Cultivated Reef

Filter question

JamieSheffield

JamieSheffield

G'morning NR,

I'm currently running an AC70 as a HOB refugium on the back of my 10G tank, and also a canister filter for additional flow as well as floss and purigen.

I was thinking about streamlining the process by getting rid of the canister, for the sake of simplicity, and adding a small koralia powerhead (240 or 425) to increase/control the flow in my tank.

My question is what do you think of this plan? Would it make sense to transfer floss and purigen into a first section of the HOB, or would that make it too crowded and cut down efficiency?

Thanks for your help!

Jamie

Shiznizz I just getting to bed. I'd take the canister out. The ac70 will do fine on a ten gallon. Sell the canister for frag money

I agree, ditch the canister, add the PH and enjoy. Or, do like I did, add a second HOB filter and use it as a mechanical filter and additional water flow. Just my 2 cents worth. Let us know what you decide on doing.

G'morning NR,

I'm currently running an AC70 as a HOB refugium on the back of my 10G tank, and also a canister filter for additional flow as well as floss and purigen.

I was thinking about streamlining the process by getting rid of the canister, for the sake of simplicity, and adding a small koralia powerhead (240 or 425) to increase/control the flow in my tank.

My question is what do you think of this plan? Would it make sense to transfer floss and purigen into a first section of the HOB, or would that make it too crowded and cut down efficiency?

Thanks for your help!

Jamie

I went through the same crisis on my 10g tank, and decided the canister was too much of a pain to keep clean and switch out media plus it can leach nitrates if not properly maintained. The AC70 is alot easier to work with, and I also opted for the koralia. It worked well, especially since the ac70 seems to put alot of current towards the front of the display area, I was getting a bit of cyano on the sandbed behind my rocks, and once I threw the koralia in, problem was solved. So I think with just an ac70 you may need some more circulation. Hope your sexy shrimp are doing well!!!

Archived