Innovative Marine Aquariums

RO/DI - New unit

Atela

There seems to be an awful lot of water going to waste in processing RO/DI water at home. The water that is left over, that goes down the drain can be used for various things. I'm not sure that I would water my plants, nor wash my car with it, but there sure is a lot of buckets of water 'wasted'. To process 7g of water, I discarded enough water to quench the thirst of 2 banana tree clusters, 2 lemon trees, 1 lime tree, 5 palm trees, 1 calamondin tree, 1 mango tree, 3 papaya trees, 4 pineapples, my herb garden, 4 large potted ferns and a bed containing 4 Ixora shrubs. That was approximately 27 trips from the RO/DI unit out to the yard carrying buckets containing approximately 3-4 gallons of the discarded water. Now granted, these all needed a drink, but is the water safe enough for them? That's approximately 81 gallons of water!!!

What do others do with the discarded water?

There seems to be an awful lot of water going to waste in processing RO/DI water at home. The water that is left over, that goes down the drain can be used for various things. I'm not sure that I would water my plants, nor wash my car with it, but there sure is a lot of buckets of water 'wasted'. To process 7g of water, I discarded enough water to quench the thirst of 2 banana tree clusters, 2 lemon trees, 1 lime tree, 5 palm trees, 1 calamondin tree, 1 mango tree, 3 papaya trees, 4 pineapples, my herb garden, 4 large potted ferns and a bed containing 4 Ixora shrubs. That was approximately 27 trips from the RO/DI unit out to the yard carrying buckets containing approximately 3-4 gallons of the discarded water. Now granted, these all needed a drink, but is the water safe enough for them? That's approximately 81 gallons of water!!!

What do others do with the discarded water?

What ro/di system do you have?

81 gallons of waste water for 7 gallons of ro/di water sounds pretty high.

I think I get about a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio.

In the summer, I plan on using the waste water outdoors. Winter here in Maine, the bulk of it goes down the drain.

That's a good way to put the "waste water" to use. About the only thing I wouldn't do with it is drink it. Fill up a kiddy pool, water the lawn, wash the car etc, etc. The water itself is fine, just not good to use for quariums is all.

edit: of course Gravy beat me to it, but it does sound like an excessive amount of waste water.

As far as I know, the waste water from an RODI unit is perfectly safe for things like watering plants, etc. I don't think the RODI unit adds anything to the water that wasn't already coming from your tap, so if you're ok giving your plants tap water, the RODI waste water should do just fine.

RODI units do waste a lot of water. I think mine got about 7:1 last time I checked (7 gallons waste to every 1 gallon pure). My reject water goes down the drain for now, until I can figure out something else to do with it. Be sure to check the input pressure levels into the unit, too. Water pressure below the recommended minimum can make RODI units less efficient.

The waste ratio shoule be 4:1 if you have the proper flow restrictor. Thats 28 gallons of waste to 7 gallons of treated water. If you are getting more than that you need a new flow restrictor, a capillary tube type is best since you can trim it yourself to get to an exact 4:1 waste ratio unlike the fixed ones that are rarely correct.

They run $4 to $5 at places like www.spectrapure.com or www.buckeyefieldsupply.com.

Wasting too much also makes the RO less efficient since the water going down the drain robs pressure needed to osmose or force water through the RO membrane.

The brine or waste from a properly adjusted system is as safe as the source water was to begin with except the TDS will be about 20 to 25% higher since it contains the concentrated TDS from that treated gallon also. Other than drinking, washing my car or putting it in my swimming pool I would use it for about anything else.

Quote from Aegeon:

As far as I know, the waste water from an RODI unit is perfectly safe for things like watering plants
Tell that to my orchids! Regular tap water is some of the worst water for orchids. Tomato plants are not always happy with it either. Sweet avatar you got there!

Gravy - It's a 5 stage Plus unit. Only used 1 time. Just got it about 1 week ago. Psi is set at 60. Do I need to make an adjustment here?

Desert Rat - 28 gallons is still a lot of waste. Double that for a month...56g. That's quite an increase in the monthly water bill.

My neighbor has a big tank that he gathers rain water in. I may just have to get one to store my nasty water in to use on plants. I came from parents who went through the 'depression era'. Nothing was aloud to be wasted!

Not sure about your water and sewer rates but in Phoenix its about $5 per 1,000 gallons between the water and sewer you can make 200 gallons of water and have 800 gallons of waste for 5 bucks. Pretty inexpensive really.

28 gallons is still a lot of waste. Double that for a month...56g. That's quite an increase in the monthly water bill.

Well, I try to put in perspective. In most places, water is cheap. An extra 50 gallons won't add that much to your water bill.

Every time you flush your toilet, you use about 1 gallon of water. An Energy Star rated dishwasher uses 4-6 gallons of water every time it runs. A top-loading clothes washer uses up to 40 gallons of water for every load of laundry. Every 10 minute shower uses 25-50 gallons of water, depending on your showerhead.

56 gallons is more-or-less an extra shower or additional load of laundry each month.

Watering the lawn with it is what i do, i run my waste line into a hose that then sends the water outside to the front lawn. pretty much in the end i dont need to water the lawn any more :P

Archived