Pod Your Reef

Does this look stable?

chabooky386

I just got a new stand made for my tank and I am trying to see yall think it looks stable enough to stand upright like this. The measurements are 30" wide and about 41" tall... It is a 20 gallon long tank. :mellow:

post-71617-1326517020_thumb.jpg

post-71617-1326517049_thumb.jpg

Yeah I'd defiantly do a sit test. Looks like it would be okay tho. I'm not to keen on the placement in front of the window tho. To much temperature change possibilitys plus possible algae blooms.

Try this first then give it the old bump test to see if she's gonna hold up.

Used to surf down in matagorda some and freeport woot, nice name.

gulfsurfer101

Fish pass, packery, and bobhall pier are as far as I can make it these days. I've been fishing more than surfing lately though.

Mr. Microscope

If you have to ask, then probably no, Remember, water weighs nearly 8.5 lbs/gallon. Multiply that times twenty plus 40+ pounds of rock, sand, and tank, and you're looking at something sitting on a stand that weighs upwards of 200 pounds. Add to that the fact that it'll likely be there for many years. Be mindful in this decision.

I have experience building stands and if I were building it for myself I definitely would have included support beams under the top that run front to back. At the minimum I'd have supports along the edges of the top shelf, but to feel really safe I'd have added one or two more down the middle. I'd have also included similar support under the bottom shelf. The most important thing is that the legs appear to be inside or equal to the footprint of your tank. Had they been outside the footprint and the top shelf didn't have support running under it, then all the weight of your tank would have been on the top shelf. To me it looks like the weight is evenly distributed across all the legs. I honestly think you'll be fine, especially if there are any supports under the shelves to help disperse the weight across the top shelf.

My BC14 sat on a stand for a year and a half that looks way less sturdy than this. It was a Target end table. :)

You should do a test though. Get approximately 200 pounds up on that thing. Four 50lb bags of sand are a nice test, since you can leave them up there for a while. They're also pretty cheap. If you don't want to keep them after the test you can easily return them to Lowe's or Home Depot.

Mr. Microscope
You should do a test though. Get approximately 200 pounds up on that thing. Four 50lb bags of sand are a nice test, since you can leave them up there for a while. They're also pretty cheap. If you don't want to keep them after the test you can easily return them to Lowe's or Home Depot.

+

Try this first then give it the old bump test to see if she's gonna hold up.

= :)

Ok I did the sit test and its more than sturdy enough. I am just a bit skeptical since its so tall the weight is all on top and one good shove would send it tipping over. But, we shall see. Updates coming soon. BRS COME FASTER!

Yeah I'd defiantly do a sit test. Looks like it would be okay tho. I'm not to keen on the placement in front of the window tho. To much temperature change possibilitys plus possible algae blooms.
gulfsurfer101

I've seen a five foot long tank sit on top of a plastic top folding table at a lfs here for over two years now full of liverock. If that thing has held up, I'm sure yours will too.

:o

I've seen a five foot long tank sit on top of a plastic top folding table at a lfs here for over two years now full of liverock. If that thing has held up, I'm sure yours will too.

an old theory i had read years ago, and it stands true when im building anything to support.

This was advice given on boards for building sub woofer boxes...

design it so your pet elephant can trample on it - if there is any weakness it will be exposed/blown out

Mind you i competed for many years and i'm not your back yard teenager doing this - qualified for nationals 3 times

Archived