Coral Vue Hydros

Solana XL67 or CAD 100G Artisan

LouDog3

Well,

I have been wanting to upgrade for a while. But never really came across a tank I really wanted.

For me it's looks, quality, and flexibility in hardware.

I like how they are both pretty much AIO, but you can pick your own equipment. I would buy the CAD without lights, pump, and skimmer. I would put in a little better equipment. Same goes for the Solana.

I have read up some on CAD and I had a bad taste in my mouth after looking around the forums. So I decided to test the water and email CAD. I received an email back from Andrew in minutes. I was impressed. We exchanged about 4-5 emails. I feel very comfortable to order from them after our chat.

So with all that, are there any benefits to one system over the other? ( other than size being obvious)

- Low Iron/high quality glass

- Quality of the cabinet

- Quality of the Sump

- Quality of the seams

Both pretty close in price. (CAD may be a little cheaper without the lights/pump/skimmer)

Both are nice tanks, but unless you want to keep a lot of fish, I would go with the solana. The CAD stands are trash, but their tanks are pretty nice. Solana stands aren't incredible either, but they are much better than the cadlights. Also, the CAD overflows are way larger than they really need to be. The only problem with the solana is that the sump is really small. It will fit a skimmer, but that's about it. I would suggest selling the solana sump and either getting a custom made one, or making your own. Unless you plan on running a chiller, you can make a sump that takes up the whole stand, rather than the stock one which takes up les than half. The solana also has low-iron glass which is a plus. It does end up being more expensive, because the CAD includes a good skimmer and a bunch of other equipment, but I think it's worth it.

I've got a custom Artisan shipping out today or tomorrow.

Even though I've had one shipping delay, I'm very pleased with the overall order.

I ordered just the tank, which I'm doubting Current is willing or able to do.

Personally, I also prefer the 100g dimensions in addition to the volume.

If you piece together a CAD, I think you'll be plenty happy.

What I've seen @ my local dealer is impressive in terms of build quality.

GL.

Thanks for everyone's help. Even those I pm'd.

I think I'm going to order the 100G Artisan with the Walnut Cabinet. Tank #3, my wife won't mind....right?

IME while researching CAD, most were only displeased with shipping or the cabinet.

The shipping delay I've experienced and TBH, I expected some level of flux with a custom tank order.

The cabinet I was not in the market for however, so I never payed much attention.

For the price, and willingness to accommodate, I couldn't be happier.

Now if they would just ship the damn thing already! Lol, but srsly.

IME while researching CAD, most were only displeased with shipping or the cabinet.

The shipping delay I've experienced and TBH, I expected some level of flux with a custom tank order.

The cabinet I was not in the market for however, so I never payed much attention.

For the price, and willingness to accommodate, I couldn't be happier.

Now if they would just ship the damn thing already! Lol, but srsly.

LOL..

Well, they said they just finished a batch of the 100's. With 3 starfire sides. I am trying to find out if they have the cabinets in stock and ready to go. I am sure I will switch out the plumbing, I have read some issues on them. But the solana's plumbing isn't the nicest either. The plus I see is the equipment, size, and better sump for the same price.

Sooooo close to pulling the trigger.

Why ask for permission, when you can ask for forgiveness. :o

I am sure I will switch out the plumbing, I have read some issues on them. But the solana's plumbing isn't the nicest either.

Meh.

Plumbing is so cheap and easy.

You're just paying retail anyway.

I like their ability to build glass boxes.

The plumbing and equipment, not as much.

PULL IT! I'm tired of being the only chump waiting on a CAD shipment.

:D

I'm pumped. Now to for lighting.

Maxspect, AI, or Vertex?? I really want a sunrise/sunset system.

Do you think I can get away with 2 of the AI or Max? Or should I go with 3 modules.

No Radion? lol

I think you could do 2 units supposing each unit covers a 2' x 2' area, which most do.

I'm curious to see what the AI Vega looks like.

I'm probably about 6 weeks out on making a lighting decision though.

I'm looking at a single Radion, AI unit, 4x PAR bulbs, or 2x Kessil LEDs.

I'm pumped. Now to for lighting.

Maxspect, AI, or Vertex?? I really want a sunrise/sunset system.

Do you think I can get away with 2 or the AI or Max, or should I go with 3 modules.

I'd hit up two AI's and add 2 kessils down the road. That would be awesome.

The Radion's are nice; don't get me wrong. But 750 bucks just becuase it sync's with a power head...no thanks. I'd rather buy 2 Maxpect's or AI's and get 2 MP10's with the extra cash. The New Black Edition AI's look nice.

The Radion's are nice; don't get me wrong. But 750 bucks just becuase it sync's with a power head...no thanks. I'd rather buy 2 Maxpect's or AI's and get 2 MP10's with the extra cash. The New Black Edition AI's look nice.

Black AI's would look so awesome with that tank! I've been thinking about buying that 100G since last year. I think it's a little too big for me though. I might have to buy their 70G though. I just have to tear my 34 down and sell it first. And that's making me lazy just thinking about it.

Archived