Top Shelf Aquatics

Islandoftiki's 10 Gallon Custom Tank Build.

Islandoftiki

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki
Do the minis stay put or is it one of those "this is where I hope you stay" situations like most nems?

General consensus is the mini carpet nems stay put once attached. It attached about 1/2" from where I initially placed it and hasn't budged.

• 2 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

My first chalice:

(Actinic lighting)

6BDD562C.jpg

Got this frag from a local reefer. $25.00. Sweet deal.

My first chalice:

(Actinic lighting)

6BDD562C.jpg

Nice find!!

Islandoftiki

Just for grins, here's a picture of my Dr. Thadeus Venture costume I wore to a costumed wedding this Sunday...

600694_10150902546557945_464134408_n.jpg

And here's a video of the Scooby-Do ending...

Go Team Venture!

gearhead364
My first chalice:

(Actinic lighting)

6BDD562C.jpg

Thats a sweet lookin chalice! what kind is it?

Islandoftiki
Thats a sweet lookin chalice! what kind is it?

It's Tyree Goldeneye.

The skimmer is doing mighty fine sir?

It's still doing great. It's due for a new airstone about now. I'm going to pull it out, clean it thoroughly and put a new airstone on it Thursday evening.

It's Tyree Goldeneye.

It's still doing great. It's due for a new airstone about now. I'm going to pull it out, clean it thoroughly and put a new airstone on it Thursday evening.

Wanna show pics of the skimmate lol?

• 2 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

Well, the tank has been going great, so not much to report, so here's a little video of dinner time!

CrownOfficial

this tank is just awesome, really clean and everything looks amazing. I'm ordering the same tank from micro reefs in a few weeks and I hope I can pull something this well put together.

Islandoftiki
this tank is just awesome, really clean and everything looks amazing. I'm ordering the same tank from micro reefs in a few weeks and I hope I can pull something this well put together.

It's hard to go wrong with this tank. I'll tell you what though. If you can swing the extra cost, I'd sump it. I can't quite get away with a sump in my situation, but it would make things look a lot cleaner and make adding things like skimmers a whole lot easier. But if you can't sump it, at least get the in-tank media basket for the AC70. Actually, any idea if an AC 110 will fit? Maybe? Ask Mike. If it will, you can squeeze a Tunze 9002 skimmer into that with an In-tank media basket.

CrownOfficial

I'm looking to add a sump. I've got plenty of room where the tank will sit as well as options for where to put it. I've had a lot of previous experience with smaller tanks but absolutely none on setting up a sump. I'm looking into it though.

Islandoftiki
Looks awesome! Chalice is sweet!! :)

Thanks. I was debating the identification of the golden eye, but after a couple weeks under the lighting of my tank, the mouths are most certainly a yellowy-gold.

There's also a small frag of molten lava chalice in there on the rock above the golden eye. If I'm successful in keeping these, I'll add one of those crazy expensive technicolor vomit looking chalices.

gearhead364
Thanks. I was debating the identification of the golden eye, but after a couple weeks under the lighting of my tank, the mouths are most certainly a yellowy-gold.

There's also a small frag of molten lava chalice in there on the rock above the golden eye. If I'm successful in keeping these, I'll add one of those crazy expensive technicolor vomit looking chalices.

Doooo it!! im currently addicted to chalices..... I think its funny because like weed each chalice has its own unique name lol

• 3 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

Unless you have cleaner shrimp for pets, it's unlikely you have a pet that will happily give you a manicure. Maybe you have a trained monkey that gives manicures... I'll give you that one. But failing that, no other pet that I know of besides cleaner shrimp will pamper you and make your hands beautiful. And, cleaner shrimp don't throw feces, so they're one-up on the monkeys in my eyes.

Here's a little video of my cleaner shrimp

Islandoftiki

Ok, Wow...

Earlier this afternoon, I'm looking at the tank and I notice a couple of what look like cleaner shrimp babies. I've seen it before AFTER the cleaner shrimp have given birth, but never seen the actual process of giving birth... until today. And what's better? I caught it on video!!!!

Ok, Wow...

Earlier this afternoon, I'm looking at the tank and I notice a couple of what look like cleaner shrimp babies. I've seen it before AFTER the cleaner shrimp have given birth, but never seen the actual process of giving birth... until today. And what's better? I caught it on video!!!!

Whoa that is nuts! Loos like that wrasse is having a grand ole time. I imagine it's kind of just like an extra feeding?

Islandoftiki
Whoa that is nuts! Loos like that wrasse is having a grand ole time. I imagine it's kind of just like an extra feeding?

Yeah, she got full and gave up after a while. The corals eventually got the remaining ones. You should see how puffed up the hammer coral and frogspawns are!

• 2 weeks later...
Islandoftiki
How's the tank Tiki?

The tank is made of win and awesome. There are some new additions in there that I need to photograph. Some various palys, zoas, orange monti cap, blue birdsnest, candycane, etc.

I'll try to get some pics posted tonight. :)

Archived