Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fish looks like it's gonna EXPLODE..

yoshii

I've never seen anything like this...

6698803107_76395b129a.jpg

6698804681_9d5a469d14.jpg

This sailfin tang was fine on Tues. All other fish are fine

In fact right now he's still acting like nothing is wrong, breathing is fine, he's swimming around, upright, etc.

Could a colony of internal worms to severe pop up overnight? He's been healthy and active for months, then this. Is it possible there's a blockage in his GI tract or something? So weird. The poor thing must have broken ribs

Could his ribs be broken?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus
Apologize for a stupid question, could that be an impacted female?

I suppose it's possible, but this tang is still fairly small (4 inches) so I would assume it's too young to start producing eggs. Could be though...

my thoughts as well...here is my female mandarin...she makes that fish look slim...

I got her a male and after 3 to 4 months with the male there is still no result and she is growing bigger...what is wierd is that she seem very healthy despite her condition. She eats like a little pig and act as if nothing was wrong:

I saw her try to mate with the male but nothing came out, no eggs were released.

Apologize for a stupid question, could that be an impacted female?

I know roundworms cause that in puppies really fast....

I would treat with a dewormer as well JIC, they can come up pretty fast if they are given the correct nutrients.

Hope it comes around for you.

I've seem this on a freshwater fish and I think it turned out to be a bacterial infection.

If it's an infection it should be treated by the meds

Wild guess but check your salinity, it may be too high

I checked, the salinity was fine, and I actually lowered the salinity in the hospital tank it's in right now, IME with this medication, fish stress less with a little lower salinity (not hypo)

MelaFix as an all around calmer and healer. Prazi for the bacteria and metro for the parasites.

Between all three, one ought to work.

just a guess, but you say she is swimming around fine, does she seem to be trying hard to stay down?

perhaps a swim bladder infection?

my thoughts as well...here is my female mandarin...she makes that fish look slim...

I got her a male and after 3 to 4 months with the male there is still no result and she is growing bigger...what is wierd is that she seem very healthy despite her condition. She eats like a little pig and act as if nothing was wrong:

I saw her try to mate with the male but nothing came out, no eggs were released.

DAMN! that is one fat mandarin! :blink: :blink:

MelaFix as an all around calmer and healer. Prazi for the bacteria and metro for the parasites.

Between all three, one ought to work.

It's already in meds, but just wondering, can you just combine those meds like that?

just a guess, but you say she is swimming around fine, does she seem to be trying hard to stay down?

perhaps a swim bladder infection?

No, not a swim bladder issue, it's swimming around like nothing's wrong, like it would any other day

Should be fine as they usually recommend using Metro with Prazi as they treat two common issues at once, the other I am not sure....

I also believe Metro is the Antibacterial and Prazi is the dewormer....my bottle says treats intestinal parasites and gill flukes , and that's what we use for Tapeworms in dogs and cats.

Archived