Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chemi-pure elite & Purigen

Deputy_Pooh

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... I have a 75 gallon freshwater that has 3 monster catfish a peacock bass and 5 sevrums... I use purgin and chemipure... Havent dont a water change in months, havent cleaned the filter in months, and the water is perfect... To say they dont do anything is beyond silly IMO, and you dont recharge GFO with bleach... Purgin is something LIKE GFO, its not GFO. I dont soak my RO filters in bleach and expect clean water... Yes one of the stages in my 5 stage filter is GFO fyi. I highly recommend Purgin, dont see why you have such an issue with it? That it could leak into your tank? if carbon 'dust' leaks into your tank it could kill everything as well... Your tanks do look fine so maybe it works for you but in my experences I like purgin, thats my 2 cents.

I guess I could say use the search and you'll already find umpteen number of topics about it already.. dont get your panties in a wad.

Mike...

You forgot to add that it cures cancer!!

But I do use this combo and I will say that after I put a new bag of CPE in the water has a very nice polished look to it. Better even after I've done a water change!

Well for one, no one can agree upon when it should actually be replaced. But, it's Carbon and GFO.. in a bag. If one were to run just carbon, it's recommended to replace once a month.. so are we saying chemipure is magic carbon and lasts twice as long... simply put.. no. GFO is best used in a reactor and not being pulverized between some Carbon. So one could say that the GFO granuals are being crushed in the chemipure bag and well.. put right into your tank. Is it harmful.. no. None of it leaches stuff back into your tank. Convenient, yea sure..

Onto the purigen.. your weekly water changes are going to remove far more dissolved organics than a little bag of beads..

Yeah yeah i getcha... maybe i was grumpy..

:grouphug:

Go buy carbon and gfo and gtfo!

People like this guy should just stay away from these forums. They know all that is good... Your Way is dumb and they offer no good advice...dont even respond next time and if you do perhaps reply in a more pleasant tone. Just my 2 cents...oh and I use Purigen, FFloss and a bag of carbon on my Media Rack in my 22g CAD..Water changes, Cheato and No skimmer...but even after years of doing this I am still learning. Always Learning MikeTR Always Learning ;)

When I first started my 10G nano I was using Chemi-Pure Elite, never had a problem and everything was great. I started reading more and more about the Purigen so I decided to check out some reviews. Everything I was reading was nothing but 100% positive feed back on the product. It claims to be much better than anything else out there so I gave it a try. In my HOB filter I have filter floss and only Purigen and the tank has been beautiful. I think both products do what they say they do and that both do a good job at keeping the water clean and in check. But the Purigen is supposed to last longer and at only $10 a bag, I think I can afford to change that out every few months. Supposed to be able to swap every 4-6 but I find in my 10G after about 2 months it starts to change color and need to be replaced. I also take the extra care in washing it with RODI when I change my filter floss.

Well my 28 cube has been up and running for almost a year and have used chemi-pure and purgen the whole time and have seen great results. I change my chemi-pure at 5 months and my purgen about 2 months or longer and never seen any spikes of any kind since I started my tank so....they can last awhile.

Purigen is a great product. Suggested it on many tanks with cyano problems and it usually nukes it in a few days. My dosage for it is 100mL bag per 30gal (1 bag for a 28gal nano). If a tank has a lot of red slime on the ground - this dosage can clear it up in as little as 2-3 days.

People like this guy should just stay away from these forums. They know all that is good... Your Way is dumb and they offer no good advice...dont even respond next time and if you do perhaps reply in a more pleasant tone. Just my 2 cents...oh and I use Purigen, FFloss and a bag of carbon on my Media Rack in my 22g CAD..Water changes, Cheato and No skimmer...but even after years of doing this I am still learning. Always Learning MikeTR Always Learning ;)

And this is coming from someone with 15 posts? Not that post count means anything, but I'm pretty sure all of my 2000+ posts are useless.. Pardon me for actually owning an aquaculture business at one point and sponsoring nano-reef at $125/mo..

If you're too lazy to bag your own carbon and GFO, then yes, spend spend spend. I however will continue to buy 50lb bags of dowflake at $15 a pop instead of a 500g bottle for 9.99. I will also continue to buy bulk carbon and splurge on a $2 bag to put it in.. if I chose to use it. ah hell.. i'm done..

And this is coming from someone with 15 posts? Not that post count means anything, but I'm pretty sure all of my 2000+ posts are useless.. Pardon me for actually owning an aquaculture business at one point and sponsoring nano-reef at $125/mo..

If you're too lazy to bag your own carbon and GFO, then yes, spend spend spend. I however will continue to buy 50lb bags of dowflake at $15 a pop instead of a 500g bottle for 9.99. I will also continue to buy bulk carbon and splurge on a $2 bag to put it in.. if I chose to use it. ah hell.. i'm done..

Just joined Nano-Reef but have been on others for a long time but that doesnt really matter. If you do indeed support this site thats great..and much appreciated by everyone! I would expect however that a supporter would be a little more professional when commenting on a very fair question. Your responses lack substance and are filled with attitude which I think is unnecessary. Thats just my opinion. No harm no foul. :D

• 1 month later...
MOJOEJOEJOE
so after a nice 2 weeks off.. I's back, with some more useful and supporting information.

What's most concerning about the article is the significant drop in pH (alk is only slightly effected) that is caused by adding GFO to a system.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/2/chemistry

I thimk you all should listen to MikeTR he makes many good points. Probably not the most politically correct approach but he is entertaining and has obviously done something right because his tank kicks ass.

I think you all should listen to MikeTR he makes many good points. Probably not the most politically correct approach but he is entertaining and has obviously done something right because his tank kicks ass.
  • 2 weeks later...
GTO NEMESIS

It needs changing every 4-6 months according to the instructions:

52df442b.jpg

It also take a good 10 mins of running water to clear the dirty water.

This is what happened to mine after 5 mins of running water:

8e30b28b.jpg

And this is the stuff that comes out of it:

8f3271a1.jpg

f8bfe349.jpg

I would also recommend that you keep it way from white stone worktops! (Silestone in my case)

Oh it stains your hands too.

Captain Hook

Chemipure elite is mostly activated carbon and most people discard activated carbon after 2 weeks. Ive tried chemipure and it didnt really do much other than polish the water and collect alot of detritus on the bag. Now I have no carbon just biological filtration and a skimmer and my corals are loving it.

Archived