Coral Vue Hydros

Islandoftiki's 10 Gallon Custom Tank Build.

Islandoftiki

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Islandoftiki

Oh man, I forgot to post about the new tiger pistol shrimp. The original one vanished without a trace. The new one paired up with the goby at first sight. They've been busy re-landscaping the tank ever since. You wouldn't think one shrimp could move so much sand! He's cute as heck though, so I don't mind. The goby seems much happier with her shrimp.

The tank is doing great. I ordered a wood airstone skimmer the other day. I should have it next week. I'm hoping it will help with a minor algae issue I'm having. I have two turbo snails busy taking care of it right now. They're about 2/3 done.

Today was water change, clean out the HOB filter, wash the chaeto, clean the glass, etc.

I've been busy getting my competition pico all set up. Going to pick up a few more pests tomorrow and then it'll be time to toss the Mantis shrimp in! He's so cool!

Islandoftiki

My hand blown glass protein skimmer arrived today. it's a limewood airstone type of skimmer and is small enough to fit in my 10 gallon tank next to the AC70 hob filter.

If I have time, I'll get it set up tonight. I'm getting over a cold, so we'll see if I have the energy after work. I'll be taking pictures and doing a full review of the product as well.

Here's what you get:

BB71B5F2.jpg

It's made by Gnome Glass and this particular one cost me $60.00 including shipping.

Gnome Glass Website

Islandoftiki

Here are the instructions he sent me for the skimmer:

Here are some setup instructions (which will appear on the website once I take pics and edit 'em down... the work never ends!)

As a brief guide, start with the dome of the skimmer about 2 and a half inches above the water line. The slider mount is held in position by two bands of silicone airline - I'll include a bunch of spares, but if you ever need more just snip off pieces about 1/8" thick from regular airline (or, of course, visit my store :)). To adjust the height of these bands, lubricate the mounting rod (holding it under tank water works great, or just pass it through your fingers a couple times) and slide it up to the position of the top of the mount. Then, put the rod into the mount and add the second band. Please hold the hook, rather than the skimmer body, while moving the second band into position to avoid scuffing the glass. The band next to the diagonal cut can be slid down into the cut, to keep the skimmer from wobbling around. I recommend putting the skimmer's lower opening in an area of moderate to high flow for best results.

The airline mounts in the same way as the mounting hook - just add your airstone, put on one silicone band to hold the line in place, then feed the line through the mount, and then add another silicone band to keep it in position. Once all is mounted, attach your airflow. If the flow from your pump is not adjustable, I recommend adding a tee just after the airpump, with one line from the tee going to the skimmer, and the other end going to a ballvalve, which will release extra pressure. Adding a short length of airline after the ball valve will make it silent. Adjust the airflow to the skimmer until the first foam produced forms a head about 3/4" above the waterline - after you've achieved this, simply leave it alone for a while. Proteins will gather in the head of foam, which will get drier at the top and increase in surface tension. Soon, the top layer of foam will climb the walls of the skimmer, and once it gets to the top it will be ejected from the spout, down the skimmate line, and into the receptacle of your choice. As the skimmate moves through the spout, the foam remaining in the skimmer will sink below the water line - this is normal, and serves to help exchange the water in the skimmer body, increasing efficiency.

Being made of wood, the airstone will absorb water from the tank, and may need some adjustment after the first day in the tank. For a drier skimmate, decrease the airflow and/or increase the height of the skimmer relative to the water line. For a wetter skimmate, increase the airflow or lower the skimmer. For high bio loads, it is recommended to increase the airflow first, and skim on the wet side (skimmate should look like tea, not coffee :D).

In a couple months, the bubbles produced by the airstone will get less fine and skimmate production can drop - the remedy to this is to take out the airstone, and shave the layer of algae off of the bubble emitting sides with a sharp knife. This can be done many times, but please be careful. Still, they need to be replaced eventually, so whenever you need another I will have plenty :)

If you have any questions setting up, please let me know!

Cheers!

-Calen

Islandoftiki

I got the glass Gnome skimmer hooked up late last night and fiddled around with it a little. It took about 15 minutes to connect everything and do some rough adjustments. It should take a couple days for it to break in and some minor tweaking to get it to start producing skimmate.

I'll post some pictures or video tonight.

Islandoftiki
Awesome! Now we need someone to make them out of Acrylic!

It would be exceedingly simple.

Straight piece of thin wall acrylic tubing 1 1/4 in diameter. A small acrylic tube or other stiff tubing to go down the center and connect to the airstone. Drill and install a port in the side for the skimmmate to come out. Drilled rubber stopper for the top for the tube to go through, airstone and some various bits of clear vinly hose. Look at the glass MAME skimmer to see what I mean with the drilled stopper. I don't think it's necessary for it to neck down in size like the MAME does though.

I'm guessing you want one in acrylic for your mantis tank. I probably wouldn't put anything glass in my mantis tank.

Yup. Would have to be Acrylic for the Mantis. Nothing glass in the tank. I wonder if Chris @ Pico Aquariums could make one? Or maybe Mike could have TruVu make one?

Islandoftiki
Yup. Would have to be Acrylic for the Mantis. Nothing glass in the tank. I wonder if Chris @ Pico Aquariums could make one? Or maybe Mike could have TruVu make one?

