Pod Your Reef

Chemi-pure elite & Purigen

Deputy_Pooh

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my media basket I have chemi-pure elite & purigen. When do I need to replace these?

Purigen will change color when it needs to be changed or cleaned. I would just replace it rather than clean it though. Never used chemipure

And I went to UCF too. Back in the mid 90's though. Played football there. go Knights!

In my media basket I have chemi-pure elite & purigen. When do I need to replace these?

I replace my Chemi-pure every3-4 weeks max. Cant speak for Purigen tho.

Chemi Pure usually says 3-4 months on just about any description on any website but i think those standards are more toward freshwater. Personally i think that switching it out more often maintains a better water quality and you run a slimmer chance of there being a Nitrate build up over that amount of time. What ever the package or website says I would think would be max and easier to achieve in freshwater. For a reef system I would at least cut the suggested amount of time in half.

Chemi Pure usually says 3-4 months on just about any description on any website but i think those standards are more toward freshwater. Personally i think that switching it out more often maintains a better water quality and you run a slimmer chance of there being a Nitrate build up over that amount of time. What ever the package or website says I would think would be max and easier to achieve in freshwater. For a reef system I would at least cut the suggested amount of time in half.

good thought. I think i'll try 2 months..

Thats what the direction says but wut do ppl really swap a new bag out in? I just wanna keep my water level constant as it is now.

Actually the directions say 6-8 months on chemi pure but that is too long. The GFO will be spent sooner than 3 months but it is a good guideline.

Sooner would always be better but it's your tank and your money

Oh come on you cant be serious. Why do you feel that way?

I'm curious to know the answer to that question as well. Using both seems to be nearly standard practice around here....and I plan on using it myself.

His tank build mentions that he used (I'm assuming past tense) it in the past. He must have had a change of heart.

From Sept 2009: "Only have a few mods.. media rack in center chamber running floss on top, chaeto with 5w submersible light 24/7, purigen/chemipure on the bottom. "

Both are useless products.

On a small system, this is totally untrue. Purigen especially is great. It just makes you look like an ass to come on a thread where someone has a legitimate question, and say somthing like that with out backing it up.

Purigen I regenerate once I see that it's browning out... Chemipure i replace about month n half to 2 months in.

Give them a good rinsing whenever you do a w/c.. and when regenerating purigen take your time and rinse it out good. I dechlorinate it atleast two times before putting it back to my tank.

3-4 weeks max?! that guy has some deep pockets lol. But when i did use chemipure (havent' in awhile even though i have a new container on my shelf) i would wash the bag out pretty well in old waterchange water before putting it back in. I would get HUGE amounts of brown gunk out of it when i had my old 15 gallon running

surgicalsense

Chemipure Elite is every 6 to 8 months and Purigen every 4 to 6 and/or you can either reactivate it or toss it out and buy a new replacement. Do not forget your filter floss which is once a week or depending on how dirty/clean your tank is running...

:)

I use both in my current BC29. I change them out about every 2 months or so. I change my filter floss about once a week sometimes 2 weeks. Some people on here don't believe in the combo or either one for that matter. Some use Carbon and GFO as a replacement. In a larger system I can see that being the way to go since the Chemi-Pure Elite and Purigen are not the cheapest things in the world. But for smaller systems, I think they both work great!

Thank u for all of your response and advise with these two products. I think i will change both out every 2 months and clean the used bags once a month. My tank is running perfect with them in so I really dont want to put any new products in.

Call me an ass if you want. My tank speaks for itself, and it's just been runnin on filter floss and water changes alone since April. So I'll have to put my money where my mouth is now and get some new pics up.. but seriously, what are you guys putting in your tanks that you think you need to filter out? I guess I'm good at not pissing off my coral so dont worry about warfare.. I'm well overstocked.. but it works.. pair of clowns, royal gramma, 6 anenomes in a BC14.. yeah you read it... 6. (NOT recommended for the beginner) Only the RBTA likes to split on occasion and the one that splits takes a hike and I sell him, it keeps the original small and it works for this tank. The maxi nems and rock flower nems dont move ever.. Also have a nice ric garden, zoas, HUGE green sinularia and green yuma .. florescent green caulastrea... I still run the media rack so I don't have to listen to splashing water in the back since I don't have bioballs. The only thing I would add is to run chaeto again in the media rack but I'm not payin retarded prices for an LED light to grow it, and there's not a viable option for submersible lighting anymore.

