Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ccapasso's office Mantis Tank!

ccapasso

OK... that seems like your heater just doesn't have the power to keep you tank warm enough. 25 watt heaters are not very powerful for a 5.5 gallon. I am running a 50 watt and have had no probs keeping my temp stable. Just think... a 50 watt is twice as powerful.

i believe most 50 watt and 25 watt heaters are the same size, so you shouldn't lose any room in the back

Cool. I have a 50w stealth heater at home I use for heating up my water change buckets. I'll bring it in tomorrow and see how it does. Weren't these recalled though ?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool. I have a 50w stealth heater at home I use for heating up my water change buckets. I'll bring it in tomorrow and see how it does. Weren't these recalled though ?

:o yep!

they weren't in the first recall but were added to the recall list at a later date. That sucks!

:o yep!

they weren't in the first recall but were added to the recall list at a later date. That sucks!

Wonder if I can take it to a local store (like petco or something) and see if they'll exchange it?

Wonder if I can take it to a local store (like petco or something) and see if they'll exchange it?

I believe petco was exchanging them... just tell them that you just found out that they were recalled and want to exchange it.they should do it for you no prob

i am using the 50 watt aquaon one that they sell and it has been rock solid for me

I believe petco was exchanging them... just tell them that you just found out that they were recalled and want to exchange it.they should do it for you no prob

i am using the 50 watt aquaon one that they sell and it has been rock solid for me

Stupid Petco by me isn't exchanging them! Just checked at lunch..

On a separate note:

No sign of diatoms yet but I did a water test today and here are the results:

Ammonia: 1.0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

PH: 7.8

Not sure how long this will take as I did use live and but am using dry rock...hmmmm

Stupid Petco by me isn't exchanging them! Just checked at lunch..

On a separate note:

No sign of diatoms yet but I did a water test today and here are the results:

Ammonia: 1.0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

PH: 7.8

Not sure how long this will take as I did use live and but am using dry rock...hmmmm

Stupid Petco! did they say why they wouldn't.

Not sure how long it will take. I waited over a month just to be safe and was ghost feeding the tank once a week

Stupid Petco! did they say why they wouldn't.

Not sure how long it will take. I waited over a month just to be safe and was ghost feeding the tank once a week

No! Petco just said call the manufacture! Fools! Oh well, I'll call the manufacture then.

What do you mean ghost feeding? I'm not familiar with that?

I have something called Microbe-Lift Special Blend that I got from someone on here. Should I use that to help speed the cycle up?

So I came home from work and figured I'd check my 55g heater and wouldn't you know it; It is a Stealth 200W!

So, I decided to call my local petsmart and see what they had to say since Petco wasn't helping. I spoke to the manager and he said go ahead and bring them in and he would trade them in for equal value.

I was expecting Aqueon heaters and to my surprise when I got there he held 2 Aqueon Pro for me. One 50W and one 200W!

So now I have 2 new heaters (one for my 55g and one for my pico) that I will be using :)

Looks great! That piece of RL is is awesome!

Glad to her about the score on the 2 new heaters. Are the helping with the low temp.

Is your 55 gallon a reef?

Thanks!

I just put the new 50W heater in my Pico this morning when I got to work. We'll see how it does overnight. The 200W I put in my 55g seems to be working fine, although the old one worked as well but I didn't feel safe keeping it in being it was recalled.

My 55g I purchased used as a complete setup (link in sig). It was originally a FOWLR. I have since started adding corals to it so I guess you could so it is a RIP (Reef in Progress) lol.

Thanks!

I just put the new 50W heater in my Pico this morning when I got to work. We'll see how it does overnight. The 200W I put in my 55g seems to be working fine, although the old one worked as well but I didn't feel safe keeping it in being it was recalled.

My 55g I purchased used as a complete setup (link in sig). It was originally a FOWLR. I have since started adding corals to it so I guess you could so it is a RIP (Reef in Progress) lol.

That's an awesome acan! feed him some mysis and it will grow like crazy!

I bought a 4 head frag in November with 3 different color acans on one plug and it has like 10baby heads now!

sorry i didn't see your sig... i have them turned off... what a tard i am because i have a sig of my own. when i read the forums the sigs were taking up so much space that i just turned them off.LOL

That's an awesome acan! feed him some mysis and it will grow like crazy!

I bought a 4 head frag in November with 3 different color acans on one plug and it has like 10baby heads now!

sorry i didn't see your sig... i have them turned off... what a tard i am because i have a sig of my own. when i read the forums the sigs were taking up so much space that i just turned them off.LOL

Lol...no worries on the sig. I guess a lot of people turn them off.

As for Mysis, I'll have to find out who sells it. I'm guess at Petsmart or something might. I would imagine I'd be best to just buy it frozen ? From what I've seen online, they are sold in blocks like brine shrimp right? I assume I'd be best to just cut a small piece off a frozen block, thaw it in tank water then feed?

Lol...no worries on the sig. I guess a lot of people turn them off.

As for Mysis, I'll have to find out who sells it. I'm guess at Petsmart or something might. I would imagine I'd be best to just buy it frozen ? From what I've seen online, they are sold in blocks like brine shrimp right? I assume I'd be best to just cut a small piece off a frozen block, thaw it in tank water then feed?

