Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ccapasso's office Mantis Tank!

ccapasso

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
phi delt reefer

return that sand man.... its going to be blowing all over the place and you're going to regret it unless you are going to have really slow flow. even when it gums up it still finds away of breaking up and ending up in the water column.

carib sea special grade sea floor is what you should use.

Thanks for the feedback on the sand.

I returned it at lunch and purchased live sand. Ended up getting Natures Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite.

Thanks for the feedback on the sand.

I returned it at lunch and purchased live sand. Ended up getting Natures Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite.

That's what I use and have no problems.

Water all filled up and pumps running. Small problem though (I think).

The water level seems too high so I took a small bit out. Doing so made the back section lower in total volume and the front section returned to the original level. It almost seems like it is pumping more out than it can take in. Does this make sense?

There is no gurgle noise or anything, but there is a slow trickle of water noise that is coming into the return section.

Any suggestions?

Here are some pictures:

IMAG0447.jpg

IMAG0448.jpg

IMAG0449.jpg

IMAG0450.jpg

IMAG0451.jpg

did you get that nano mag locally? if so where?

Nope...Got it from Big Al's. I needed some other things from there and I wanted to get the free shipping so I got the mag too.

i have an idea for the pumps, what if you got one of those duo jbj wave makers and put both return pumps on that so they would alternate on and off, that way they wont both be pushing water back at the same time and your back chamber could fill more.

i have an idea for the pumps, what if you got one of those duo jbj wave makers and put both return pumps on that so they would alternate on and off, that way they wont both be pushing water back at the same time and your back chamber could fill more.

i think they had talked about doing that before. would be a good idea though

I picked up sand at lunch today. I was going to purchase live sand, but this looked a lot nicer:

IMAG0441.jpg

Thoughts?

That stuff is the shizz! Sadly my LFS stopped carrying it because "nobody bought it" because "the live stuff is always better!" <_<

The one thing I thought of was that the pumps are probably set to default which is max flow. I should be able to turn them down. The problem of course though is that they are put in there very well and I already filled it with water, lol. I'd have to drain the water before adjusting the pumps.

As far as the wavemaker, it was discussed, but these pumps aren't rated for wavemakers (being turned on and off every x minutes).

That stuff is the shizz! Sadly my LFS stopped carrying it because "nobody bought it" because "the live stuff is always better!" <_<

funny enough the local petco has a ton of it. lol

So I have some dry rock from marcorocks.com that I got from a Weekly Cheeryscape special. It is key largo rock and looks fantastic!

My question is this: Is there anything I need to do with this rock before I put it in my Pico? Do I need to wash it or clean it in any way? If so, do I need to use RO/DI water to do the cleaning?

I will seed it with a piece of live rock from my 55g.

Ok...Thanks.

Side note: Does it look like I have too much sand in there? I ended up using the whole 10lb bag, lol. But the display area is approx 5.5gallons.

Going back to earlier in the thread regarding filter material. In my Fluval Spec, which doesn't have any specific media racks. I have chemi-pure elite in the botton area of the filter compartment with chaeto in the middle--lit from behind with a JBJ NanoGlo fuge light, 24/7. Then I just lightly pack some filter floss in the top so that it isn't smashing down the chaeto, but all of the water has to go through it. I change the filter floss every other day, or an hour after cleaning the tank after everything has settled.

Every other week, when you do a water change, I'd recommend cleaning out the entire filter compartment area, rinse your chaeto and whatever chemical filter media you have in there while you're at it. It probably wouldn't hurt to house some little snails back there as long as they can't get into the pumps. And speaking of stuff getting in your pumps. Chaeto will get stuck in your pumps if little bits break off (and they do). You might want a finer mesh on top of your top rack to keep the chaeto from getting sucked into the pumps.

I think it's best to have the floss at the top for easy replacement and to keep lots of detritus from building up in the chaeto. The floss gets pretty icky pretty fast.

Anyhow, just some thoughts to consider.

Going back to earlier in the thread regarding filter material. In my Fluval Spec, which doesn't have any specific media racks. I have chemi-pure elite in the botton area of the filter compartment with chaeto in the middle--lit from behind with a JBJ NanoGlo fuge light, 24/7. Then I just lightly pack some filter floss in the top so that it isn't smashing down the chaeto, but all of the water has to go through it. I change the filter floss every other day, or an hour after cleaning the tank after everything has settled.

Every other week, when you do a water change, I'd recommend cleaning out the entire filter compartment area, rinse your chaeto and whatever chemical filter media you have in there while you're at it. It probably wouldn't hurt to house some little snails back there as long as they can't get into the pumps. And speaking of stuff getting in your pumps. Chaeto will get stuck in your pumps if little bits break off (and they do). You might want a finer mesh on top of your top rack to keep the chaeto from getting sucked into the pumps.

I think it's best to have the floss at the top for easy replacement and to keep lots of detritus from building up in the chaeto. The floss gets pretty icky pretty fast.

Anyhow, just some thoughts to consider.

Thank you for the input. I like the idea of maybe adding some fine mesh to keep the cheato out. Would be nice to have snails, but I'm sure they can get into the pumps.

How much filter floss do you typically buy at a time and how much do you go through weekly?

Thank you for the input. I like the idea of maybe adding some fine mesh to keep the cheato out. Would be nice to have snails, but I'm sure they can get into the pumps.

How much filter floss do you typically buy at a time and how much do you go through weekly?

My back chamber is like 2" x 5", so I don't use a lot. Maybe a golf-ball sized wad or so.

Most people use polyester pillow stuffing that you buy at the fabric store. You can also buy aquarium specific filter floss. I don't think there is any difference. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Get a large bag of it, you'll use it all eventually. It never hurts to change it too often.

So I was doing some research and it turns out the ebay seller reef_pets is actually local to me!

He does combined shipping and allows for local pickup at a specific time and place each week.

Needless to say, I went ahead and placed some bids tonight :).

Here is what I won (these will all start in my 55g and move into the Pico once it is cycled)

coral.png

So I was doing some research and it turns out the ebay seller reef_pets is actually local to me!

He does combined shipping and allows for local pickup at a specific time and place each week.

Needless to say, I went ahead and placed some bids tonight :).

Here is what I won (these will all start in my 55g and move into the Pico once it is cycled)

[ig]http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo328/runningboy01/Pico/coral.png[/img]

friend made a large order from him too. all the coral was super amazing.

there is another place that is local to us as well.

http://www.tidalgardens.com/

couple of the local guys were gonna take a ride out there sometime if youre interested youre more then welcome to come as well

Archived