Top Shelf Aquatics

Ballz' 2.5G Dwarf Puffer Tank

iball1804

Equipment List:

• 2.5G Tank
  • 50w Stealth Heater
  • Hawkeye Pump (temporary, waiting for filter)
  • .5" Sand Bed
  • WTB: Palm Azoo Filter
  • WTB: DIY CFL hood/fixture

Aaaand that's it for now. Plants to come!

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6705392629_b8b6cf9252.jpg

B) I'm happy to own the most ghetto light system ever. It's just a compilation of random parts I had around the house. I made the reflector out of cardboard and aluminum foil. (27w 6500K bulb)

Yeah, I've got ballz.

I'm going to let this little tank sit for a week or two (all the plants and substrate were cycled) until I add anything. I'll start with the plants! Yay! omgomgomg

Another option is flourite. My plants root very easily in it and it's mineral rich but inert so it wont affect the water column. It also release micro nutrients that the plants can access through their roots.

My low tech tank includes anubias nana, anubuias golden, windlov java fern, christmas moss and java fern. All under 1.8 watts per gallon.

But if sand works for you there is no reason to change unless you like the look of flourite.

I really need to use a smaller bulb :unsure: I'll get a 13w tomorrow.

I'm against CO2 simply because I can. I want a stress free tank that is still pretty. I will does Excel (thanks Squared!). For right now, I'll stick with the sand I am currently using. F things start going downhill, then I'll switch to Flourite!

Stay posted everyone! :ninja:

push some of those fertilizer tabs in the sand...not sure on how well they work though. i used sand once on a planted tank, did NOT go well. turned black and smelled really really bad. don't know why.

well actually im not sure my plants rooted in the sand...maybe that's why is stunk?

devilsadvocate
i have a bunch(30lbs) of plant substrate, you can have like 5 pounds for cost of shipping.

do you my flourite substrate?

The fert tabs work AMAZINGLY. It brought plants back from the grave for me. If you look at my tank from underneath you can see all the roots shooting straight to the tabs.

Be careful with excel on a really small tank like that. If you dose too heavily it will kill off your bacteria and restart your cycle. The active ingredient in it is actually also sold as an antiseptic, you can buy it under the name Metricide 14 if you want and is cheaper and stronger concentration for people with big tanks.

Archived