Coral Vue Hydros

Bootes's Clownfish (kind of) Breeding Thread

bootes123

Since it is a blizzard outside I will finally start this thread.

I picked up my Brood Stock in October. They supposedly have laid eggs before. Next time I will ask for more proof. I am keeping up with water changes and feedings. I have been keeping my salinity at 1.20. I would appreciate any tips from any successful breeders. I know this will take time, which is why I wasn't in a hury to create a topic.

Both pair of Clowns are doing "practice runs."

My Female Onyx is getting huge!!

1198.jpg

ocellaris clownfish

1202.jpg

I am interested in one more laying pair eventually.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how is the lake effect snow? haha i used to live in Johnstown and it snowed almost every day from the lakes.

need more pics if your gonna start a thread. hehe

i would slowly lower your salinity to 20 ppm and bring the temp up to 83 or so. brings in more O2 and raises their metabolism so they can eat more food and get bigger.

i run my system at 18ppm and 84f and noticed a huge difference in the behaviors in my clowns and out of 12 pairs i got 5 that laid before and some are starting back up.

I have read most of your thread Pickle! You have been a great help! Thank you.

I had to go on a quick work trip for Bud Light Platnum, so havn't had a chance to upbdate.

I have been working on lowering my salinity and raising my temperature. I will update as I go.

Everything you need to get started is right here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=269202

The lake effect is always a blast. The lake is still in the 40s, so this will be the year for it!

how is the lake effect snow? haha i used to live in Johnstown and it snowed almost every day from the lakes.

need more pics if your gonna start a thread. hehe

i would slowly lower your salinity to 20 ppm and bring the temp up to 83 or so. brings in more O2 and raises their metabolism so they can eat more food and get bigger.

i run my system at 18ppm and 84f and noticed a huge difference in the behaviors in my clowns and out of 12 pairs i got 5 that laid before and some are starting back up.

Right on - Let us know if you run into any problems. I don't know how key it is, but it seems to me that once the tanks are maintained at the optimal parameters and algae starts growing on the sides of the tank is when mine start to spawn. I've been very succesful getting new "mating" pairs to start laying again within weeks once the conditions are right. I don't know if the green walls help trigger the instinct but it's one of the things I've onbserved when my pairs spawn.

First stupid question. I have looked all over for a thread that would help me convert ppt to ppm. My hydrometer reads the percentage and PPT. Do I need to get a new Hydrometer that will read to smaller units?

My temperature is currently at 82, so I will raise it a degree.

At this stage I would get rid of the hydrometer and get yourself a refractomometer. Reason being is that when you are raising temps and lowering salinity you need to be accurate. Going too low with your increased temps can have negative consequesnces.

Wow! I am having issues! I dumped the hydrometer.... I meant refractometer. I couldn't stand the hydrometer anymore. My refractometer doesn't read pomp.

i actually bought a digital refrac for my system. i wanted to be dead on with my salinity so i spent the $100 for it. overkill for some people, but it is a lifesaver for me. i add a few drops and push a button and it reads the ppm instantly. i keep my salinity at 19ppm or 20 i think.

i go by ppt cause its easier to read and remember. its a pain to remember 1.023, but saying my salinity is 20ppm is much easier. hehe

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking to build a new broodstock system. Below is what I am thinking. Each tank is a 20 gallon tank divided in half with a two inch drain pipe and a one inch return. Does anybody have ideas?

Broodstocksetup.jpg

Larger Version.

Brookstocksetup2.jpg

i actually bought a digital refrac for my system. i wanted to be dead on with my salinity so i spent the $100 for it. overkill for some people, but it is a lifesaver for me. i add a few drops and push a button and it reads the ppm instantly. i keep my salinity at 19ppm or 20 i think.

i go by ppt cause its easier to read and remember. its a pain to remember 1.023, but saying my salinity is 20ppm is much easier. hehe

Do you keep your salinity at 1.023?

I thought about doing three..... I found it hard to actually silicone in the dividers. I also wanted to keep them at 10 gallons each. Would the holes be harder to drill? I just wonder if the tank could hold up to three holes.

I thought about doing three..... I found it hard to actually silicone in the dividers. I also wanted to keep them at 10 gallons each. Would the holes be harder to drill? I just wonder if the tank could hold up to three holes.

The holes shouldn't be harder to drill. I believe that Pickles is using a similar system. Here's a video he posted:

I did 3 holes in 2 of my 20g long tanks - but I only went with 1" drains. 2" seems like overkill to me but whatever floats your boat!

Here is a video of how mine is set up -

Oh... and you just want to make sure your plumbing is supported by something other then the glass. It can get heavy and stress the weak points (your drilled holes)

I was thinking the same thing.... I will use one inch out of the tank and 2 inch into the sump. I will expand it from one inch to two inch at the T.

Thank you!

So I bought 20 gallon tank during petco's dollar a gallon sale. One of the tanks bottom rim is broken. Has anybody every had any problems returning a tank after the sale?

So I bought 20 gallon tank during petco's dollar a gallon sale. One of the tanks bottom rim is broken. Has anybody every had any problems returning a tank after the sale?

How do you find out when petco has the dollar a gallon sale?

I've never done it - but to exchange a tank, I don't think it would be an issue.

And flabob - Petco's have the sale 4 or 5 times a year (seems like more recently) You just have to check in from time to time. You can ask the employee's working there and they'll usually tell you. There are sometimes threads that pop up announcing the sales but they happen so often anymore that I rarely see the threads. When the sale was once or twice a year it was more of a big deal.

Archived