Look for PE mysis! its amazing!

http://www.mysis.com/

and gotta get some cyclops!

http://www.freezerbar.com/

I bought a little baby medicine measuring thing at the store for like 2 bucks for feeding them. I thaw the mysis in a little bit of tank water and suck it up into the tube. I turn off all the pumps and add just a little cyclopeeze to the tank. (another must have IMO) It makes the corals open up and once they open i squirt the mysis on the feeder tentacles. Give them about 20 min to eat and turn the pumps back on. I have seen amazing growth by doing this. not only with acans, but duncans, rics, palys and brain corals. Its fun to watch 2!

Look for PE mysis! its amazing!

http://www.mysis.com/

and gotta get some cyclops!

http://www.freezerbar.com/

I bought a little baby medicine measuring thing at the store for like 2 bucks for feeding them. I thaw the mysis in a little bit of tank water and suck it up into the tube. I turn off all the pumps and add just a little cyclopeeze to the tank. (another must have IMO) It makes the corals open up and once they open i squirt the mysis on the feeder tentacles. Give them about 20 min to eat and turn the pumps back on. I have seen amazing growth by doing this. not only with acans, but duncans, rics, palys and brain corals. Its fun to watch 2!

Very cool.

I picked up some Frozen Mysis from Pet Supplies Plus by me at lunch (probably while you were posting this since I just got back lol).

I have a syringe already from my daughter's medicine we gave her recently. I attached a bit of thin tubing to it to help keep my hands out of the tank. Sadly though, the tubing is bent and doesn't work too well lol.

I'll have to look for cyclops. I've never heard if it, but then again, I'm just getting into all this!

Very cool.

I picked up some Frozen Mysis from Pet Supplies Plus by me at lunch (probably while you were posting this since I just got back lol).

I have a syringe already from my daughter's medicine we gave her recently. I attached a bit of thin tubing to it to help keep my hands out of the tank. Sadly though, the tubing is bent and doesn't work too well lol.

I'll have to look for cyclops. I've never heard if it, but then again, I'm just getting into all this!

LOL!

Awesome! your fish will love it too!

So I decided to modify my feeding tool so that the tube wouldn't bend.

I took a piece of plastic from the package my new heaters came in, and cut it. I then glued the tube to the plastic while on the syringe. Here is the result:

feedingtool.png

I then decided to go ahead and feed my Acan to see how it like the Mysis Shrimp:

acaneating.png

It ate it all:

acaneating_done.png

I also decided to see what else like Mysis. Turns out, almost everything. Here is a list of other things that ate it and their response:

Brittle Starfish - Devoured it

Emerald Crab - Attacked the feeder just to get some

Skunk Cleaner - Loved it. Couldn't get enough. Took it right from the feeder

Fire Shrimp - Same as Skunk Cleaner

Frogspawn - Not sure. I gave it some, but couldn't tell if it ate it or not. I think so...

Zoas - Indifferent

Florida Ric - Ate it happily

Ric Yuma - Ate it happily

Sabae Anemone - Can't tell yet but seems to eat it

Fish - Fought over it. They normally get pellets so this was a treat for them.

All in all, turns out most of the 55g crew liked the Mysis. Noting was as cool though to watch as the Acan.

my acans nom nom nom mysis every 2 days. they are cool to watch. so is the duncan

Cool! You got yours from the aquatica right ? Going to try and pick up some more acan frags from them.

The only thing I've not seen it was my acanthastrea Echinata. I have no idea where the "mouth" is on this thing, lol.

Temp swing update:

I came in this morning and my RKL still read 76! Looks like the 50W heater may have fixed the issue. We'll see how it does over the weekend when no one is here.

Temp swing update:

I came in this morning and my RKL still read 76! Looks like the 50W heater may have fixed the issue. We'll see how it does over the weekend when no one is here.

Awesome! It should be fine from now on

What are your stocking plans?

Awesome! It should be fine from now on

What are your stocking plans?

As far as corals, I plan on stock Acans, Zoas, some SPS, Rics, and Ric Yuma.

As far as livestock - I'm not sure yet, lol. Choices so far (listed as options):

Option 1 - Mantis Shrimp

Option 2 - Clown Fish (Small)

Option 3 - Inverts Only (Fire Shrimp, Porcelain Anemone Crab, Sexy Shrimp ? )

Btw...thanks for the tip on the Mysis shrimp. As you can see from the previous page, it went over well.

As far as corals, I plan on stock Acans, Zoas, some SPS, Rics, and Ric Yuma.

As far as livestock - I'm not sure yet, lol. Choices so far (listed as options):

Option 1 - Mantis Shrimp

Option 2 - Clown Fish (Small)

Option 3 - Inverts Only (Fire Shrimp, Porcelain Anemone Crab, Sexy Shrimp ? )

Btw...thanks for the tip on the Mysis shrimp. As you can see from the previous page, it went over well.

Sounds like a plan! I am enjoying my mantis! I had thought about doing exactly your plan and am happy with my choice. I know I could have more life in the tank but having the mantis makes me stare at the tank more than 1 fish or a few shrimp would make me.

I just looked at the mysis post! Glad I could help! Wait til u get some cyclopeeze! It's crazy what that stuff can do!

Archived