Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Islandoftiki's 10 Gallon Custom Tank Build.

Islandoftiki

I just fragged up my xenia the other day. That's one of the pieces below the power head, it's wrapped in bridal netting until it attaches. I don't think I want to put the xenia directly onto the rock as it could go crazy and take over that side of the tank... or the whole tank. I like to keep it on it's own little island. :)

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My full clean-up crew came from Reef Cleaners yesterday and I unleashed a herd of snails into the tank to take care of the diatom bloom. I went with 5 Florida ceriths, 4 medium-small nerites, 4 Nassarius Vibex, and pile of dwarf ceriths. That's in addition to the already existing pico crew that transferred over. The went all sickhouse on the diatoms last night. They should have the tank sparkling clean within a week.

Oh, and I got a real score. One of the Florida cerith snails came with a little tiny feather duster worm attached to it. It looks like like it has a paddle wheel steam boat exhaust stack on it.

• Like 1

mine are covered with the dusters too! i think they are barnacles though... but whatever they are i like them lol. i have a third rapid led par38 bulb coming as well so i don't have to take the one off the pico.

mine are covered with the dusters too! i think they are barnacles though... but whatever they are i like them lol. i have a third rapid led par38 bulb coming as well so i don't have to take the one off the pico.

A couple of the nerites have live barnacles on them.

The Florida Cerith with the feather duster looks like some sort of Steampunk snail contraption with an exhaust pipe. It's awesome. I'll take a picture of him if he gets near the front of the tank.

• Like 1

Show and tell time!

Things are going great in the new 10 gallon tank. The clean up crew has been hard at work getting the tank nicely cleaned up.

One of my favorite new inhabitants is this crusty old Florida cerith with a fan worm attached to his shell.

FD39207F.jpg

Another one of the cerith with his fan worm.

1C09E2AE.jpg

My recently fragged Xenia.

BE0C9A8A.jpg

GSP, Zoas, etc...

9D8FC5F2.jpg

Hungry Favia. It wants brains, brains! Wait, it is a brain...

D7E5A684.jpg

Some miscellaneous corals.

F26C3296.jpg

A few new additions:

Pete and Re-Pete:

774E7CA2.jpg

Giant fluorescent green mushrooms:

8E134E0F.jpg

A tiny frag of War coral, hopefully will encrust the rock behind. I'll take it off the plug and glue it to the rock soon.

786D99BB.jpg

A beautiful fluorescent pink and blue ricordea with a green mouth:

C62874A2.jpg

And a small colony of zoas (don't know if they have a name. Don't care either):

87DAC79C.jpg

Here's a little video of my tank at "dusk" when the main lights turning off and leaving only the blue actinic lights. The actinics turn off after 1/2 hour to be replaced by the moonlights. My sixline is just chilling out with a full tummy and getting relaxed and ready for sleep. She sleeps behind the large rock on the left in a vertical orientation in a cocoon of mucus. The cleaner shrimp are new as of yesterday.

good looking tank! love the war coral, i bought one with one eye and now it has over 30 eyes and is growing pretty quickly now. its probably one of my favorite corals in my tank now. its feeding tenticles are always out looking for stuff to eat which i think is pretty cool too. briefly skimmed your thread and its looking good!

Quick update. Looks like my cleaner shrimp have assumed gender roles. I'm not sure if they call it the same thing for marine shrimp as they do for freshwater shrimp, but the larger one is obviously "saddled" carrying eggs in the ovaries just behind the head. I'm guessing after she molts, the eggs will drop down and she will become "berried" and the male will fertilize the eggs. So there should be a batch of babies for my sixline to eat before too long.

Quick update. Looks like my cleaner shrimp have assumed gender roles. I'm not sure if they call it the same thing for marine shrimp as they do for freshwater shrimp, but the larger one is obviously "saddled" carrying eggs in the ovaries just behind the head. I'm guessing after she molts, the eggs will drop down and she will become "berried" and the male will fertilize the eggs. So there should be a batch of babies for my sixline to eat before too long.

Haha, berried. Man, first thing that pop in my head when you say that are cherry chrimps and crystal reds. Freshies!

Haha, berried. Man, first thing that pop in my head when you say that are cherry chrimps and crystal reds. Freshies!

Yeah, I've got a 2 gallon Fluval Spec at work with Amano, Tiger and Yellow shrimp. I've had successful breeding of the tigers and the yellows. These marine shrimp are different animals for sure. Much more aggressive and with totally different personalities. My favorite part of the cleaner shrimp is their desire to clean your hand when you put it in the tank.

• 4 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

Hey folks, it's been a while since my last update, so I wanted to make it a good one. Lots of things have changed in the past couple weeks. Some new corals and critters. I finally had some time this weekend and threw together a more comprehensive video tour of my tank. Enjoy!

Islandoftiki

I got my Tiger Pistol Phrimp and Yellow Watchman Goby last night on my way home from work. I introduced them to the tank just before the lights went out for the night as to ease some of the stress of the new environment and allow them to settle in while my sixline was asleep.

The sixline was still awake when they went in and seemed a little agitated, curious and cautious about this new fish in her tank. She wasn't aggressive towards it though.

I was waiting as the lights turned on this morning and the sixline woke up. She still seemed mildly agitated, flashing her dorsal fin if the goby got near, but again, no aggression. She went over to inspect the goby a couple times and hold herself up sideways to the goby to show how big she is.

The tiger shrimp went to work last night building a den. I didn't see him this morning. The tiger and the goby were obviously paired when I picked them up, but they managed to lose each other when they went into the tank. We'll see if they find each other during the day today.

My fiance is home all day and will be keeping an eye out for aggression from the sixline, but I think we'll be good to go after they get settled in and comfortable with each other.

They should find each other no problem. I had the same thing happen to my yasha and randalls pistol when putting them into the tank.

Your tank has really turned out nice, we bought from Mike at about the same time and you are way ahead of me in the stocking dept. I hope to have an update on my 8g this weekend. Just waiting on my frag shipment for tomorrow.

Islandoftiki

Update: The goby has settled in comfortably to the first hole that the shrimp dug. I haven't seen the goby and shrimp together, nor have I seen the shrimp, but there are new piles of sand around the tank, so it's safe to say that he's been busy.

The sixline completely ignores the goby now.

EB79B123.jpg

Islandoftiki

Update:

The goby is doing very well. She spends about equal time in her little cave and out milling around on the sand bed at the front of the tank. She seems to like cyclopeze the most. She doesn't seem to have much interest in most other foods. The sixline doesn't even notice her any more. Her pistol shrimp hasn't shown up since the day after he went into the tank, but he's obviously alive judging by the new sand arrangements that change from day to day.

I moved the goby's rock yesterday and turned it around making her a slightly larger cave. I suspected this was where the pistol shrimp was living because that rock has a natural cave formation underneath it. When I lifted it up, I discovered that the entire underside of the rock had be stuffed with every loose piece of red macro algae that had been scattered around the tank. How funny. I didn't find the shrimp though. Perhaps with the new rock arrangement, he'll find his goby a little easier.

Islandoftiki

New coral from Totally Exotic Corals of Oregon!

I got these in a group buy with a group of local reefers. My four polyp frag that I paid for has 6 polyps! Awesome! You would have to see these in person for the full effect, but suffice it to say they are amazing!

1893E7CF.jpg

Sorry, my picture is lousy, but here's a better picture from their website.

Archived