Coral Vue Hydros

Asting's 5.5 DIY AIO

asting

That's a nice auto top off you built.. Did you follow any builds on here? I would like to know a little more on how u did it. Looks clean and simple. Tank looks awesome. Can't wait to see it when the cor you just got settle in and are all open. Nice job.

Nice looking setup. Bummer about the frag coming with Bryopsis. Hope you get it all cleaned up.

Thank you very much. I've got no room on my sand bed, so hopefully it all moves onto the rocks well and fills out decently. I think I'll pull the frag plug from the duncan and give it a place on the rock. Hopefully my super glue gel works out, it seemed like it was a tad runny yesterday when i reattached the frags. I'll probably be slicing everything off the frag plugs, because they're too big for a setup this size.

nice tank i like what you did with your return

Thank you very much. I think the lengths of locline are a tad overkill for a tank this size, but it makes for a highly customizable return flow. I played with the pattern a bit yesterday.

That's a nice auto top off you built.. Did you follow any builds on here? I would like to know a little more on how u did it. Looks clean and simple. Tank looks awesome. Can't wait to see it when the cor you just got settle in and are all open. Nice job.

Thank you very much. The ATO switch i got from www.autotopoff.com I'll definitely be getting another with my next build. The Reservoir was a lock&load food container off of amazon. It lasts like 3 weeks with an open top, so it's perfect. The salinity is rock steady. The pump is a cheap fountain pump off of ebay and ran me about $10. It was this one, but I'm sure you can find a cheaper price if you hunt around.

The build itself was easy. I started with a larger hole to accommodate the pump cord and the tubing, but then had to widen it so the prongs could of the plug could be passed through. The last, and most important step, is to cut a hole in your tubing above your tank, so that the siphon is broken and you don't get a reverse siphon into your ato.

I was confused because I could hear my overflow last night, which is odd because I keep the level of the overflow like half an inch below the display to reduce the noise. Of course I forgot to plug it in.

Thank you though, I can't wait either. I'm really considering my spectrum, and going to a more blue hue when i replace the bulbs, but that's a ways off.

That one you asked about that isn't opening looks like Sympodium. Tank looks good. You moved pretty quick!

Thank you very much. I'll try moving it to a low flow area tomorrow if it still isn't opening. It's in a slightly higher flow area now (near the sps of course it's high flow). Yeah, I know i moved a tad fast, but I do weekly water changes of about 20%. It's easier to just do a gallon than to try and mix such a small volume. Might as well do a larger w/c. I want to pick up some reefcleaners filter food for this coral, but it's hard to justify the shipping when it costs 2x what the food does. I wish I had included it with my snails.

When I looked this morning everything seemed to be a bit happier, and the acans looked to be opened up, from what I can tell. I've never had acans before.

I'll be doing another w/c this weekend, and probably picking up my tiny red banded/shrimp pair. I'm excited, but I think everyone else I've shown my tank cares more about the fish than I do. I'm happy with coral in there.

Well time for a quick update.

I got a hi fin red banded goby and a candy cane pistole shrimp this past weekend. After drip and temp acclimating they both hid in the holes in the top of my rock. Eventually the goby left and went to the sand, but the shrimp stayed in the rock. Fast forward a day or two and the goby isn't coming out. My first thought was he jumped, but I bought eggcrate and have had the tank covered all but maybe 3 hrs total (during feeding) when i was right there with my hand near the aquarium.

I'm hoping he's just hiding and will be back out in the open soon. I know these buggers can stay underground for a week or two and be fine. Also, it's possible he just comes out when I'm not around and is just timid when I'm in the room.

Updates on the coral: First, all but one zoanthid frag is doing great The one that's not doing so hot only had 2 poylps to begin with, and was one of the ones that had fallen off the plug and was squished during the shipment. I'm hoping it'll recover. I moved all of the zoas onto the rock in various locations, and hopefully it will spread and cover soon. The acans are doing very well too, and i can see their extension during feeding. They also puff out a bunch.

The duncan is also a monster. I moved it onto the rock about a week ago, give or take, and it's continuing to grow. I'd say it's double what it started as in size, and it has 2 decently sized new heads. The largest head is probably 1-1.5" in diameter. I hope it doesn't go too fast and take over my live rock.

The only thing I'm not sure is doing well are the favias. They seem to be okay, and are coloring up, but I don't see extension at night or during feeding. I'm new to favias though, so who knows.

Now that I have a little bit of sandbed room I'm considering some blastos as my next purchase, but I'd like to let everything grow in first.

I also noticed what I believe to be a small brittle starfish during feeding. I saw a few legs sticking out of the rock, but that's it.

Moar Photos!

aquarium01-3.jpg

aquarium02-4.jpg

aquarium03-3.jpg

aquarium04-2.jpg

aquarium05-2.jpg

aquarium06-2.jpg

aquarium07-2.jpg

aquarium08-2.jpg

Also, so some bad news. The red banded hi fin goby i added went into the rock right away, and I fed him a few times. He came out and was pretty good, looking happy. I haven't seen him in like 3-4 days, and the pistol shrimp moved in to where he was. He bulldozed the main entrance, but I'm holding out. I know these fish can be real reclusive, but I'm not holding my breath. I did get a slight algae bloom, and I don't know if it's from a rotting fish, or because i fed a ted excessively.

Nice build so far. I wish I was as handy and crafty as you to build a cute little AIO :) I like it.

Hope your little goby comes out soon! I get so nervous when I can't find my fish. Maybe he's just taking a few weeks to get comfy in his new digs!

Nice build so far. I wish I was as handy and crafty as you to build a cute little AIO :) I like it.

