Top Shelf Aquatics

Unknown Goby/Blenny

bricespice

Hey everyone.

This is my first post on an aquarium forum, im used to amphibian forums, but I am sure they operate in the same manner.

I purchased some fiji live rock a few days ago from a reef store and when I got home and unloaded it into my tank (day 6 of cycling), I found 2 little guys swim out of the holes and perch on the rock.

Not sure if these are gobys or blennys, but I can't seem to locate them in my marine fish ID book.

post-71893-1326723921_thumb.jpg

His fins look like a goby's, but his stress marks and coloration remind me of a Bi-Color Blenny's.

You said this guy was a hitchhiker? :eek:

It looks, to me, like an EXTREMELY upset Midas blenny... for some reason they show stripes when they discolor from stress.

Or some other blenny, tough to say until it gets color back.

Thanks for your input, Mr. I've-never-seen-an-upset-midas-blenny.

:D No I've had plenty of stressed blenny's before. He's just too dark! :eek:

A better pic would help.. but they can dump their color pretty thoroughly. Either way, we won't be able to tell, really, until he colors back up.

A better pic would help.. but they can dump their color pretty thoroughly. Either way, we won't be able to tell, really, until he colors back up.

Exactly.

The 2 spot blenny looks exactally like my other one.

Yes, I had3 hitchhikers in my rock purchase.

2 of these unknown guys and 1 Panda Bear Goby.....

FUN TIMES! :lol:

The LR came from a store called Premier Aquatics in Tulsa, OK. LR is $6.99/pound, I only purchased 14 pounds from them and the rest from another cheaper store. However, I now truly believe "You get what you pay for."

The only problem I ran into was my tank is cycling, so picking up these hitch hikers was not an ideal situation, however, i quickly threw them into my established 16g innovative marine.

Thanks for your input, Mr. I've-never-seen-an-upset-midas-blenny.

It isn't a midas blenny, look at it. It doen't have the right shape and color to be one. To me it looks like a stressed two-spot blenny.

The only problem I ran into was my tank is cycling, so picking up these hitch hikers was not an ideal situation, however, i quickly threw them into my established 16g innovative marine.

Good job!

animalmaster6

:welcome: to N-R!!

post-71893-1326723921_thumb.jpg

Yeah it's definitely an Ecsenius blenny I could use a better pic to identify it completely.

The 2 spot blenny looks exactally like my other one.

Yes, I had3 hitchhikers in my rock purchase.

2 of these unknown guys and 1 Panda Bear Goby.....

FUN TIMES! :lol:

Jeepers that's insane! omgomgomg

:welcome: to N-R!!

Yeah it's definitely an Ecsenius blenny I could use a better pic to identify it completely.

Jeepers that's insane! omgomgomg

Thanks everyone. Definitely a 2 Spot now that the tank has been up for a week. They are doing great. Unfortunately they are camera shy and my lack of a good SLR camera reduces my ability to capture a good photo. As soon as I can I will get one though. All I've been able to get is head shots of him peaking out of holes.

Archived