SaltCritters.com

GFO Reactor Needed?

ccapasso

Last month I was using tap water and having issues with high levels of phospates. I put a bag of GFO in and things settled down.

I am now using RO/DI water and am wondering do I need to get a GFO Reactor as well?

Last month I was using tap water and having issues with high levels of phospates. I put a bag of GFO in and things settled down.

I am now using RO/DI water and am wondering do I need to get a GFO Reactor as well?

Do you have high phosphates?

There's no reason to treat what you don't have.

Do you have high phosphates?

There's no reason to treat what you don't have.

I will be testing them again to find out. I just started using the RO/DI water so it wouldn't be a very accurate test.

Or, am I incorrect in thinking that RO/DI water will not contain phosphates?

I believe low-level PO4 can NOT show up on a TDS meter that reads in whole figures.

A TDS meter tests for dissolved solids.

A PO4 test kit tests for phosphate presence specifically.

I believe low-level PO4 can NOT show up on a TDS meter that reads in whole figures.

A TDS meter tests for dissolved solids.

A PO4 test kit tests for phosphate presence specifically.

Ok..Well I have a test kit and will check for phosphates again to see. There is a GFO Reactor FS and I was going to grab it if I indeed need it. Don't want to keep the guy waiting though if I don't need it.

Ok..Well I have a test kit and will check for phosphates again to see. There is a GFO Reactor FS and I was going to grab it if I indeed need it. Don't want to keep the guy waiting though if I don't need it.

I ascribe to this school of thought:

If you don't have evidence that it is needed, it probably isn't.

I'd just pick up a GFO reactor as needed. I guess you could use it for other media too though.

I just bought one off a NR member but I really don't plan to use it anytime soon unless I determine that it is necessary.

I'd go by the PO4 test results and visual inspection of your tank.

Good advice. Thanks!

So far, the tank looks good. No red algae (can't remember the name of it). I'll test Phosphates and see what they come backs as.

Good advice. Thanks!

So far, the tank looks good. No red algae (can't remember the name of it). I'll test Phosphates and see what they come backs as.

Cyano.

Not that a GFO reactor is a bad investment, but if you're budgeting equipment by necessity, you might could spend that extra cheese somewhere else.

So I tested my Phosphates and they are 0! Hooray!

Also tested Nitrates again and they are 0! Hooray!

So far, all is well.

Archived