Hope your little goby comes out soon! I get so nervous when I can't find my fish. Maybe he's just taking a few weeks to get comfy in his new digs!

Thanks, I hope so too, although when I looked this morning the shrimp had built a mound in the goby's favorite hole, so it's looking worse. Maybe I have some kind of sick deranged murderer shrimp that gets joy from burying it's victims alive!

I just took out all the rock, cheato, and equipment from my back chamber. No fish. damn.

• 2 weeks later...
AOG palys look nice I ordered some too

LOL @ hilms sig

Thanks,

they're growing pretty well and have an 11% growth in a few weeks. so that's good. IF that's sustainable it equates to like 10x in one year.

I did have the orange zoanthids melt. They were opening up completely and happy one day, and now they're all closed and only one or two poylps opened. After a few days of this I decided maybe they weren't getting enough flow or light, so I tried moving them. They've yet to reopen.

Here are a few updated shots from my camera. My macro lens and body are all packed up.

The duncan is getting huge (shrunk in this picture) and has 11 full size heads now. It doesn't seem to be a branching one though, but that might be due to flow.

20120308_230555.jpg

20120308_223914.jpg

Check out the growth on this guy. When i got him the sides were all white because it was a recent cut. He's since regrown parts of the heads on the side.

20120308_230942.jpg

Also, the sympodium pulled through but hasn't really done much. I'm not going to attach it to my LR though because I dont want it to grow like xenia.

I'm out of town for a week, so we'll see what happens when the tank isn't fed. I did get a tiny bloom of algae at the top, but the CuC took care of it.

Wow it's getting colourful!

How did you find your Mr Coral order? I'm debating ordering through him, just wanted to hear some opinions. Can't wait to see everything grow more!

Keep the pics coming :)

Thanks Paigee.

Honestly I'm a little torn with Mr.coral.

On one hand I got a lot of variety for relatively little, but on the other hand it was not as advertised and not wysiwyg. More like they chose pieces the day they shipped. I did not get what I ordered and have lost a few of them.

I'm honestly probably going to get some variety for my next tank from a member here. Tiny giant has a bunch of frags and will be shipping soon. he could probably put together a very competitive package.

timothymarsh

Cool tank, I had planned on doing this with my tank but I got scared and just went with HOB filters. I really like the AIO look though. Great job

Cool tank, I had planned on doing this with my tank but I got scared and just went with HOB filters. I really like the AIO look though. Great job

Thank you very much! I have to admit I've looked at some of the HOB filter styles and been jealous of the room, but this was meant to be a small tank. It's that, and very self contained (besides the ATO reservoir).

you need some coraline algae. that would make that tank look so freaking good. i just started a 2.5 pico that i'm bringing to college i can't wait to stock it. (:

Yeah, the only seed Coraline had was on a frag plug that caused the bryopsis, which i removed. Maybe I can get some Coraline covered LR.

looks like you have a nice variety going on B)

Thanks, I'm pretty pleased. I wanted to leave room for everything to grow in. I hopefully can expand this collection with another tank, and move some of this stuff over. Something I definitely want is some frogspawn, hammer, and or torch corals. There's no room in this tank, but it's on the to get list for my 30.

Also, I don't know if i mentioned, but i have an eggcrate top now which has stopped the escaping snails and was installed when i got the fish. I'm calling him a goner, and will probably try again in another two weeks or so. I'm probably also going to pick up a peppermint shrimp, as I think they're interesting, have had good luck with them, and have some aiptasia that mr.coral was kind enough to include in my order. It's in a zoa frag, and only comes out at night. during the day the zoanthids cover it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got back late last night, and caught the end of the light cycle (becuase it wasn't adjusted for Daylight savings). The Bryopsis is spreading, pretty badly. Damn this LFS. I called about a month ago to tell them they gave me bryopsis and they may want to take care of it. Their response was "oh we know." Not, "sorry for screwing up your tank", or "we should not be selling things with this problem". Just "we know, good luck."

I'll be getting some kent tech m if it gets worse.

Other than that, my cheato has deteriorated. I guess a week without turning was too much, but there's a bit left so hopefully it'll regrow (it was doing very well). I also lost the second SPS frag. I'm surprised it lasted this long. it looked very poor when i received it and i lost the first due to rtn within a few days of getting it.

The pagoda cup coral is also acting strange. It's grown over the cut spots, but not extending like it did before. I'll do a w/c soon. I just switched the carbon out.

The zoas are getting new polyps and showing good growth. The duncan looks great, and most of the acans look fine.

I'll be getting a new salt box soon and new filters for my rodi, so hopefully that'll help.

I just placed an order for new salt (200g box of reef crystals) as the old stuff seemed a bit off (took too much to reach the right sg), coral dip, and some kent tech m to deal with the growing bryopsis threat. I am also getting a new set of RODI filters and resin. Hoefully I'll be picking up a skimmer from a fellow reefer for my 30g build too.

New Salt:

20120323_152300.jpg

I'll be getting my filters, coral dip, and kent tech m next week probably.

Other goodies:

20120324_171958.jpg

I dipped an acan earlier, so here's to hoping it recovers.

Pardon the crappy macros, but my tripod doesnt fit well around this aquarium, so I had to shoot pretty open with high iso.

aquarium06-3.jpg

aquarium05-3.jpg

aquarium04-3.jpg

That favia is starting to grow a bit, so that's good. The other one is not looking good at all though.

aquarium03-4.jpg

aquarium02-5.jpg

aquarium01-4.jpg

Some of the acans are really looking great and showing some growth.

• 6 months later...

Archived