Innovative Marine Aquariums

What chemicals do I need when starting up my reef tank?

chabooky386

post-71617-1326425217_thumb.jpg

Just got the tank painted and my Coralife lights in...

I am piecing my tank together and by next week I should be putting water in my tank. I am buying my water at the LFS. I am looking to cycle my tank for about 3 weeks with my live rock and then slowly adding my corals. Question here is what chemicals would I need to add to make sure everything is safe and my levels are ok?

stuff like stress zyme and what not. i can't remember what I used to use for my freshwater tank. I don't know if these chemicals are needed as well...

Chemicals? :huh:

Salt is it for now. When your tank gets established and water changes alone do not keep up with the demand to maintain alkalinity and calcium levels where they need to be then you'll need to get one of several products to supplement. Alk is supplemented with sodium bicarbonate (sold as buffer). Calcium is supplemented with calcium chloride. Usually people start with a 2 part, part A & B and there are a few different brands. Cheapest is found at BRS.

No need for any type of bacteria in a bottle to kick start a cycle. LFS's will love to sell you stuff to make money.

Salt is it for now. When your tank gets established and water changes alone do not keep up with the demand to maintain alkalinity and calcium levels where they need to be then you'll need to get one of several products to supplement. Alk is supplemented with sodium bicarbonate (sold as buffer). Calcium is supplemented with calcium chloride. Usually people start with a 2 part, part A & B and there are a few different brands. Cheapest is found at BRS.

No need for any type of bacteria in a bottle to kick start a cycle. LFS's will love to sell you stuff to make money.

+1, excatly, could not have said it any better.

Forgive me for my noobish questions but BRS is??? (bulk reef supply)? or am i totally off?

So basically all I need to get is calcium chloride & buffer?

BRS is = bulk reef supply = yes

Alk + cal and others = some day, not right now.

just get test kits, water,salt,pumps,rocks, and read and read and read and read more than you can handle daily.. about everything you can about the type of setup and what you want in your tank..

Also have fun and ask questions.

just get test kits, water,salt,pumps,rocks, and read and read and read and read more than you can handle daily.. about everything you can about the type of setup and what you want in your tank..

+1 well said. dont wast money on any "chemicals" for a long time. In fact, if you use the proper salt, and keep up on water changes, there is a good chance you will NEVER need to dose anything on a small tank

Thanks for your generosity and help. Could you maybe link me a good brand from BRS to look at for calcium and what not?

So basically all I need to get is calcium chloride & buffer?

Nope.

Ya need nothing. Wanna spend some money?...Spend it on this:

1) Basic API test kit ... Amm / Nitrite / Nitrate ....all ya need

2) RO/DI system with a dual in-line TDS meter and make your own water.

3) A turkey baster to clean off your LR in tank every so often

4) 2-3 5 gallon buckets.

The only concern you'll have for the next several months is #1

Even with basic softies and a little LPS, your WC's will take care of everything.

How big is the tank ...20L? And the fixture ... a 2x T5?

good luck on your setup .... nice tank.

Thanks for your generosity and help. Could you maybe link me a good brand from BRS to look at for calcium and what not?

I'm confused, you are here for help. There are several people here trying to help you. Is there a reason you aren't listening?

Nope.

4) 2-3 5 gallon buckets.

Even with basic softies and a little LPS, your WC's will take care of everything.

listen to this guy, and everyone else for that matter. You havent been given any bad advice yet.

Anytime chabooky386..

other than BRS, I would not know where to get this stuff yet, I get my guy to drive from his place to my front door, everytime, knock on wood, Ive not had to leave the house to get anything for my bowfront,, yet.

I am just trying to be 10 steps ahead with my ordering. I want to have everything I need here in my house by the time I am don cycling my tank. Ordering and shipping takes a good minute to get to my house. I just hate paying retail prices at the LFS. lol... Thanks for all your help guys! ;)

I'm confused, you are here for help. There are several people here trying to help you. Is there a reason you aren't listening?

listen to this guy, and everyone else for that matter. You havent been given any bad advice yet.

Thanks!

Nope.

4) 2-3 5 gallon buckets.

ok well if you wanna spend money?

stop buying water at LFS, who knows whats really in it, and buy a RODI unit. what one excatly?

this is where the reading starts. :happy:

Your excited and motivated with a pocket full of cash ... that's good.

Just remember, bad things happen fast in this hobby.

The more ya micro manage and fall for the "snake oil" or "magic bullet" in a bottle ... its gonna get ugly.

Proof:

look at the forum posts each day.

"My LFS said if I use this I can fish and corals tomorrow...."

" What's wrong with my tank? I used Amquel with my tap water and now everything's dead"

^...one of my personal fav's btw^

"HELP ASAP" .... insert random problem here.

"Can I lower my temps by doing a WC with cold water?" ... another one I like

The list goes on and on my friend.

Get your rock and water, fillerup ( with RO/DI+ salt ) and forget you even have a tank for a week.

Then ... test with the API kit every 4 days.

After ya get a diatom bloom and that goes away all by itself .... come on back ... lol

Every reply in this thread is like All State Insurance .... your in good hands

Best-o-luck ...again

My dad is a type of guy that goes in the barber shop and if he can't get a haircut right away he leaves. I am the same way... I screwed up my first 72 gallon bowfront from going to the LFS and unloading my wallet there. This time around I am reading and reading and I am getting way too excited... I just bought my rock from BRS... The waiting begins... -_-

Your excited and motivated with a pocket full of cash ... that's good.

Just remember, bad things happen fast in this hobby.

The more ya micro manage and fall for the "snake oil" or "magic bullet" in a bottle ... its gonna get ugly.

Proof:

look at the forum posts each day.

"My LFS said if I use this I can fish and corals tomorrow...."

" What's wrong with my tank? I used Amquel with my tap water and now everything's dead"

^...one of my personal fav's btw^

"HELP ASAP" .... insert random problem here.

"Can I lower my temps by doing a WC with cold water?" ... another one I like

The list goes on and on my friend.

Get your rock and water, fillerup ( with RO/DI+ salt ) and forget you even have a tank for a week.

Then ... test with the API kit every 4 days.

After ya get a diatom bloom and that goes away all by itself .... come on back ... lol

Every reply in this thread is like All State Insurance .... your in good hands

Best-o-luck ...again

Indeed that is key...

Best chemical you can buy is patience. If you find it cheap let me know.

LOL thanks for the next item on the list... BRS HERE I COME!

ok well if you wanna spend money?

stop buying water at LFS, who knows whats really in it, and buy a RODI unit. what one excatly?

this is where the reading starts. :happy:

Archived