ReefCleaners.org

Zoas and palys for caves and shady spots

Atela

My aquascape consists of several caves, bridges and crags, that leave plenty of shady and dimly lit areas. My choice is to fill some of these areas with some sort of zoas and palys. These corals are photosynthetic and rely on light. Are there some zoas that thrive better in less light than others? This is a time when those 'street names' come in handy! Can anyone suggest other low-growing corals to line caves with?

You could try dendros or sun coral or other non-photosynthetic corals. They do require feeding, but are pretty cool looking. There may be some non photo zoas but I've never heard of any.

FWIW, all my palys do better in the shade than they do in direct light. The larger the polyp, the less light they seem to want. YMMV of course.

And a big +1 for sun coral, that's the best thing to put in your darkest spot IMO.

FWIW, all my palys do better in the shade than they do in direct light. The larger the polyp, the less light they seem to want. YMMV of course.

And a big +1 for sun coral, that's the best thing to put in your darkest spot IMO.

well when there is a bigger polyp they pull more stuff out of the tank water

Eagle eyes and keds reds do good in low light, you could also look at chalice..... They do well in low light.

This is why it is so important to name those zoas and palys! Thank you!

Archived