Cultivated Reef

Crud off the tank bottom please.

RustyRocket

So I've recently Removed the sand from my tank for the bare bottom look, it's ok but...there is crud n bits n pieces of stuff everywhere, I only just changed it, is this normal? It all settles in a few places around the tank, how do I remove them?? Apart from hosing it up by syphoning that is.

You could use one of the most important tools us fellow reefers use. Ready ..... wait for it....... here it comes.......

A good o'l Turkey Baster. One of the best tools to use as you can feed with it, clean with it, etc.

altolamprologus
Not to hijack, but is 500 gph from one circulation pump enough to keep crud off the sand?

It depends on the size of your tank, the layout of the rock, and other sources of flow. There is no general rule that can be applied. Try it and see if you need to add more.

You could use one of the most important tools us fellow reefers use. Ready ..... wait for it....... here it comes.......

A good o'l Turkey Baster. One of the best tools to use as you can feed with it, clean with it, etc.

My turkey baster is the handiest tool I have. Blows off all the rock, feed the fish, plus you can can still baste your turkey with it, or make bubbles in chocolate milk....

Take the big siphon tube off the siphon, and use just the hose. It'll be a lot stronger, and you can scrape along the glass while it sucks it right up. Just look out for snails, crabs, and small fish. They'll go for the ride of a life time.

My turkey baster is the handiest tool I have. Blows off all the rock, feed the fish, plus you can can still bast your turkey with it, or make bubbles in chocolate milk....

Take the big siphon tube off the siphon, and use just the hose. It'll be a lot stronger, and you can scrape along the glass while it sucks it right up. Just look out for snails, crabs, and small fish. They'll go for the ride of a life time.

I had to siphon my fish from my return area recently and he seemed to have a blast.

Archived