Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chaeto craps out

oncorhynchus

I have chaeto in the middle chamber of an inTank media rack in my biocube. It grows like crazy for a month and then slowly kind of peters out. It also seems to accumulate a pinkish algae both tangled in it and on the outside of the media rack. I've also noticed that the chaeto itself breaks and tears very easily when this happens. Anyone else experienced anything like this or have any idea what might be going on. The coral in the display looks great and healthy and I have no algae problems up front.

Do you rotate the chaeto, so each side gets light periodically?

I do. Typcially twice a week. When I do I also scrape the pink algae off the outside of the media rack. I've also been rinsing out the chaeto (in the tank water I just pulled out) when a I do water changes and picking out the pink stuff. This doesn't seem to make much of a difference though.

could it be the chaeto isnt getting enough NO4/PO4?

That makes sense to me, it grow, depletes the water, dies, die off creates no3/po4, and the cycle starts over again.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I had the same issue happen to me in my fuge. It grew then it wilted away on the top. Some told me it was a lack of phosphate and nitrates to keep it flourishing.

It grows like crazy for a month and then slowly kind of peters out.

Are you removing some of the chaeto on a "monthly" basis? What I'm getting at is....

If your trimming it back so to speak, then it will rapidly grow until it's "food source" runs out then level off.

Sounds like ya have a good thing going as is.

If ya want a bigger ball-o-chaeto then feed your tank more so it'll produce more waste feeding your chaeto to grow bigger .... at the risk of higher nutrient levels in your tank.

That make any sense ....?

put chaeto before chemipure and purigen, that might help. I dont know though because mine is in a sump with 130watts of florescence and grows like a B****

put chaeto before chemipure and purigen, that might help. I dont know though because mine is in a sump with 130watts of florescence and grows like a B****

I didn't know #####es could grows!? :D

I didn't know #####es could grows!? :D

well there ya go, you learned something new today. I'll start my DIY B**** grow out thread once I take some pictures lol

I think the depletion of N of P makes sense. I do feed reasonably thouroughly. Probably best for the tank to just let the cycles go on. I'm gonna try growing chaeto in the frag tank too and can just use that when the ball in the biocube gets sickly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've run into this same problem ever since they discontinued the power pc bulbs I used for my fuge. Now I use a weaker T5 fixture and the pink coraline grows faster than the chaeto, eventually suffocating it.

Isn't the point of the chaeto to have low Nitrates and/or Phosphates?... Why would you feed more? Kind of goes against what the point of the refugium is other than a place for pods.

Isn't the point of the chaeto to have low Nitrates and/or Phosphates?... Why would you feed more? Kind of goes against what the point of the refugium is other than a place for pods.

Maybe he's just looking to have a chaeto tank :P

Archived