Top Shelf Aquatics

Bootes's Clownfish (kind of) Breeding Thread

bootes123

Doing good... welcome back. Any progress over the summer or was it all just travel and margarita time?

Actually as an Anheuser Busch salesmen it actually was a lim-a-rita summer! lol. I am looking to get back into my breeding challenge.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like you got a nice system running. what do you have in the sump these days? I am setting up a grow-out tank and want to plumb it into a frag tank thats begging to be setup and wet..... Dont tell my wife... :)

looks like you got a nice system running. what do you have in the sump these days? I am setting up a grow-out tank and want to plumb it into a frag tank thats begging to be setup and wet..... Dont tell my wife... :)

Lol. The sump is basically unchanged. I am going to start working on it over vacation. I have a few ideas that I plan on posting up here to bounce off a few people.

I think that I am going to change the drain into my sump. I am going to pick up a drain made out of plastic. Its kind of a floor drain. I will post a picture if I can find one online. I just need to figure out if the plastic is reef safe. I was thinking I could paint it with krylon just to make sure. I think this drain would make it easy to filter excess food. The narrow drain will also allow the carbon to work better.

Any thoughts??

I think that I am going to change the drain into my sump. I am going to pick up a drain made out of plastic. Its kind of a floor drain. I will post a picture if I can find one online. I just need to figure out if the plastic is reef safe. I was thinking I could paint it with krylon just to make sure. I think this drain would make it easy to filter excess food. The narrow drain will also allow the carbon to work better.

Any thoughts??

This is a longer version of the pipe I was looking at. I think the piece I was looking at was $15.00

http://www.lowes.com/pd_110877-676-864G_?p...content=Default

U have the pvc hooked up to a filter sock. I picked it up on Amazon.

I bought a sterilite drawer i am going to use for filter media and carbon.

I drilled holes in the bottom of the sterilite drawer to drain.

20121010_154758.jpg

Here it is with the PVC draining into the drawer.

20121013_202223.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to install some egg crate and then insert the carbon and work on the rest of the filer!!!

This should be alot easier for me to change then the filter sock.

That's pretty cool. I like that trickle idea. That's something I've always had problems with: getting good flow through the media.

That's pretty cool. I like that trickle idea. That's something I've always had problems with: getting good flow through the media.

Yeah. I need to look for some filter media. I think i will nake something out of egg crate to hold the media.

how much carbon do you plan to put in there? I'm looking to make some sort of inserts for my sump.

I plan on putting four filter bags in the drawer.

• 4 weeks later...

NOT ONLY DID I GET HALO 4 IN THE MAIL FROM AMAZON TODAY, BUT MY FIRST CLUTCH!!!! I WILL POST PICTURES UP LATER ON! I slacked on water changes the last 2 weeks and feedings this week. I am surprised!!! I had planned on a water change today. Should I hold off???

Archived