Top Shelf Aquatics

Does scraping hair algae w/ wire brush hurt live rock?

duganderson

I have a new, used 28 gallon tank. I have a rock almost covered with hair algae and some hair algae on my other rocks. The hair algae is very hard to pull off and it will NOT scrape off with a toothbrush. I moved the tank about a week ago but It had been set up by the previous owner for a year or so.

Does it damage the rock or kill the live rock to scrape it with a wire brush? (out of the tank OR in the tank with a siphon hose nearby)

Also, can you rinse it clean with fresh tap water?

live rock/dry rock can and usually is pretty soft.. being aggressive on it with a wire brush may be a bit harder on the rock than you expect.. but no ill results will come about from this if your mindful that you may scrape some rock

live rock/dry rock can and usually is pretty soft.. being aggressive on it with a wire brush may be a bit harder on the rock than you expect.. but no ill results will come about from this if your mindful that you may scrape some rock

sarcasm? lol

scrape the #### outa that rock

sarcasm? lol

scrape the #### outa that rock

no im serious, you can start breaking it into chunks if it is a branchy rock, you can take things off.. trust me i've been there and done it myself

but yes scrape the #### out of it

I can't comment on using a wire brush, but I do use tweasers a bottle brush on hair algae and both work great. The other thing that I've used is a kitchen style cleaning brush which has much stiffer bristles than a tooth brush.

I had a 3 month battle with hair algae and the only way I was able to beat it was extreme control of nutrients going in the tank, running GFO in a media reactor and manual removal with the tools I mentioned above. I still have an occasional spot crop up which I get immediately with a brush.

no im serious, you can start breaking it into chunks if it is a branchy rock, you can take things off.. trust me i've been there and done it myself

but yes scrape the #### out of it

if it's all covered in algea, i guess he wants it all.

well don't be too rough if it's thin.

Hydrogen Peroxide.

you coud do that, but don't overdo it or you will kill off a lot of bacteria. or if you have coral on the rock, they may not like it.

the peroxide thread below this one shows how to kill it all without harming coral or bacteria. as in all of the hair algae will be dead by 12 am tonite, that fast...

peroxide treatment is the preferred method because scrubbing disperses frags around the tank for later regeneration. w peroxide, the whole plant dies.

H2O2 is the way to go. Check out my thread in the pests forum and you will see lots of evidence. It worked for me. Picking and scraping, on the other hand, did not.

Thanks for your addition to my thread about my hair alagae problem. I had a couple questions.

If I had 2 gallons of water change water, how much h202 would I want to add?

How long do you keep the rock in the H202 mixture?

Do you rinse the rock in anything before putting it back into the tank?

Thanks, Doug

Thanks for your addition to my thread about my hair alagae problem. I had a couple questions.

If I had 2 gallons of water change water, how much h202 would I want to add?

How long do you keep the rock in the H202 mixture?

Do you rinse the rock in anything before putting it back into the tank?

Thanks, Doug

Reply from Reef Miser....

I would add about a 1/2 cup or so for 2 gallons. Let the rock sit in there for 3-5 minutes, Then put it back in the tank. It will make a huge dent in your algae and you will see die-off for the next several days. If you have really bad algae spreading and coverage, you will probably need to repeat a couple of times to get it all. When the algae becomes spotty, and just have a few trouble spots, I have switched to dripping or spraying HP on the spot with the rock out of the tank, let it sit exposed to air for about 2-3 minutes, rinse in old water change water and put back in the tank. I feel that this reduces the impact to the tank as a whole.

Archived