inTank Media Baskets

Haven't really thought about the cycle

duoc9119

Well setting up my tank and just realized that I'm not quite sure if I have to start the cycle. I am using Reefcleaner base rocks and a bag of Caribbean live sand I got from Micro-Reefs.

I don't really want to get live rock because I am minimizing the chances of introducing pests in the tank, especially since its a 5 gallon tank. So wouldn't the once live sand kick start the cycle? Going to also get a cup of sand or something from the LFS to aid in the cycle.

I had dry rock as well, didn;t want to introduce pests.. So I bought 1LB LR from a guy who owns a fish store and put it in my QT tank for a week to inspect it.. I then preceded to break it up into smaller chunks to make sure nothing was hiding in it.. After this i put the rubble in my return chamber of my DIY AIO, and will remove the rubble once I finish my cycle. Also there is a chance you will get pests later on with coral, but you can prevent that too..

Well setting up my tank and just realized that I'm not quite sure if I have to start the cycle. I am using Reefcleaner base rocks and a bag of Caribbean live sand I got from Micro-Reefs.

I don't really want to get live rock because I am minimizing the chances of introducing pests in the tank, especially since its a 5 gallon tank. So wouldn't the once live sand kick start the cycle? Going to also get a cup of sand or something from the LFS to aid in the cycle.

I literally started out the same exact as you!! I bought dry rock from reefcleaners and started out with live sand as well. I wanted to help expedite the process so i cam home with two scoops of live sand and a couple pieces of live rock from my LFS. I decided that i wanted to help jumpstart the process and maybe speed things up a bit. The added sand and rock have been in for only two days and i am still ghost feeding the tank. I had the same concerns as you, but when it came down to it, i wanted to help the cycle out as much as i could without sacrificing any of the benefits of the beautiful dry rock from reefcleaners. I would reccomend adding two small pieces of live rock to either side of the tank.

Archived