Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Big clam question...

niko5

I'm about to downgrade and really want to keep my Derasa clam... IV had it about 10 years... its about 13" across... I'm planning to put it in a biobube 29... IV measured and it will fit... do you think I'll have a problem with it?

10 years wow!

derasas are a little more tolerant of lower lighting iirc (in regard to other clams) so if you put it right near the top it may be okay?

derasas are sand-dwellers though so then there's that :mellow:

also pics plz :)

I'll get some pics... lighting won't be a problem the biocube will be Rimless with 12" aqua illimunation light. Also will be dosing two pt solution for the clam.

lessergeneration

i had a 4-5" derasa at the bottom of my BC29 stock PC's for about 2 years before a accidental spearing with stainless steel tongs :(

I'm about to downgrade and really want to keep my Derasa clam... IV had it about 10 years... its about 13" across... I'm planning to put it in a biobube 29... IV measured and it will fit... do you think I'll have a problem with it?

If you've successfully kept the clam for 10 years, you know just as much about clams as anyone else here. I'd trust whatever your gut is telling you.

Im sure I can keep him alive and happy in a normal tank my worry is going from 100+ gallons to 25 or so gallons. I didnt know if there would be anything I couldn't provide it with such low water volume.

Im sure I can keep him alive and happy in a normal tank my worry is going from 100+ gallons to 25 or so gallons. I didnt know if there would be anything I couldn't provide it with such low water volume.

If youre supplementing phyto or anything, just be weary as that can foul water rather quickly in such a small system.

Got death written all over it

ignore.

I think youre fine. are you planning on using established LR? if you arent then I would consider dosing phyto

but otherwise

BEAUTIFUL clam! good job :happy:

haha you're talking with a guy with 4 clams in a 27g. Its such a bad Idea putting such a huge creature into such a small tank...do it but it will end poorly.

ignore.

I think youre fine. are you planning on using established LR? if you arent then I would consider dosing phyto

but otherwise

BEAUTIFUL clam! good job :happy:

Ill be using well established LR and also will have biopellets on the tank this guy has really responded well to the biopellets im running now.

haha you're talking with a guy with 4 clams in a 27g. Its such a bad Idea putting such a huge creature into such a small tank...do it but it will end poorly.

:bowsdown:

How about a reason why instead of just listing how awesome and knowledgable you are?

Ill be using well established LR and also will have biopellets on the tank this guy has really responded well to the biopellets im running now.

If you can physically fit it in, keep params stable (including Ca) I see no issue

Beautiful clam but, what is that red algae, my friend has it in his tank and ive been trying to figure out what it is forever....any ideas would be appreciated

Archived