Cultivated Reef

question about return

grinder143

Probably not the place to ask but i will. I recently upgraded my nano 40 Breeder to a little cube 40w x36d x21 t 130 gallon acrylic tank. last saturday a wok up to a royal gramma , sailfin,yellow tang and a orange striped cardnel dead. I had been haveing a bit of trouble with algea or bacterial outbreak. Decided to dose hydrogen peroxide 10 ml per day . i was supposed to do it for 10 days but after 5 quit. The fish were swimming at the top of the tank almost gasping for air. I started running carbon did some water changes. It was shortly after that i relized the reeflo blowhole pump i have running on medium was not returning the water to the display tank . It has a T that feeds the skimmer and the other goes to the chiller . the skimmer was doing very little because it was only skimming the sump. so i put it on high and i started to get water through the overflow back in to the sump it was just noisy. The other circulation in the tank is (2) hydor evo 1050 and (2) 1400 evo pumps. I am wondering about the non exsistant return if that would have caused a lake of oxygenation and stressed the fish. I still have a fairy wrass that does not seem to have issue. racking my head up against the wall. Tank had been setup since thanksgiving. All parameters are in spec.

Hmmm I don't think that you lack of return would have been the case. especially since you still had a good amount of movement in the display. Sounds to me like you overdosed your tank.

dosing h202 is only going to temporarily fix the problem, you need to remove the source of nutrient import to eliminate future blooms/outbreaks

i am pretty sure i know what caused it . i used around a 100 lbs of sand from another tank. it was in a barrel witha pump running salt water around. i for what ever reason i did not rinse it . i had a brain fart.

i am pretty sure i know what caused it . i used around a 100 lbs of sand from another tank. it was in a barrel witha pump running salt water around. i for what ever reason i did not rinse it . i had a brain fart.

not sure I understand how that would cause a problem unless it was full of waste or contaminated. Being in a barrel with circulating water would be a good thing if someone was keeping their sand "live"

its more than likely the peroxide compounded by lack of oxygenation. But who knows. I would never pour peroxide in my water, but that's just me.

I think looking back total volume is 150 gallons with out rock or sand. Has 80 lb of rock and about 100 of sand in the display . So you are probably right. However sand in a barrel will have anoxic zones

Archived