Coral Vue Hydros

Painting with an open top

patback

Painting won't be getting done in my bedroom where the open top ten gallon is, but it will e in every other room in the house. Should anything be done? Basically will fumes from the paint be absorbed into the water?

Cover the tank tight while painting. And let it sit for 4 hours after to let the spray an fumes settle. Should be fine. Water won't aborsb the fumes. Just the paint splatter

I would also keep the room with the tank well ventilated if ya can--iono where you live but if you can open a window without the room getting too cold it might be a good idea

Be sure to turn off the skimmer, and if possible build a plastic tent around the tank that's positively pressured with an air pump that is drawing in outside air. GAC is a good idea too.

Be sure to turn off the skimmer, and if possible build a plastic tent around the tank that's positively pressured with an air pump that is drawing in outside air. GAC is a good idea too.

why turn off the skimmer out of curiosity?

injecting 'dirty' air into the tank?

why turn off the skimmer out of curiosity?

injecting 'dirty' air into the tank?

Yes. The idea is that you prevent the water from being exposed to air in the room. By tenting the tank (takes some painter's tape and garbage bags) and injecting outside air to create positive pressure, you are essentially removing the tank from the room.

I've done this a bunch of times when we do fiberglass work near reef tanks and amphibian enclosures.

Wow. Thank you everybody for your input. It's freezing outside so I can't open windows, but I guess tenting it and maybe a towel under the door would do the job. I will defiantly run carbon for that day or two. Thanks everyone.

Archived