Cultivated Reef

Lighting for Pico Tank

SurfNTurf

I have a 3 gallon pico tank with a lid and have been using the 18w compact lighting fixture that came with the tank. I have been able to keep zoas and a mushroom in it in the past but moved them into my larger reef tank. I now put in a couple daisy corals and a pipe organ, but they don't seem to be opening up. Is the 18w enough or would I have to upgrade to something like a coralife t5 mini lamp fixture (12W). thanks!

The pipe organs need medium to high lighting, but I've heard good things about those mini t5s. However I'm a big fan of par30 bulbs. I have 4 of them from boostLED and I love them, especially their new bulbs with neutral white and regular blue.

The ecoxotic par38 bulbs are great bulbs but may be much for a pico. You can use them and just put it higher above the tank or you can go with a boostled par30 bulb. Either will be good.

The ecoxotic par38 bulbs are great bulbs but may be much for a pico. You can use them and just put it higher above the tank or you can go with a boostled par30 bulb. Either will be good.

Thanks! If you could just explain something to me (i'm rather new lighting that's not stock) what is the difference between par38 and par30? Is it just strength?

Archived