Top Shelf Aquatics

Is this majano?

wcminor

Hey everyone. I've got a 30-gallon saltwater tank, with a clownfish and a yellow tang, about twenty pounds of live rock, and about thirty in live sand. I've also got a zoanthid coral and a feather duster worn. It's been going for about six weeks, but I've had the livestock in it for about three. I'm done cycling, and all the levels in my tank are normal.

This post is concerning something that appeared on my live rock about four-five days ago. It's clearly an anemone, and definitely not aiptasia. (I had that problem last week and solved it with a butane lighter.) I'm concerned that it might be majano, but I don't know enough about anemones to tell one from another. It looks a LITTLE like the picture in my book, which is why I'm concerned. I've never heard of an anemone just appearing in a tank after five weeks. My clownfish doesn't seem to want anything to do with it, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Also, it only comes out when the light is on; when it's off, the thing curls up and I guess it goes to sleep.

It's in an awkward place in my tank, so I got the best picture I could. If you can't tell from the picture, let me know and I will try to get a better one.

Thanks!

post-71349-1326910825_thumb.jpg

First question, has it ever moved from place to place? If yes, then it's an anemene. Second, it doesn't look very majano-y to me. The majano's I've seen are brightly colored. What is it actually? Not sure.

First question, has it ever moved from place to place? If yes, then it's an anemene. Second, it doesn't look very majano-y to me. The majano's I've seen are brightly colored. What is it actually? Not sure.

Shrooms and nems both move. And the majority of majanos I've seen are lack luster and brown. Best way to get an ID is to remove it from the rock work if you can and snap an other pic

ive seen tons of majanos they only have one layer of tentacles and that definatley has multiple rows of tentacles, my opinion is it is a hairy mushroom, do you have something to reference the size?

good we are unbelievably certain that mushrooms are nems, this is good, the point is they are categorized differently, anemones are reffered to differently than corillimorphs (mushroom corals aka mushroom anemones) and both do not deserve to die slowly by fire as much as majanos and aiptisia.

all are anemones, but require a simple way of telling apart, so we refer to them as if they totally unrelated.

still say hairy shroom.

good we are unbelievably certain that mushrooms are nems, this is good, the point is they are categorized differently, anemones are reffered to differently than corillimorphs (mushroom corals aka mushroom anemones) and both do not deserve to die slowly by fire as much as majanos and aiptisia.

all are anemones, but require a simple way of telling apart, so we refer to them as if they totally unrelated.

still say hairy shroom.

:mellow:

they are taxonomically distinct. I cant link you wikipedia atm (blackout) but they are in two distinct orders. Corillimorphs are seperate from 'true anemones'. technically they can be called anemones--but they arent 'true nems' so personally I think that's dum

Perhaps it is one of the same guys that I have in my tank. I was afraid it was majano too, but it turned out to be a rock anemone. Here is a link to my N-R thread. There is an image of mine there. Yours sort of looks like some sort of paly. Little difficult to tell in the picture.

I moved the rock around so I could get a better picture. Unfortunately, it now looks more like majano to me than it did before. I enlarged this as much as I could before everything gets fuzzy. I'm going to try to get some better pictures.

post-71349-1326948506_thumb.jpg

Mushroom!... I think. It's hard to tell. It's a soft coral, harmless. It will grow quickly and multiply. That looks like it could be a yuma, but I can't tell since it's so small. Very nice coral IMO. :)

doesn't look like a mojano to me. I'm going to say mushroom and not hairy since i have one and they look more well.. hairy lol. From the second angle you put up it looks ricordea like.

still say hairy shroom.

True anemones = Order Actiniaria

"Mushrooms" = Order Corallimorpharia

see this topic for a taxonomy lesson by me.

And by the way it is manjano (full scientific name is Anemonia manjano)

OP: looks like a corallimorpharian (shroom or ricordia) perhaps a soft coral, let it grow and see what happens, if it starts to grow exponentially kill it if you want it gone, no harm yet.

True anemones = Order Actiniaria

"Mushrooms" = Order Corallimorpharia

see this topic for a taxonomy lesson by me.

And by the way it is manjano (full scientific name is Anemonia manjano)

OP: looks like a corallimorpharian (shroom or ricordia) perhaps a soft coral, let it grow and see what happens, if it starts to grow exponentially kill it if you want it gone, no harm yet.

Ill take a look at the taxonomy info, thanks for the correction, i just meant not scientifically, but within the hobby they are all usually considered anemones of one sort or another, even if the mushrooms aren't "true" anemones, sort of like zooanthids and palys', they are a colonial anemone cousin as well to my understanding is this correct?

definately appears to be a ricordia of some sort now that i see it better, the tentacles are short and rounded, not spikey like a hairy shroom, if you don't want it send it to me ill pay for the shipping and give it a good home, don't kill it if it's not a pest, or at least turn it into an LFS (but that might be a death sentance in and of itself from some LFS i've seen :o )

first image-Rock Anemone

Second image-Majano

Third Image-Ricordia Yuma (green)

Rock_anemone.bmp

Archived