Coral Vue Hydros

Green Film algae?

thrux

Hey, newish aquarist here. I have a 28g nano with 3 fish, 3 corals, and a CUC. I've had an algae bloom pictured below. It grows on the glass within a few hours after cleaning, and is somewhat prolific on the rocks. So far, I have cut back on feeding and my light cycle to only 8 hours, as well as changed water 10% every week. I can't get rid of it. What are other options? Thanks for the help guys!

algae.jpg

Wow, that looks incredible. Definitely not your normal film algae.

I have no idea. Get some snails up in thurr, yo! :D

Wow, that looks incredible. Definitely not your normal film algae.

I have no idea. Get some snails up in thurr, yo! :D

I think the camera made it look a bit worse, but its still quite prolific. My snails seem to like the LR more.

dont give up i just got over a really bad bloom,that lasted almost 2 weeks,stop scraping it because the stuff you scrape off dies and makes more nutrients for the algae to feed on, my a few hermits,a tiger conch (the conch keeps my sand bed spotless) and a few astrea/trochus snails and get an air pump to increase the amount of oxygen in the water,also you can put a light over your filter and drop some chaeto in to absorb nutrients

what type/how big are your fish....3 in a 10 could be adding a bit of bioload....I only had 1-2 in a 10

+1

Sounds like excess nutrients too. Feed less often and try to thin out the herd.

JamieSheffield

I've got a similar problem...some green algae growing on my glass and a bit on some of my rocks...I think it's due to over feeding (tough for me to resist because all of the beasties love it so much) and too long a light cycle...

My plan is to reduce the number of feedings as well as the amount fed each time, in conjunction with a reduction of my tank light-cycle and an increase in the amount of time my refugium lights are on every day...

Any other suggestions would be helpful and appreciated...

Jamie

dont give up i just got over a really bad bloom,that lasted almost 2 weeks,stop scraping it because the stuff you scrape off dies and makes more nutrients for the algae to feed on, my a few hermits,a tiger conch (the conch keeps my sand bed spotless) and a few astrea/trochus snails and get an air pump to increase the amount of oxygen in the water,also you can put a light over your filter and drop some chaeto in to absorb nutrients

If you dont scrape it, its going to die off on its own anyways...thats how it disappears is from dying not like some magic comes and takes it away, and if snails eat it, it still turns into nitrate when they poo and they poo turns to ammonia...so better to scrape and have it caught in your mechanical filter, than you can just rinse out your filter floss after a few hours and the mass that is in the water column due to scraping will be almost gone.

Cut back on feeding, lights, and do water changes more frequently and of a greater volume than normal. Once your tank goes back to a state of equilibrium that is desirable, start boosting feedings and light again. Basically go into safemode like on your computer until the problem is fixed, than boot back up to normal.

Always clean out your mechanical filtration on a weekly/biweekly basis. anything after this and you can get a build up of aerobic bacteria which turn nitrite and ammonia to nitrate. you want some of these bacteria as they help remove ammonia faster than if not present, however if you have too many aerobic bacteria (and they gather on mechanical filtration and live off of oxygen and light) they can leech excess nitrates into your system. Keep things clean and invest in some filter floss, activated carbon, and possibly a sump or a means of biological filtration

turning your lights off can be hard since its so much fun to watch your corals and fish, however if your leaving them on for extended periods of time just so you can be appeased, you are in essence abusing your tanks inhabitants.

Look into an effective GFO. I use chemipure elite, but i find when I overfeed my sand gets a little nasty...than if I continue it spreads onto the glass. So I take drastic measures to ensure nutrient levels stay low. Its all about controlling your tank and not letting nutrients get out of hand because you like to feed more often than needed and leaving lights on longer than they should be on.

Thanks for all the help guys.

First, it's a 28G. I have a blue chromie, bangaii cardinal, and flame angel. Also CUC, a cleaner shrimp, a mithrax crab, finger leather, green torch, and some zoas. I don't plan on adding anything until this is over with, but I'd like to add a YWG.

EDIT: Do my corals need light?

I've begun to do all the above. I scraped this morning, and I immediately did a 20% WC this AM (I usually do 10%). I shut off my light timer. I have also reduced feedings (I'm new so I probably overfeed).

EDIT: I'm also using a physical filter, chemipure, and chaeto in my 3 chambers. I've been reading UV would help? How bout a skimmer?

My parameters are 8.4 ph/1.024 SG/0 ammonia/0 nitrite/ 20 ppm nitrates, but holding steady there +-5ppm since I started the tank.

Now, I followed my LFS' directions as far as feeding the corals. He told me to feed phyto. This is a phyto bloom right? I've also stopped feeding the corals period. My finger leather has absolutely exploded since I had this bloom.

Once again, thanks for all the help guys!

you can boost your salinity up to 1.026 or even 1.0265 is what I aim for. Raising salinity will increase the concentration of avaliable supplements and minerals from the salt mix. This will also help keep calcium and DKH at a balanced level.

phyto bloom, it happens in a newer tank. You should be able to scrape it off no problem

yeah, that looks like both my tanks when I first set them up. just keep up with water changes and it should go away shortly. Mine would do the same thing...i would scrape it off and next day it would look like that again. I forget how long it took to stop but it wasn't long

After Saturday, Sunday, and all day today without light and little feeding! Looking much better, I'm going to ease up on light time. Even my missing (1 month) mithrax crab came out to see! Thanks for the help guys!

fts.jpg

Archived