY sump and the glass baffles are in there like crazy....

My fix of tape works fine for me, I just hate that it's this way. Still, a breeder for $40 is still a good deal. Just don't want a lagoon in my bedroom floor

I had the same thing happen to my 40 breeder when I had it set up. I even bought a 2nd tank and the same thing happened to that one. I recently setup a 65g (same dimensions but taller) and it has bubbles showing too. Based on my experience, and what I learned from doing research online/speaking to several companies, I determined that it's normal. The 40 breeder is the biggest/longest rimmed tank with 1/4 inch glass (if I remember correctly) that you can buy without a center brace. So, the glass will bow a little bit when filled which is why you only see the bubbles when filled. My LFS has one as a frag tank and it has bubbles too. I don't think it will leak, but it's something you will have to be comfortable with and not mind looking at. Hope this helps.

Thanks poodges! Very reassuring!

I wonder why the 40 didn't get thicker glass or center brace? It's only 1' short of 75g size :/

Money issues.

Thanks poodges! Very reassuring!

I wonder why the 40 didn't get thicker glass or center brace? It's only 1' short of 75g size :/

Its a lot more shallow than a 75 gallon. The taller the tank the more pressure that is put on the glass.

Heres my background, and my $0.02.

I built aquariums for a regional manufacturer for just under 7 years. Everything from 2.5 gallons, to customer 6 footers.

Here is my $0.02:

Not only would that seam have never passed QC at the little place i worked at, if the tank is large enough (what size is it?) I will almost guarantee that will leak eventually.

I dont mean to upset you OP, but thats an unacceptable seam. I would really see what aqueon plans to do if it leaks or better yet ask for a replacement.

edit: I see you mentioned breeder size, so maybe 40 gallons? Thats right on the edge of where i would be worried.

Heres my background, and my $0.02.

I built aquariums for a regional manufacturer for just under 7 years. Everything from 2.5 gallons, to customer 6 footers.

Here is my $0.02:

Not only would that seam have never passed QC at the little place i worked at, if the tank is large enough (what size is it?) I will almost guarantee that will leak eventually.

I dont mean to upset you OP, but thats an unacceptable seam. I would really see what aqueon plans to do if it leaks or better yet ask for a replacement.

edit: I see you mentioned breeder size, so maybe 40 gallons? Thats right on the edge of where i would be worried.

Thank you for your input, however worrisome it may be.

But keep in mind those blemishes aren't visible at all while the tank is empty. So a QA wouldn't see them unless the tank is full, which I doubt happens on every tank.

I have several emails from aqueon but the jest of it is that the glass is flexing just enough to flex the silicone and show the bubbles that were left inside the silicone due to humidity.

Yes, it's a crappy excuse to cover poor manufacturing. But the tank is running at full capacity, with a 300gph sump return setup, and two Koralia Evo 750gph power heads. 30 lbs of sand and 40 lbs of live rock sitting in it, and no leaks...just eyesores.

As mentioned, I covered the seams with electrical tape and I quite like the look. Its just bad I have to use it :/

I bought a 40B from the PetCo. sale, as well. I don't have the bubbles that you seem to have with yours, but the silicone job on these tanks is shoddy... and quite frankly, that's putting it nicely. But I suppose that's the difference between a nice custom aquarium and one that you buy from a pet food warehouse. :)

I went back to PetCo. the following week and even stopped in last week... there are two more 40B's in the store and they both look the exact same way as mine. I was going to return mine... but what's the point? The silicone job on all of them seem to be sub-par at best...

I bought a 40B from the PetCo. sale, as well. I don't have the bubbles that you seem to have with yours, but the silicone job on these tanks is shoddy... and quite frankly, that's putting it nicely. But I suppose that's the difference between a nice custom aquarium and one that you buy from a pet food warehouse. :)

I went back to PetCo. the following week and even stopped in last week... there are two more 40B's in the store and they both look the exact same way as mine. I was going to return mine... but what's the point? The silicone job on all of them seem to be sub-par at best...

True. Globs of silicone everywhere near the top. But I dont want a rimless posh tank, with starfire and unicorn glass....just a big box of water, so I can accept some issues. As long as it stays IN the box...

My other aqueon tanks are looking good for the most part but this is also the biggest tank I have from them

Got in touch with aqueon again and they are refunding me for the tank, I couldn't handle thinking about the seal breaking

I will have to find a dealer that can order a magaflow 65g tank to work with my stand.

Got in touch with aqueon again and they are refunding me for the tank, I couldn't handle thinking about the seal breaking

I will have to find a dealer that can order a magaflow 65g tank to work with my stand.

thats good bubbles like that will eventually lead to tank failure if you have ever taken a tank apart- when you put pressure on the glass the silicone will bubble like that just before letting go

thats good bubbles like that will eventually lead to tank failure if you have ever taken a tank apart- when you put pressure on the glass the silicone will bubble like that just before letting go

While draining the tank I watched the seams, and when the tank is as little as 1/10th full the blemishes appear. Very sketchy.

Archived