Top Shelf Aquatics

What is wrong with my candy cane

patback

I bought a candy came frag about 3 months ago and heard that they are very fast growers. I have it in moderate to high light, and feed it filter feeder food from reefcleaners and small meaty chunks.( which it spits out within 10 minutes) It'sheads grew very quickly at first, and then everything just stopped its still just 2 heads on one stalk

Originally it was 1 oblong shaped head, then obviously split into 2. Why am I getting no new branches? All other Lps is doing great and growing.

Not sure I have an answer but if the heads are still plump and alive I wouldn't worry to much about why it's not branching. It will eventually...

I guess I'm jumping to conclusions since I don't know what ". Fast growers" qualify as. How Long typically shoul it take for a candy cane to branch out?

To be honest, I've had one for three years or so and it's never branched out. That's why I was surprised to hear you mention that they were fast growers. I can't say that's been my experience with them at all...

I have had mine for nearly a year, started as two heads and still is. They puff up much larger now but still only two. Sps is growing good, my Duncan started at 3 heads 5 months ago and is now up over ten. I would consider the candy cane a slow grower IME lol.

Feeding is what make them grow quickly. I've noticed that the kryptonite green candy canes don't grow as quickly as the pink ones though. May just be something funny about my tank.

My candy cane didnt grow at all for about 8 months until i moved it about 6" directly below my 150 MH. Since then it has sprouted 5 new heads in about 3 months with no feeding.

I bought a candy came frag about 3 months ago and heard that they are very fast growers. I have it in moderate to high light, and feed it filter feeder food from reefcleaners and small meaty chunks.( which it spits out within 10 minutes) It'sheads grew very quickly at first, and then everything just stopped its still just 2 heads on one stalk

Originally it was 1 oblong shaped head, then obviously split into 2. Why am I getting no new branches? All other Lps is doing great and growing.

When all else fails have you tried threatening them? lol [ works w/ the kids]

I have two types of canes. both have better color in med. light but grow better in higher light. turkey basting food directly on them always seems to make them happy.

Ours grew like mad until we got rid of it. It was about 8" below the surface of the water. Never spot fed, but kept calcium and alkalinity up. The heads split so fast it was unbelievable. I think it depends on your tank, and how vigorous the colony is. Some are more vigorous than others...

A picture might help, if the candy cane is not fully inflated it may be a little aggravated. Honestly my candy cane grew real slow for some time.. I neglected its feeding - but since i have been feeding it - it is growing like crazy. I sprinkle some of johny's food, with a bit of brine shrimp in the blend in a jug.. i start the feeding by just blowing a little above the coral and it will eventually get its feeders out - this is when i feed it ..

Archived