Cultivated Reef

Live Rock in sump, dry rock in display?

duoc9119

I have dry rock in the display tank and wondered if it would have a decent cycle if I put live rock in the sump section. Going to take out the skimmer since it takes out a lot of room in the sump, leaving me with more live rock room. Maybe get a Glazer skimmer down the road.

So separating live rock and dry rock? Yes? No?

I'm not sure why you want to keep them separate? If you put live rock anywhere in your system it's going to eventually make all your rock live...

For water quality it might be ok but I would suspect there would still be a mild cycle. Also it may take longer with the rock being in separate tanks, I would still seed the display with a piece of rubble in there with it.

Should I just set the live rock in the display tank, let it cycle, and then move it back to the sump? I'm just looking to get the tank cycled in a decent amount of time because the display is just dry rock from reefcleaners and not sure how well they cycle the tank on their own.

The live rock will take care of the biological filtration and seed the new dry rock. Either way the dry will become live through cycling. I'm just saying do as you said with the dry in the display but stick a single live rock with it in the display to seed it faster, then once your system stabilizes you can toss that rock back in the sump if you desire. If your just setting up this system expect a cycle regardless, if its a established system you most likely will experience a mini cycle. Just monitor your water parameters closely.

Archived