SaltCritters.com

Islandoftiki's 10 Gallon Custom Tank Build.

Islandoftiki

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hang on to your hats folks! Here we go!

Equipment ready to be assembled!

4FFD7482.jpg

AC70:

BAE13FC6.jpg

Media Basket in AC70:

94FAD502.jpg

Next up, MP10!

3A4431DC.jpg

This is going to look really cool! I like the dimensions on this tank. The length makes it much more fish friendly, as well as the fact th shallow depth allows better light penetration. I'll definitely have to consider this tank when I set up my next micro....

Keep the photos coming! I'm excited for this tank!!

Getting the water up to temp. Heater is going and I'm taking a quart of water at a time and heating it for a couple minutes in the microwave and dumping it back in to speed up the process...

1FB8C1DB.jpg

And... It's cocktail hour.

Up to 74.7 degrees. Live rock going in soon!

Everything up and running! Live rock is in the tank. I'll play with the rockscape once it clears up and I can see what I'm doing a little better.

562711B2.jpg

Working on installing the fuge light for the chaeto. I filed a small U-shaped channel to allow the cord to go through with the top on it.

8BC3E403.jpg

Looks like a slick build.

The only thing I can say is the rock on the left is too big for your tank.

Take out the hammer/chisel and start shaping that sucker. :)

Looks like a slick build.

The only thing I can say is the rock on the left is too big for your tank.

Take out the hammer/chisel and start shaping that sucker. :)

Yep, just knocked 1/3 of it off. I'm done for the night, but I might take a little more off tomorrow. That big rock has a small patch of GSP and two different kinds of zoas on it, so I'm trying to make sure they don't get damaged. :-)

that. looks. awesome. nuff said.

The zoas would like to back up your statement... They seem pleased with the new digs.

874AD0F8.jpg

Ok, so how soon before I start transferring things from my pico to the 10 gallon? I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get a cycle. The live rock is fully cured from a local reefer's established 60 gallon tank, and the sand is non-live aragonite. So far, Ammo, nitrite and nitrates are still holding at zero. I would expect if there was going to be any die-off, it would have happened within the first week. I've been dosing Nite-Out bacteria as per the recommended dosage as well. I suspect it's ready.

Ok, here's a little update. Everything is going great with the 10 gallon tank.

This weekend, I transferred everything from the 2 gallon pico to the 10 gallon. I started by draining the pico over half way and started re-filling is slowly over an hour or so with water from the 10 gallon to acclimate everything. The two tanks are pretty similar, same salinity, temp, pH, etc etc.

After getting everything acclimated, I moved the live rock and corals over first. My pom pom crab held on tight to the main piece of rock as it moved to the new tank which left only my little sixline wrasse all alone and very confused. Once I got all of the rock situated, I managed to net my sixline without her jumping out of the tank.

The pom pom crab found a comfortable spot pretty quickly and has claimed it for himself.

My sixline hid behind the largest rock for about 20 minutes and then started slowly venturing out. By the end of the evening, she had made a pretty good cursory examination of the entire tank, but stayed close to cover most of the time.

The next morning, I came downstairs to find her thoroughly comfortable in her new home and frolicking in the water flow of the MP10. She's been very active and as always is very personable and curious about us when we're around or sitting in front of the tank watching.

I'm going to turn the pico tank into a QT tank and keep it in the basement for now. It'll eventually go into the room with the African Grey parrot. I'll have some live rock and soft corals in it to keep it interesting, and some snails and possibly a hermit.

The 10 gallon tank is super awesome.

I'll try to get some pictures/video up in a couple days. I'm still in the middle of moving in with the fiance, so I don't have a ton of time. That's probably good, it'll keep me from digging around in the tank so much this week and give things time to settle and become comfortable.

I threw together a quick video last night while I was feeding Maddy (That's the name my fiance gave the Sixline)

Anybody have any suggestions for what to stock on that big rock that's next to the MP10? It gets fairly high flow there... probably too much for a mushroom coral.

Any thoughts or changes you would make if it were your tank?

Archived