Yeah, I was thinking it would be cool if Mike could get something custom made in acrylic. I already posed the question to him.

Heck, maybe I'll go to the plastic store and price out what the raw materials would cost and make a couple myself and sell them.

There's also the Glazer skimmers, but I don't think he's making those any more. He didn't respond to my PM.

Yeah, I was thinking it would be cool if Mike could get something custom made in acrylic. I already posed the question to him.

Heck, maybe I'll go to the plastic store and price out what the raw materials would cost and make a couple myself and sell them.

There's also the Glazer skimmers, but I don't think he's making those any more. He didn't respond to my PM.

Yeah, I was thinking about the Glazer skimmer too. Although I did see he isn't around much anymore. I believe that Chris @ PicoAquariums said he could make that one though. I'll ask him :)

• 3 weeks later...
Islandoftiki
Question about your skimmer:

What air pump did you end up using?

Tetra 26075 Whisper Air Pump, 150

I have it running to a gang valve to bleed off excess air. The pump is very quiet after running for a couple weeks. Got it for 35 bucks on Amazon.com with free shipping.

Noise was a big concern for me since the tank is in the living room. I'm happy with it.

Thanks for the info.

Could you elaborate on how this is hooked up? I've never used an air pump before. It looks like it sits inside the tank?

I've watched the video but it wasn't clear to me how this is all hooked up and running (in terms of the skimmer that is).

Wait a sec...just re-watched it...I think I understand.

So basically the air pump sits in your cabinet and has a tube coming off of it. That tube runs into a T-Splitter that has one tube left open with a clamp for air bleed off, and the other tube goes into the skimmer?

Is that accurate?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Chris,

I've used the Berlin airlift 60 and it's made of a really durable plastic and is very small! It fits into the back AIO 6 gallon system 12 x 12 x 12... Although not as small as the Gnome, it is very small and it conceals nicely!

In order for us to have TruVu make one, we cannot copy other people's designs that are running in production, it is against copyrighted infringements.

If you design one and have use carbon copy it out for you, then it's different. I ran into this concern with TruVu, we have to be very careful we don't copy anyone's hard work already.

I see so much great stuff on this board and we have to just step back and admire it if it's copyright... ;)

Thanks Mike!

I haven't decided what route I'm going yet skimmer wise or when I'll need one to be honest. However I think I may be able to get away with glass since I can put it in the back AIO section, which is completely sealed off from the Display Tank and cannot be damaged by the mantis :)

Islandoftiki

Honestly, I would have used a TUNZE 9002 if I had the space. I suspect you might in the back compartment.

The glass skimmer is awesome, but they'll be more maintenance than the Tunze ones. It's not a lot of maintenance, basic cleaning and replacing airstones is all, really.

As far as the airpump setup goes, the line goes straight to the airstone, but there's a T-fitting in-line and an adjustable bleed-off valve because the pump creates more air than is actually needed for the airstone, and you need to be able to bleed off the excess or else the skimmer would evacuate the contents of the tank in a matter of hours. Hehe.

• 2 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

Well, this thread is long overdue for an update! I've been adding stock to this tank, but I've been so busy with the pest tank that I've been neglecting updating you all on what's new with the main display tank! Here are some pictures of the newest goodies! Two local shops are moving to new locations and many new things were procured from their sales!

My sixline is still doing great. She's happy as a clam. My pod population is finally starting to get up to speed, so I'm sure she's happy about that!

Ricordea.jpg

This is the ricordea rock I've been working on for a couple weeks. It's looking nice and I'll fill in some more as I find ones I like. Most of these came from The Premium Aquarium in their shop moving sale! A couple are from Rose City Aquarium and one is from Upscales.

IMG_3210.jpg

Rose City Aquarium moving sale Duncans! They're particularly nice teal/pink. They were a little beat up when I got them, but they're doing great now. They're really thriving.

IMG_3211.jpg

I bought these pink palys in a group buy a month or two ago. They're really amazing and extremely fast growing. This had 4 full sized heads on it when I got it. It seems to have a new head every week. It's going to be a great addition as it grows out. Shouldn't take long!

IMG_3214.jpg

Another sale item. Coco worm. Beautiful color in an otherwise drab corner of the tank.

IMG_3216.jpg

Picked up these acans from a local reefer the other day.

IMG_3217.jpg

As always, two of the most active members of the tank...

IMG_3219.jpg

I moved my brain coral up to the top of this rock. It seems to like it. There are some nice zoas at the very top... no idea what they might be named -- don't care. The bright green ones are radioactive dragon eyes and the orange palys are called something or other. The frag plug is part of a local growout contest. It's Green Slimer SPS. The last little bit of algae is here on this rock. It's slowly going away as I starve it out.

The GSP's in this picture are pretty slow growing. They've barely advanced in 6 months. The Gnome Glass skimmer in the background has been working great. I'm glad I bought it.

IMG_3222.jpg

That's it for now. The tank is slowly maturing and doing very well.

Islandoftiki

Also, I just finished installing my Tunze Osmolator ATO. Waiting to see it kick in. Soon. Soon.

Archived