ReefCleaners.org

New guy here...

solefald

Hello,

New guy here. I've been drooling over reef tanks for a long time, and I believe I finally have the means, time and patience to start one of my own. I have some prior experience with fresh water tanks (long time ago), and for the past 2 years i've been keeping a pair of ribbed newts in a 10G tank. They laid a gazillion of eggs recently, so I moved the adult ones into a new 20G and planning on re-using 10G as a reef tank as soon as I sell/give away baby newts (probably in about a month or so).

Is there anything special I need to do before using old newt tank for SW? I am planning on giving it a complete wash to get rid of some algae currently growing on the walls, getting rid of the mechanical filter currently in it

and converting the 18" 15W fluorescent light to something more suitable for a reef.

I would like to try the natural filtration method and just use powerhead(s) (or do I still need a filter of some sort?). However, being a nerd, I would like got get some kind of controller or a similar device down the road. Not because I am lazy, but because I love graphing all sort of things and and devices that let me extract data and make pretty graphs have a great appeal to me. As I said, I am a nerd.

Also, a friend of mine is an avid reefer with multiple large tanks, so I am hoping to get some help from him in addition to the wealth of information these forums and internet in general offer.

Is there anything special I need to do before using old newt tank for SW? I am planning on giving it a complete wash to get rid of some algae currently growing on the walls, getting rid of the mechanical filter currently in it

and converting the 18" 15W fluorescent light to something more suitable for a reef.

I would like to try the natural filtration method and just use powerhead(s) (or do I still need a filter of some sort?). However, being a nerd, I would like got get some kind of controller or a similar device down the road. Not because I am lazy, but because I love graphing all sort of things and and devices that let me extract data and make pretty graphs have a great appeal to me. As I said, I am a nerd.

Also, a friend of mine is an avid reefer with multiple large tanks, so I am hoping to get some help from him in addition to the wealth of information these forums and internet in general offer.

1 - soak it in vinegar with water combo - will clean it out real good - you're best investment is the light - research the light threads.

2 - natural filtration works fine, my fluval edge runs it - the only time you'll "need a filter" is to run carbon or something.. but in a small tank large water changes are more effective.

You are still going to have to do water changes / top offs

3 - take as much good stuff off of your friend as he'll give you, I'm assuming he wont just throw it all on ya at once either.. and he'll start ya out small like w/ gsp if you wanted coral etc..

edit oh.. and :welcome:

i'm a noob too and I have heard great things about the fishneedit.com lights... I just ordered mine, but check them out... from all the research I've done, they are great fixtures and way better if you upgrade the lamps!

1 - soak it in vinegar with water combo - will clean it out real good - you're best investment is the light - research the light threads.

Do you happen to know water to vinegar ratio i need?

You are still going to have to do water changes / top offs

Oh, absolutely! I am willing to put as much effort as it requires and then some :)

edit oh.. and :welcome:

Thank you! :)

Do I *need* RO/DI water, or can I purchase large jugs of drinking water from the machine in front of the grocery store?

Another thing that has been suggested to me is getting filtered ocean water from a local pier. Apparently, a lady who donated money for the pier to be built was a salt water aquarium enthusiast and donated money under one condition: free access to filtered ocean water for anyone who needs/wants it. It does look like "red tide" can be an issue with ocean water.

http://sdmas.org/faqs.php#water

While the synthetic salt mixes that are now available are of excellent quality and from the perspective of marine husbandry are as good as ocean water, many hobbyists use natural ocean water both for convenience and to save money.

The best place to collect ocean water locally is from the Scripps Pier in La Jolla, CA. The pier is accessible from La Jolla Scenic Drive and a tap at the head of the pier supplies ocean water that has been filtered by several sets of natural sand filters.

Ah, I was browsing around last night for some kind of aquarium log software for a Mac and found Maquarium. I am not affiliated with the developer in any way and have not tried it, but the software looks interesting. I really like the fact that it saves your data in XML format, so it would be very easy to automatically update the file with an external script or something.

I will try to keep this thread updated on my progress...

Welcome to Nano Reef.

I use the vinegar method as well.

I used to get water from a kiosk till I checked the TDS of that source and the water from a few local LFS's.

Long story short ... I now make my own.

Ya could look into an Aqua Clear HOB filter.

They are very popular on smaller tanks and people mod them into fuges and all kinds of stuff keeping some of the thank clutter (like heaters) in the unit.

good luck on your setup.

Welcome to Nano Reef.

Thank you!

Ya could look into an Aqua Clear HOB filter.

They are very popular on smaller tanks and people mod them into fuges and all kinds of stuff keeping some of the thank clutter (like heaters) in the unit.

good luck on your setup.

Forgot to mention... HOB things wont work for me. I have a cat who loooooves to get into places he should not be getting, so I have to keep a locking metal screen on my tanks, and I was hoping to avoid equipment that would force me to remove the screen. I guess I could always find a hood that would completely cover equipment and water surface.

I was thinking of attaching the heater at the bottom of the tank in a horizontal position behind the rocks. From what I understand there is no single preferred mounting position for heaters. Correct?

I was thinking of attaching the heater at the bottom of the tank in a horizontal position behind the rocks. From what I understand there is no single preferred mounting position for heaters. Correct?

If it's fully submersible ( most are ) then your good. Just be sure it has decent flow around the unit.

:welcome: nerd!

I think youll fit in well here :happy:

in terms of filtration/filters/etc +1 to a HOB aquaclear modded into a fuge. it would still be 'natural filtration' and provide immense benefits to your tank

gl!

Ok, I am trying to put together a list of essentials I would need before I even start thinking of adding water to my tank.

1. Tank - Got 10G. Need to evict current occupants and thoroughly clean it.

2. Light - Would have to buy. I don't think i can convert the existing one I used for newts. Researching options.

3. Submersible Heater(s) - Do not have any. Will probably need an extra one so i can mix water in a bucket.

4. Power Head(s) - Do not have any. Will probably need an extra one so i can mix water in a bucket.

5. Refractometer - Do not have one yet. Are Marine Refractometers the same people use for Beer/Wine?

6. Timers for the lights.

7. Submersible Thermometer - Almost forgot this one. Digital?

8. Extra bucket for mixing water.

9. RO/DI Water - Looks like WalMart sells it.

10. Salt Mix - Currently researching my options.

11. Live Rock

12. Live Sand

For now I will probably have to avoid anything HOB, Skimmers or Fuges. If it turns out that I do need them, I will probably have to purchase a new tank with a hood and start over.... I know i will always be able to find a use for this 10Gal.

Am i missing something here?

Are there tools beside refractometer that I would need to use to check water quality?

I, for one, Welcome my future Marine overlords :)

If you are worried about your cat getting into your tank or a HOB fuge you can always cut lids out of "egg-crate" light diffuser you can get at any big hardware store for $10-$13 and when you look at the tank head on you cant even tell its there. You don't have to buy a hood, egg-crate is one of a DIY reefer's best friends. Just my .02 but I recommend either a fuge or a skimmer or both, but i understand on a small tank they are not necessary, I just feel safer personally with the added filtration. Plus you will want to have something to skim the surface of your tank to get rid of the stinky oily surface scum.

Welcome! and good luck!

there is a wealth of information on NR I'm sure you'll be fine

EDIT: this stuff

24ae7ae3.jpg

68712b6a.jpg

+1 on the test kits. Good basic one is API.

I used to buy water from kiosk's and a couple LFS's till ...I checked the TDS and Phos levels of that water.

Algae blooms? Yep. Cyno? yep.

Long story short .... I make my own RO/DI now.

Egg Crate .... so many uses. GOOD CALL gjones!

Archived