On my 75g frag tank I only run a filter sock and a badass skimmer but it only has 2 fish. Purely for propogation and holding tank until I get the 180g goin.

So tell me that it's needed.

Call me an ass if you want. My tank speaks for itself, and it's just been runnin on filter floss and water changes alone since April. So I'll have to put my money where my mouth is now and get some new pics up.. but seriously, what are you guys putting in your tanks that you think you need to filter out? I guess I'm good at not pissing off my coral so dont worry about warfare.. I'm well overstocked.. but it works.. pair of clowns, royal gramma, 6 anenomes in a BC14.. yeah you read it... 6. (NOT recommended for the beginner) Only the RBTA likes to split on occasion and the one that splits takes a hike and I sell him, it keeps the original small and it works for this tank. The maxi nems and rock flower nems dont move ever.. Also have a nice ric garden, zoas, HUGE green sinularia and green yuma .. florescent green caulastrea... I still run the media rack so I don't have to listen to splashing water in the back since I don't have bioballs. The only thing I would add is to run chaeto again in the media rack but I'm not payin retarded prices for an LED light to grow it, and there's not a viable option for submersible lighting anymore.

On my 75g frag tank I only run a filter sock and a badass skimmer but it only has 2 fish. Purely for propogation and holding tank until I get the 180g goin.

No one ever said its needed. Just wanted to hear why you didnt like it. You have explained why it is unneeded but what do you actually have against it? do you feel it causes harm in some way?

Well for one, no one can agree upon when it should actually be replaced. But, it's Carbon and GFO.. in a bag. If one were to run just carbon, it's recommended to replace once a month.. so are we saying chemipure is magic carbon and lasts twice as long... simply put.. no. GFO is best used in a reactor and not being pulverized between some Carbon. So one could say that the GFO granuals are being crushed in the chemipure bag and well.. put right into your tank. Is it harmful.. no. None of it leaches stuff back into your tank. Convenient, yea sure..

Onto the purigen.. your weekly water changes are going to remove far more dissolved organics than a little bag of beads..

Well for one, no one can agree upon when it should actually be replaced. But, it's Carbon and GFO.. in a bag. If one were to run just carbon, it's recommended to replace once a month.. so are we saying chemipure is magic carbon and lasts twice as long... simply put.. no. GFO is best used in a reactor and not being pulverized between some Carbon. So one could say that the GFO granuals are being crushed in the chemipure bag and well.. put right into your tank. Is it harmful.. no. None of it leaches stuff back into your tank. Convenient, yea sure..

Onto the purigen.. your weekly water changes are going to remove far more dissolved organics than a little bag of beads..

Chemi-pure elite has GFO and Chemi-pure doesn't. So if you get Chemi-pure and run a Phosban reactor with GFO you will be good.

There's a big difference between "I don't use them" and "Both are useless products".

Your last two posts were more interesting and informative than your first.

-Gravy

:shrug:

Incendiary comment. Check.

Expected response. Check.

Feigned innocence and suggestion to get thicker skin. Check.

:lol:

You used it yourself 2 years ago. Now you say it's useless. What did you think the response would be? Seems reasonable someone would ask you why you've changed your mind. Just sayin...

edit: Honestly, just here to learn... Someone with 2.2k+ posts and nice looking tanks says that a product I'm about to spend $$$ on is useless, and I'm curious. End of story!

I see your point. I also have a 75g with nothing in my sump but a sock and a uv sterelizer and it runs perfect. but with the size of the water quantity in a BC14 Im scared to run it empty. I was thinking of running chaeto bc i wud save money from not having to replace one of those bags. stevie t has the underwater light for under $20 and a jbj led light for roughly $60. But I dont kno wut the reviews are on those lights.

Archived