inTank Media Baskets

10g Reef

I am wondering what type of clam to put in my new tank. It is a 30 gallon that has a 20 long sump with skimmer and phosban reactor. I am planning on having a mixed reef with lots of sps. Once calcium starts to get low as I add corals, I plan to eventually dose a 2-part (probably B-ionic). I have a 4-bulb 4x39 watt t5 as lighting. I am wondering if this would be enough for a clam? The tank is 18" deep I believe, and it would be on the bottom- depending on the type of clam, either directly in the sand or on a rock in the sand. I was originally planning on a derasa, but I know they grow very fast. Would a maxima do okay in my tank? I am really only worried about the lighting. Would 18-20" below a 4 bulb t5 be too far?

maxima or derasa or squamosa. the bigger clams will outgrow your tank in more than 5 years, so i think you'll still get a lot out of keeping one until you have to sell it.

I know Derasa and Squamosa will work, but I am specifically looking at maxima's. With 4x39 watt bulbs 18" from the sand bed over a 36" long tank would it work? 2 would be 12k ATI bulbs and 2 would be BluePlus ATI bulbs (actinic). Has anyone kept a maxima in the sand under a 4xt5 fixture?

Archived