Innovative Marine Aquariums

Do i need to add both clownfish at the same time if i want to have 2?

funkehouse

I know for sure i want a Black & White clownfish, but i also enjoy regular clownfish as well, i am thinking maybe getting both. Do i have to buy them both at the same time? do they have to purchased as a pair together? Or if i have a have a B&W for a while and decide i want another is it okay to add one? any tips and guidance will be appreciated, i want to do the right thing for the fish of course and dont want to cause added stress for them. Thank you !

I added a black and white clown to my 30 gal with an already established percula... They paired up with no problems.

this will not always be the case - to the OP the sooner you get the second clown the better to have them pair up, I have debated trying to get another maroon.. But my maroon is 2 years old and its not worth the risk to find out

If you don't buy them together, buy your second from a tank with a group of clowns in it. That will allow you to pick the smallest from the group which is most likely the male. You should assume that a lone clown is a female for safety's sake. I lost the female from a clarkii pair and replaced her with another fish a few weeks later. I did exactly what I described above and they're happily paired up with no issues. It may not always work out, so be prepared to remove the new addition if you have trouble.

BUT, if at all possible, add both at the same time to avoid issues. Just make sure you pull the right sex from the tanks if you get fish from multiple tanks.

I know for sure i want a Black & White clownfish, but i also enjoy regular clownfish as well, i am thinking maybe getting both. Do i have to buy them both at the same time? do they have to purchased as a pair together? Or if i have a have a B&W for a while and decide i want another is it okay to add one? any tips and guidance will be appreciated, i want to do the right thing for the fish of course and dont want to cause added stress for them. Thank you !

I've had my clowns together for a few months now and they don't really get along at all. Both very young too. There are some strong terretory issues at play with them. Adding them at the same time is not always needed but it can help out.

I've had my clowns together for a few months now and they don't really get along at all. Both very young too. There are some strong terretory issues at play with them. Adding them at the same time is not always needed but it can help out.
Same here. My female hangs out in the anemone and my male hosts my mag float.

Archived