ReefCleaners.org

The Adventures of a SeaTard

Tweaked29

Saltwater noob.

Have been doing freshwater tanks all my life, and came across this site in

October after wanting to see what else the biocube can do. Lets just say I was

hooked and this site rocks! I began researching for the next two months and

purchased everything below and setup the tank right before Christmas with a bag

and a half of live sand, 15 pounds of life rock, and 15 pounds of base rock. Salt is Red Sea Coral Pro.

Below is where I am currently.

Biocube 29 with stand

In tank:

MP 10 Vortec ES

Korallia nano 450

Hydor water deflector

Chamber one empty

Removed tab, Stevie T's In Tank water director & stay hold

Chamber two Stevie T's In Tank media rack running floss, purigen, chemi pure elite

Chamber two Stevie T's In Tank fuge running chaeto on under water 10w light

Chamber three eshopps nano overflow, and powerhead on same timer as light in fuge

In cabinet:

Eshopps RS75 sump

200 micron filter sock

UVlight to DIY nitrate sponge in soda bottle

Aqueon Pro Heater, 150-Watt

Tunze 9002 skimmer w/ airline mod

JNS Alpha 1 bio pellet media reactor

Filter sponge between chambers

Mag Drive 3 for return to stock nozzle

Tunze osmolator sensors and fill tube

Lighting

Current USA Nova Extreme Pro

Modded light and added Current USA blue LEDs 3 all acinic strips, two 50/50 strips

Coralife Aqualight Power Center Timer

Misc:

MP10 Back up battery setup

Tunze osmolator in custom storage box

Coralife RO/DI

Wireless remote emergency shutoff (shuts off everything but lights and MP10)

Float that will shut all of the sump down if water gets too low.

Gfi outlet

5500 watt generac generator ( live in CT and we lost power for a total of two

weeks with Irene and huge Halloween snow storm all in a month span. Was running

fresh water tank then, but I am not taking chances now.

Ps. My wife calls us SeaTards. I can't help but laugh every time I hear it. And

let's be honest, I get excited over a trip to the fish store and stare at my

tank like its a tv.

post-71867-1326642499_thumb.jpg

post-71867-1326643229_thumb.jpg

post-71867-1326643208_thumb.jpg

more photos

post-71867-1326643451_thumb.jpg

post-71867-1326643432_thumb.jpg

post-71867-1326643419_thumb.jpg

and more.

post-71867-1326643537_thumb.jpg

post-71867-1326643518_thumb.jpg

Ps a few of the rocks are yet to be pulled out of the display and moved to sump. Just waiting for everything to be right on the base rock. I will post pics of scape once this is done as I have some cool arch ways not seen in pics. Also, I hope the jawfish takes to his under water PVC system that I built, and I can finish scraping the center lagoon area.

Tweaked

that is a damn fine setup! very nice

Thanks. I am definately hooked.

Gonna get my params stable and get a few more frags. Also a six line and my fish will be complete.

Tweaked..welcome to the site, and thanks for your excellent initial post-very impressive tank and surely destined for success. Thanks too for defining what many of us secretly are but didn't know what to call it. My LFS is open on Sundays, think I'll go when I finish staring at my tank.

Fellow Seatard.

ATO setup hidden in footstool/table. 6 gallon tub holding RO/DI water

post-71867-1326646189_thumb.jpg

post-71867-1326646293_thumb.jpg

Tweaked..welcome to the site, and thanks for your excellent initial post-very impressive tank and surely destined for success. Thanks too for defining what many of us secretly are but didn't know what to call it. My LFS is open on Sundays, think I'll go when I finish staring at my tank.

Fellow Seatard.

Lmao. Just showed this to my wife. We love it. Thanks for the laugh.

great looking tank im building a bc29 too was going to order the kessil a150 15k sky blue light at first but seeing yours not so sure any thoughts or input?

great looking tank im building a bc29 too was going to order the kessil a150 15k sky blue light at first but seeing yours not so sure any thoughts or input?

I am new to this so I am no expert, but for my needs the light is intense. The frags already look twice as good as they did from the lfs who had them on LEDs.

