Top Shelf Aquatics

Is it normal for clown fish to hide when pumps are on

Sashimi

When I have all my pumps on my clowns hide in a cave. It seems like there hiding from the current because as soon as I turn off all the pumps and power head they come out and swim around. I have the standard pump that comes with the 29 gallon biocube and a Aqueon circulation pump 500 GPH

Clowns have amazing personalities, I wouldn't say any of their behavior is "normal". Them doing odd things like this is not unheard of.

At one time my clown would just swim up and down in one corner, he didn't leave for months, even to eat. He would just grab the food that came his way. Then one day he was all over the place...

clowns are about the worst swimmers out there next to ponies and pipefish

And boxers! lol And +1 to there is nothing normal about a clown fishes behavior. Totally unpredictable and impossible to determine what is normal behavior at any given time.

my clown hosted a aneomne for the longest time, I add a coral beauty and they are best buds grazing the ground for anything together.. my clown is now picking at my rocks :-/

Clownfish are rightly named, their odd behavior and funny personalities , chances are yours is hiding from the current, my onyx perc has her hiding spot for when she is scared or whatever, it might help to find an anemone for it to host, what kind of clownfish is it?

my black and white hides next to the powerhead, inside the side of a rock in a little cave spot he picked out, underneath the clamp of my par30 bulb but also picks bugs off the rocks and goes where ever he pleases in the tank.. if hes a new arrival and is still getting used to his surroundings I'd give it some time, he'll adjust and come around.

Archived