Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Astrea Snails SUCK... but not really!

JMCollins24

I have 6 astrea snails in my 20g H tank, but they seem to be really lazy and not really doing anything but chillin' on my live rocks. Any suggestions on some good sand sifters or glass cleaner snails? I have 6 hermits in there too and 2 emerald crabs and a cleaner shrimp. ...yes, I plan on keeping a reef tank down the line so I definately don't want any reef murderers :huh:

Mine have always tended to be lazy during the day, but when the lights come on the next day, it's pretty surprising how much they clean overnight.

Yeah, they've been good at clearing some of the hair algae I had on one of my rocks, but I'm going to go out today to see if I can find some new snails at the LFS to help with my substrate and sand. I saw some spiny stars there the other day, are those really any good for the I want?

I have 6 astrea snails in my 20g H tank, but they seem to be really lazy and not really doing anything but chillin' on my live rocks.

Are they in a union?

Yeah, they've been good at clearing some of the hair algae I had on one of my rocks, but I'm going to go out today to see if I can find some new snails at the LFS to help with my substrate and sand. I saw some spiny stars there the other day, are those really any good for the I want?

johny gives free shipping on his quick crews - .... why waste gas? :)

reefcleaners.org

what is with everyone just responding to any question at all that has to do with cuc's with just reefcleaners.org? this is a new person here, explain why they should go there. i have ordered from them 3 different times, and although they are great, they dont know your tank. bottom line, ask the op questions like you would for any other situation and then maybe give them some input. reefcleaners told me no way on a turbo in my 10 and not a single snail that they sent me would eat anything other than film on the glass. i dont think ive seen any of them on my rock more than twice. i bought a turbo and bam, algae gone

to answer your question, i have heard good things about mini brittle stars. some will live in your rock and others will dive into your sand.

what is with everyone just responding to any question at all that has to do with cuc's with just reefcleaners.org?

why because the question is best answered by johny, email him and find out what he suggest..

Turbos are great yes.. They do not ALWAYS eat GHA, and i will tell you I have 2 in my 40b and they dont give a damned about my GHA. You can spend hours researching what to buy or you can send one email to john and have the response back in no time

edit - and yes that turbo will eventually die out because it does not have enough food to sustain itself. Right now it may be small enough but when it gets the size of your fist, you'll get a better sense of understanding

edit - and yes that turbo will eventually die out because it does not have enough food to sustain itself. Right now it may be small enough but when it gets the size of your fist, you'll get a better sense of understanding

this

is why John said no turbo in a 10 gal. the reason everyone points all cud to reefcleaners is bc John really knows what he's doing and has prices that can't be beat anywhere

I add drie seaweed in for it. It's worth it to me to supplement the turbo bc of how valuable it's proven itself, now that it's all gone, improbably could give him away, but i like him. Xris, I did see that page, and ivused it but no body really knows your tank but yourself. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking alon the same reasoning of why some people's specific species of snails crawl out of the tiniest holes of their tanks, yet I can keep the same species with an open top and it never happened once.

Don't get me wrong, as far as being comprehensive and having the best advice possible,(along with healthy animals and Kick ass filter feeder food) reefcleaners is the best, hence why I am a repeat customer. I'm just saying for op to look for information themselves and not rely on just what one person tells them, even if that one person is John.

Reefcleaners is great; and I order from them but I agree just telling people to go there isn't necessarily helpful. Maybe some recommendations and telling them WHY to go there might help. Plus, this guy seems like he has a pretty full crew already and only needs a couple of items. John will cancel an order if it is too small.

My response to Josh would be:

For glass cleaners Nerites have worked best for me. A lot of people recommend Ceriths, but they don't seem to last long in my tank. Nassarius are good for sand sifters, but I have a hermit who confuses them with cookies.

If your lfs doesn't have anything you can try reefcleaners.org. They have a form you can fill out telling him about what you have right now. He also has some cool macroalgae and other items too look for. Just be careful, if you order 5 snails he might send you 10.

Hopefully not or you won't be able to get rid of any of them.

lmao a few snails here I wish I could fire....surprisingly none in my tank that I would fire tho lol

get ceriths, there great for going through the sand and rocks and up on the glass. My ceriths clean everywhere in the tank and especially the substrate, as they are normally under the sand during the day and come out at night and clean everywhere else, however I see them all over at all times of day cleaning and moving along. My sand is always being mixed thoroughly considering its only .5 inches thick and I have a sand sifting star, fighting conch and about 20 ceriths in a 20gallon lol

get these snails from reefcleaners. i ordered 20 and he sent literally 200+. they are super tiny but with a army of them they are by far the best i have ever seen. they dont move fast but they do the best job. the film algae on my glass didnt stand a chance. also they clean my sand nice too. i have had the big cerith, nerite, trochus, turbo, and everything in between and these have been the best.

Thanks to everyone for the great info... I'm going to get with John from Reefcleaners to see what he recommends. I appreciate all the replies!

Archived