8:00am two actinics come on

9:30am one actinic 3 10ks come on

6:00pm one actinic 3 10ks go off

7:30pm two actinics go off

7:30pm to 8:00am 4 3watt LEDs for moon light go on

7:30pm to 8:00am 10w underwater fugue light goes on

Fans are pretty quiet, and the heat, well there is none really. I am thinking of replacing one of the actinics with a 420 actinic for a more complete spectrum.

Tweaked

Wow, fantastic!

Looks like a lot of time and study went into the selection and assembly of equipment. Very well thought out and executed.

Wow, fantastic!

Looks like a lot of time and study went into the selection and assembly of equipment. Very well thought out and executed.

Thanks. Yes I love to read and spent so much time on this site lurking in the background until today. Spent so much time my wife kept calling me a seatard lol.

Tweaked

Params today 1/16/12

Kh 8.0 = 11.2 dKH 4.0 Meq/l

Mg 7.0 = 1400

Ca 8.8 = 440

Just added "B" part of the Red Sea program to try and slowly raise the alcalinity. Should be able to start the ABC+ all in one dosing once I get that up and then just adjust weekly.

Tweaked

Params today 1/16/12

Kh 8.0 = 11.2 dKH 4.0 Meq/l

Mg 7.0 = 1400

Ca 8.8 = 440

Just added "B" part of the Red Sea program to try and slowly raise the alcalinity. Should be able to start the ABC+ all in one dosing once I get that up and then just adjust weekly.

Tweaked

Many experts say not to go get all pinchy faced chasing after a specific alkalinity, as long as it's not WAY low. 8.0 will do just fine, the key is CONSISTENCY at a number that keeps PH at an acceptable and stable number.

But then, maybe SeaTards can't help themselves. OK, go ahead and raise it a little.

Many experts say not to go get all pinchy faced chasing after a specific alkalinity, as long as it's not WAY low. 8.0 will do just fine, the key is CONSISTENCY at a number that keeps PH at an acceptable and stable number.

But then, maybe SeaTards can't help themselves. OK, go ahead and raise it a little.

I raised it a bit and put in much less than I should. I'm with you and hate dumping in chems, but the testing and processes excite me. Again it's my first so I know I'm overdoing it, but can't help it. I moved my fresh water inhabitants and plants to a 55, and just set up a 10 gallon FOLR tank. Cycling right now. Also just ordered a innovative clamp on LED light for it. Sits in my bar room and reviews on the light seemed descent. I'll see if I can get pics up soon. Working on making it rimless.

Tweaked

Don't feel bad my girl wonders why i'd rather watch my tank then my 60"inch tv too...

lol same here, plus i don't even have cable anyway, so my snails are more entertaining. lol

btw, sharp aquos 60"?

post-71867-1327263903_thumb.jpgThe BSJ looks so much better. At first it looked like his skin was peeling a bit all over his body- probably from stress. So active now swimming around investigating surroundings and built a large home. Funny thing is he/she seems to be worried with where and what the clown is doing at all times. The clown usually sits by the Jawfish den and neither are bothered by it. Yesterday the clown was on the opposite side of the tank, so the jawfish left the safety of the home just to be near the clown. Did that for hours all day yesterday. Both are back near the home this morning.

I did have plans for a six line, and maybe one more fish at most, but thes two seem so happy I would hate to break up the fun. Only other think in the tank is a Corliss banded, but the jawfish blows water at him with his jaw, or pulls on his whiskers when he gets too close. Fascinating fish to say the least.

Tweaked

Side shot of zoas. There are too many variations of colors to list. I do however have a nice blue zoa frag, They are just so small still, but saw the mother they were fragging them from and she was beautiful.

post-71867-1327265389_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Addittions

Branching Frogspawn

Green/Purple Blastomussen

Green Acan

Green/White Trumpet

Purple Tree

Purple/Green Heliofungia

Yasha Goby

Red/White Banded Pistol Shrimp

BSJ died of course. Never again

Also I mast came back from LFS to find all of the glass covered in Copepods. Is this ok? Thanks

Pics comin. Tweaked

• 1 month later...

Archived