Top Shelf Aquatics

Islandoftiki's 10 Gallon Custom Tank Build.

Islandoftiki

Thanks for the tank tour! I just saw this thread and thought where the F did this nice little tank come from????

WTF, you got a tank in every room?

Nice hat btw!!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the tank tour! I just saw this thread and thought where the F did this nice little tank come from????

WTF, you got a tank in every room?

Nice hat btw!!

The Pest Tank and the 10 gallon tank are in the living room. The 25 gallon mantis is in the bird room just off of the living room, and the 7 gallon is in the basement where I do all of my water mixing and keep all of my reefing equipment.

This is going to be a nice tank. Congrats. Oh, do you have any pics of that 2gal? Looks interisting.

Lol, you're kidding right?

Nice hat btw!!

You don't see me in public without a fedora very often. Except when I'm in super hero costume, then I often wear a top hat...

Behold, Non Sequitur and Wonder Woman!

NS_zps1e0fd0e5.jpg

This was part of a local bar crawl we call Supercon! The best part of playing the roll of Non Sequitur is that horses can run very fast! (See what I did there?)

That's baldie-code for "I'm bald". ;)

Not quite...

54bdd8ea-74b8-4653-8620-077fe9cc27eb_zps

But I do need a haircut, which I'm getting tonight. Stay tuned for updates! This is getting exciting, folks!

I hope I can get my 12g (current learning tank) and my future 10-20g to look half as good as this tank. Wow, every time I see this thing I am floored.

I really do love the gnome glass skimmer, too. That's high on my priority list. I know you said you like the Tunze 9002, but for the price, the gnome glass one seems so great.

Are you still using the Odyssea T5 bulbs (ATI blue, ATI blue, Geismann, Purple)?

I replied to this thread earlier and have been reading and I notice...

WTF, how has this been around so long and I'm just seeing it!

As usual, great tank Tiki.

Hi, Tiki.

1. Love all of your tanks.

2. Love all your avatar pics :lol:

3. Love the cabinet you have your 10g

BTW I have been keeping track of your nems that I want to send you. I have not forgotten :) . The weather is still cruddy down here (sleeting today :( ). Soon, though, the weather should get warm enough to send them safely.

• 3 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

Hey folks, I just got back from a week in Hawaii. Lots of snorkeling and tide pool exploring!

I bought an inexpensive underwater camera before we left and had some fun taking videos of snorkeling and tide pools.

Enjoy!

More to come as I get the footage edited!

Islandoftiki

Some pictures from the tide pools:

Tide Pool Corals:

100_0074_zpse9a4ab3b.jpg

100_0076_zpsa7041911.jpg

Cowries hanging out under a rock, waiting for the tide to come back in:

100_0092_zps78b62955.jpg

Freaking huge spaghetti worm (or something like that). It had 2 foot long tentacles. I was most fascinated by this thing.

100_0081_zps0b9641ab.jpg

100_0082_zps20839450.jpg

100_0073_zps56ec2b88.jpg

Awesome Scroll Algae! I love this stuff.

100_0089_zps42fc239b.jpg

100_0088_zps556ebd4b.jpg

There are no urchins hiding in these pictures. Nothing to see here, move along....

100_0086_zpsdec8c07b.jpg

100_0087_zps1369ef53.jpg

Cucumber!

100_0077_zpsc84c5dd1.jpg

There is so much to see under the sea! Loved the snorkeling video, it almost made me sea-sick! :lol:

In the first video, I loved the way the husband Gobi (?) kept the entrance to his domicile nice and clean! So cute!!

Thanks for sharing the vids and pics. Nice :)

Islandoftiki

Time for some updates!

All of my tanks did quite well under the supervision of our tank sitter over the past week. I'm happy to see the algae issues 95% solved with the addition of extra phosphate media and possibly the addition of Macrobacter 7, but I'm mainly giving credit to the Rowaphos.

Here are some current pictures of the tank:

E9A64DFA-orig_zps629cb4d0.jpg

My SPS are starting to color back up!

7AA40517-orig_zps571157a8.jpg

My Ricordeas have lost a little color, I'll start feeding them a little more.

091A3787-orig_zps4bfcb3e3.jpg

This little frag of war coral has never looked better.

78785A10-orig_zpsb70a0baa.jpg

This hammer started life in my tank with only three heads.

AD2296B8-orig_zps9645ed48.jpg

This plating monti is growing really fast!

FC16420D-orig_zps15773759.jpg

I think there were three or four heads on this duncan when I got it. Haven't counted them lately. At least 20 now.

BC8A636C-orig_zpsfde02ffb.jpg

That's all the pictures I took for now. The tank is doing great.

• 4 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

That spaghetti worm thing is crazy! I would have been afraid to swim that close to it. Haha! Thanks for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Islandoftiki

So, quick update.

The tank is SLOWLY being broken down. Maddi the sixline has gone to an amazing 75 gallon tank owned by a local reefer. Pete and Repeat the cleaner shrimp pair have gone to another advanced level local reefer for his biocube. This Sunday, Anna Banana the yellow watchman goby and her tiger pistol shrimp Buddy will go to another advanced level local reefer's tank.

That will leave the pom pom crab, some hermits and a couple snails. And this guy... A tuxedo urchin who was the size of your thumb nail when I got him as an unwanted hitchhiker. Now he's the size of the first part of your thumb! They grow up so fast!

D168E356-orig_zps6aaa3eb3.jpg

The tank still has all of the corals, and once all of the inhabitants are out, I will start aggressively killing off all of this annoying red algae with peroxide. Then I will be selling off most of the corals. Ultimately I will probably keep the tank and put it back up as something new and interesting when we move to Hawaii in a year or so.

• 4 months later...

Well folks, this tank was taken down this weekend, but don't be sad. All of the rock and corals were moved into my amazing new 30 gallon IM Nuvo tank!

Check out the new tank thread to see an amazing and wonderful new tank! With the world's coolest mantis shrimp, too!

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/335587-islandoftikis-nuvo-30-peacock-mantis-tank/

Archived