ReefCleaners.org

Coral that came with LR

hypostatic

I posted this in my tank thread, but I guess this would be the more appropriate place to ask about it -- a mystery hitchhiker coral came along with one of the pieces of live rock that I added to my tank. Any idea what this guy is? It seems to move around a lot during the day, here are some pics (you can see that it doesn't stay put in one place:

post-71065-1326675864_thumb.jpg

post-71065-1326675878_thumb.jpg

post-71065-1326675892_thumb.jpg

Yepp, it's a majano. Looks exactly like these guys:

majano.jpg

Thx for the ident help!

There's only one, so I'll attempt to just pull it off with tweezers...

I, and many others, like mojano. Nothing wrong with removing it if you just dont want it there. Nothing wrong with keeping it either. If you keep it, it will split. You will have to kill off or remove ones you don't want. This really isn't a big deal.

A lot of people remove this because someone else says they should. While that is good advise for aiptasia, Mojano can be more a preference of the individual. Mojano can easily be more attractive than any coral many people will ever have.

Mojano is a lot like pulsing xenia in growth. It can multiply and take over a tank if you let it. What makes it a pest is that Anemones can be a pain to remove from rock and it can split in two and one of them just go walking half way around the tank. They can cover ground faster than coral.

If you just keep 1 or 2 mojano and kill off any that split off, you wont have an issue. If you keep more than one, don't keep any that walk away from the group.

As far as their sting goes... OHH NOOoo!! Anemones can sting? :scarry: I have them scattered in my pulsing xenia and they don't even touch them. I have had much more aggressive corals in my tank.

As far as their sting goes... OHH NOOoo!! Anemones can sting? :scarry: I have them scattered in my pulsing xenia and they don't even touch them. I have had much more aggressive corals in my tank.

Hmmm yeah, one reason why I was confused about its identity was because it really looked like an anemone, so I decided to investigate in the most scientific manner possible (I poked it with my finger), and it didn't sting -- it just like retracted and closed up. So yeah, I think the stinging thing with these guys has been overexagerated

Archived